Maryland Horse Council

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
The Maryland Horse Council-Trails & Greenways will be holding their 3rd meeting to be hosted by SMTR.
Speakers will include, Linda Kelly, County Commisioner from Calvert County which will be presenting to us a brand new horse facility that is in the makings called Kings Landing. Also speaking will be one of the Veterinarians from SMEVS on preventing Equine Communicable Disease. We will also be discussing keeping the trails open in Southern Maryland.
There will be time for socializing with many trail riding clubs throughout MD attending with information about their organization and memberships.
This meeting is open to all equestrians. Hope to see you there!
October 11th (this Wednesday)
West Lake High School
3300 Middletown Road
Waldorf, MD

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
:howdy: we will see you there. We all love riding the trails in southern Maryland, but without showing our involvement and support of keeping them accessable for equestians and creating new ones out trail riding days on public land may be numbered.

Another GOOD way of meeting and socializing with others that are as passionate about pleasure riding as I am :yay:

I hope to see you all there :howdy:

TotalControl

Leap Of Faith Farm
I am going to try to make it We should all try to wear our SMTR shirts .... :flowers: are we having that other meeting also ??

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
It will be interesting to hear all about Kings Landing in Calvert County. There has not been any public land trails in Calvert County for many years so this is going to be very exciting. Linda Kelley, Co Commisioner, who will be speaking seems to be equestrians friendly, so hopefully this will just be the beginning of many more trails to come. :whistle: and we will also have refreshments afterward :snacks:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
TotalControl said:
I am going to try to make it We should all try to wear our SMTR shirts .... :flowers: are we having that other meeting also ??
my SMTR shirt is sleeveless :frown:
BRR
Percy do you have any with you? To bring along?
I'll be there!!
Oh what time??

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Sparks said:
Did you guys go to the meeting? How did it go?
:howdy: Yes we did go. The meeting was very informative.
Linda Kelley spoke about the renovations they are doing at Kings Landing. It sounds like it will be an outstanding equestrian facility. Right now they have completed the show rings and :clap: there will be a fun show on November 4th. I do not know who is sponcering it as of yet, but I do know that all proceeds will go towards the 18 horses that were rescued. We will get further details on show soon. There was also a representative from the Tuckahoe Horse Facility that told us about a ride/drive trail ride that they are planning. And a speaker that talked extensively about the Maryland Horse Park that is in the planning stages in Anne Arundel County. There are alot of things happening around the State of Maryland equestrian wise. One thing that was really emphasized was that things happen when you contact your County Commisioners. We need to speak up about wanting to see more of the recreation funds spent on meeting our equestrian needs.

Sparks

mygoldnhorse said:
:howdy: Yes we did go. The meeting was very informative.
Linda Kelley spoke about the renovations they are doing at Kings Landing. It sounds like it will be an outstanding equestrian facility. Right now they have completed the show rings and :clap: there will be a fun show on November 4th. I do not know who is sponcering it as of yet, but I do know that all proceeds will go towards the 18 horses that were rescued. We will get further details on show soon. There was also a representative from the Tuckahoe Horse Facility that told us about a ride/drive trail ride that they are planning. And a speaker that talked extensively about the Maryland Horse Park that is in the planning stages in Anne Arundel County. There are alot of things happening around the State of Maryland equestrian wise. One thing that was really emphasized was that things happen when you contact your County Commisioners. We need to speak up about wanting to see more of the recreation funds spent on meeting our equestrian needs.

Where is this Kings Landing located?

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Sparks said:
Where is this Kings Landing located?
It is in Huntingtown. Directions from Prince Frederick would be to go N towards Huntingtown. Take a Left @ 7-11. Make a Left @ Huntingtown Rd. At the Y go straight which will become Kings Landing Road and take it to the end.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
The thing that struck me the most was the fact that the horse community in MD is HUGE, but fractured. We need to come together as a group to get more funding from local, state and federal levels. We need to let them know just how many srong we really are, and more facilities like Maxwell Hall, and Kings Landing will be created and what we currently have will be maintained!! I understand people in some disciplines don't care about others, but when we come together as a group, for the love of equines and equine sports, we can get stuff done that benifits us all.

Peggy Bree sent an email with a link to the MD trail riders yahoo email list, and some other info, if anyone is interested. I'm sure other events can be listed on this list.

To chat about Maryland Trails through e-mail: MarylandTrailRiders@yahoogroups.com
To read Maryland Trail Riders messages on the web: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MarylandTrailRiders/

It was wonderful to finally meet so many of you in person and we appreciated SMTR's hosting the fall Trails and Greenways meeting. I'm looking forward to working together to host another activity in 2007 in Southern Maryland. Terry and I have started brainstorming a few ideas - I'm trying to think up a trail ride, camping trip, or an event that will attract trail riders from other parts of the state, so I'm looking for something unique to Southern Maryland.

I already have 2 other tentative events for 2007 that you might like to know about. First, Tuckahoe Equestrian Center (TEC)on the Eastern Shore is going to invite you to a trail ride/ camping trip at their facilities that might include a "Ride and Drive" sometime in April or May. Second, the League of Maryland Horsemen (LOMH) is going to host a Fall Invitational Trail Riding Weekend at their club in Patapsco State Park that will include members of trail riding clubs throughout MD and PA.

Please let me know what other activities would appeal so TEC and the LOMH can make sure you have a great time at these events - a "Learn to Horse Camp" clinic? a demonstration by the Cowboy Mounted Action Shooters? a presentation of pictures from trail rides at other horse camps in PA and VA? You can e-mail be directly at bree@riva.net.

Thanks for your help!
Peggy Bree
Maryland Horse Council
Trails and Greenways Committee