Maryland Concealed Carry Permit Survey

Are you in favor of easier access to CCP in MD?

• Yes

Votes: 43 95.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Currently these are the requirements to carry in Maryland:
Requirements:
1. Is 18 years of age or older.
2. Has not been convicted of a felony or of a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year.
3. Has not been committed within the previous 10 years to any juvenile detention center for longer than one year.
4. Is not an addict or alcoholic nor has ever been convicted of a narcotics offense.
5. Has not, based on the results of investigation, exhibited a propensity for violence or instability.
6. Has, based on the results of investigation, “good and substantial reason” to carry a handgun, including a finding that the permit is “necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger.”

Violent crime is decreasing in the state. The 1990s were a violent time with annual violent crime incidents exceeding 40,000 events per year. Since 2011 the number of incidents has been less than 30,000 occurrences.

MD crime stats 1960-2013

Do you feel that the ability to carry a firearm should be relaxed in the state? I'm looking to see if there are people that want to be able to choose to carry. I'm not looking for this to turn into a debate.

TIA

Last edited:

baxter

Look at Texas and Alaska, the most permits issued in any two states,,,crime rate is LOW,,,,study id done,,,,,
I have my MD carry permit

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
I would like for people to be able to get a permit if they choose to, if there's no reason to disqualify it should be legal

Vince

Requirements:
1. Is 18 years of age or older.
2. Has not been convicted of a felony or of a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year.
3. Has not been committed within the previous 10 years to any juvenile detention center for longer than one year.
4. Is not an addict or alcoholic nor has ever been convicted of a narcotics offense.
5. Has not, based on the results of investigation, exhibited a propensity for violence or instability.
6. Has, based on the results of investigation, “good and substantial reason” to carry a handgun, including a finding that the permit is “necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger.”
I'm OK on all of them except no. 6. Why do I need a "good and substantial reason" to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights?

somdwatch

Currently these are the requirements to carry in Maryland:

Violent crime is decreasing in the state. The 1990s were a violent time with annual violent crime incidents exceeding 40,000 events per year. Since 2011 the number of incidents has been less than 30,000 occurrences.

MD crime stats 1960-2013

Do you feel that the ability to carry a firearm should be relaxed in the state? I'm looking to see if there are people that want to be able to choose to carry. I'm not looking for this to turn into a debate.

TIA

Based on these requirements (Except # 6), Maryland should become a SHALL issue state.

Yes, I would carry when I choose to do so.

frequentflier

happy to be living
It is my understanding that business owners that can prove they carry large amounts of cash can get one more readily than others. I have been told it is very difficult to get one otherwise.
Anyone?

Vince

It is my understanding that business owners that can prove they carry large amounts of cash can get one more readily than others. I have been told it is very difficult to get one otherwise.
Anyone?
If you can show you carry large amounts of cash to the bank, that should be a "good and substantial" reason, but remember this is Maryland.

stew77

I agree with them all except #6. Why should I be denied my 2nd rights, and have to "prove" to the State Police (or anyone) that I am a responsible person who knows how to handle a weapon?? Sure I don't want a bazooka, nor a fully automatic weapon; just a weapon that I feel protected with?? I think Md should be a "shall issue" state. Nuff said!!

Chris0nllyn

Crime rates should be no indication or driver for law abiding and sane citizens to carry a weapon.

Subtract #6 and MD is just like the other 44 states that are shall-issue.

WVGIRL

It's pretty much don't waste your time or money. Why do you need a good reason? I think going to the Park after 6:00 is a good enough reason.

Roman

It's pretty much don't waste your time or money. Why do you need a good reason? I think going to the Park after 6:00 is a good enough reason.
I agree with you, but going to the park is becoming unsafe no matter what time of day it is.!

DEEKAYPEE8569

I'm OK on all of them except no. 6. Why do I need a "good and substantial reason" to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights?

