Maryland Eventers! Seeking mentor…

ThreePs

Adult seeking lessons with experienced eventer who competes or has students who do. Have been receiving instruction from very active eventer in Leesburg for the past nine months but the commute is just too far. Instructor must have access to lesson horses. Grew up in a classically oriented barn owning my own horses, moved away for some time, then left horses to finish college and now getting back into it. Currently short-term leasing at a dressage barn while searching for instruction. I check email more regularly than PMs: malibumorgan@gmail.com.

Ideal situation is not a lesson mill or even a professional barn such as Waredaca, but an individual who may not be a full time instructor but actively competes, attends clinics, or coaches and would welcome competent adult assistance ringside. I do not show but wish to learn more about competition and all aspects of eventing.

I fear not owning or showing would render me a low priority student at larger barns. I do not want to get out of the car, onto the horse, then back into the car. I am an eager but careful student with soft hands and who strives to keep an open mind and always maintains the best interest of the horse.

Live and work in Alexandria so ideally barn would be in Upper Marlboro area. Lower SOMD (ie St. Mary’s) is too far. Please email me malibumorgan@gmail.com.

I hope I was clear with what I am seeking: lessons with lesson horses; active coach competes and seeks continuing education. Would like to be welcome to attend trials and lend a hand while spectating. I had just this arrangement and it has worked beautifully except that the 1.5+ hour commute was ruining the fun. Unfortunately that coach’s contacts are in the Middleburg area and she is unable to refer me to Maryland eventers.

Last edited:

ThreePs

What about Waredaca?

Thanks for the tips DevineJ; Dodon Farm's site states lessons are available on own horse. That's my dilemma: do not own but do not want to go the route of a lesson mill.

Sam's website does not specify lesson horses but maybe they do have one or two available. I worked with her back before she had her own place (when I owned my own horses) so it's worth a shot...

Does anyone have any first hand experience lessoning at Waredaca? How big are the classes? How many instructors? It seems they do not have an indoor and have "sessions" of lessons that start on X date and end on X date. Is this correct?

Any other suggestions? malibumorgan@gmail.com.

Thanks!

devinej

i don't know about lessons at waredaca, but they do have an indoor. its dressage size. its a nice farm and they do host events there pretty often.

there's another farm, i think its called bascule farm somewhere in this area that might do lessons on their horses. Bascule Farm - Home

covekat

How about Reddemeade? I also have a friend who Events, teaches and is right outside the beltway in Montgomery County. PM me if your interested.

webbcutey

FYI, Sam Allan does have lesson horses. I ride her horses dressage, I don't jump.

And she just completed the Fair Hill CCI 2*.