Maryland Shall Issue (MSI) wants to abolish "G&S." Wants to. I have periodically checked their website. I haven't seen any forward progress.
Would I carry? H*ll yes! It only takes one time for it to be, '.....if only he had had a gun.' MD lawmakers are just afraid of; I think it's called "O.K. Corral Syndrome." But.....look south; VA, NC; and southwest; TN.....those folks live in shall-issue states. You don't hear about registered gun owners with CCW's going on shooting sprees. The fear is that that will happen here.

Last edited:

Chris0nllyn

Maryland Shall Issue (MSI) wants to abolish "G&S." Wants to. I have periodically checked their website. I haven't seen any forward progress.
WouldI carry? H*ll yes! It only takes one time for it to be, '.....if only he had had a gun.' MD lawmakers are just afraid of; I think it's called "O.K. Corral Syndrome." But.....look south; VA, NC; and southwest; TN.....those folks live in shall-issue states. You don't hear about registered gun owners with CCW's going on shooting sprees. The fear is that that will happen here.

There's been a bunch of progress. It's up to the legislature right now.

Chris0nllyn

But what is the mindset amongst the legislators? 'Oh no, we cannot pass shall-issue in Maryland.' 'There will be blood in the streets!' (?)

Probably the same as it has always been. There's been some shakeups though. Republicans leading a few committees, and the MSP had "no stance" on the bills. Much different than even last year where they were there fighting to keep the status quo.

DEEKAYPEE8569

Probably the same as it has always been. There's been some shakeups though. Republicans leading a few committees, and the MSP had "no stance" on the bills. Much different than even last year where they were there fighting to keep the status quo.

I haven't kept up with shall-issue progress in Maryland. Is there presently a bill in the State legislature to pass something that will make it easier for us to get a CCW; or is any such bill destined to die in committee, like all the others before it?

Chris0nllyn

I haven't kept up with shall-issue progress in Maryland. Is there presently a bill in the State legislature to pass something that will make it easier for us to get a CCW; or is any such bill destined to die in committee, like all the others before it?

Yes. SB100 makes it clear that self defense is a "good and substantial reason" to get a CCW permit.

Hearings were had 2 weeks ago.

https://legiscan.com/MD/bill/SB100/2015

DEEKAYPEE8569

Yes. SB100 makes it clear that self defense is a "good and substantial reason" to get a CCW permit.

Hearings were had 2 weeks ago.

Yeah.....two weeks ago. That's probably as far as this will go.

I like the last two commenters' posts. They just make sense.

"Ronald Jackson · Top Commenter"

"Constitutional carry please? I understand we need to take baby steps, but why should I have to ask the state for permission to exercise a right?"

"Fred Bahr · Chaplain Lt.Col. at Maryland Defense Force"

"SB100 isn't a partisan issue, it's a 2nd Amendment issue reflecting the right, not a privilege to carry a firearm and the term "self-defense" should be grounds for DSP to issue permit."

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Subtract #6 and MD is just like the other 44 states that are shall-issue.

Adding "for self defense" to the short list of "good and substantial" reasons under #6 makes sense to me. I believe that is what some of the legislators are at least contemplating doing.

Chris0nllyn

Adding "for self defense" to the short list of "good and substantial" reasons under #6 makes sense to me. I believe that is what some of the legislators are at least contemplating doing.

That's what SB100 does.

Oral arguments for the Kolbe case (challenging the assault weapon ban and mag restrictions/FSA2013) started a few days ago. Just based on the judges, it looks promising. 1 judge appointed to the case was one of the original ones that upheld the law. The other 2 have voted in favor of 2A cases and heavily cited Heller in other cases.

One of the Judges asked if a 6-shot revolver was protected by the 2A, and the State said it was. Then he asked if the Glock he keeps on his nightstand with 15 rounds in it was protected, and he wouldn't answer. He eventually did say it was, then was asked why a semi-auto rifle wouldn't be.

Here's links to oral arguments if anyone wants to listen. It's listed under Stephen Kolbe vs. Hogan. (Right click and save target as to listen to the MP3)
http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/oral-argument/listen-to-oral-arguments