Maryland HORSE PARK

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
Maryland HORSE PARK Update :-(

Just want to pass this along.

A column from today's Washington Post
"$ 114M Horse Park Abandoned for former Navy Farm"

"Plans to build an elaborate horse park on the site of a former dairy farm in Annarundel County have long divided the community, pitting horse enthusiasts against residents afraid it would increase traffic and congestion. This week's decision by MD officials to abandon the plan might have ended one fight, but the land fate remains undecided.

MD Horse Industry Board Officials said yesterday they dumped their plans after being told by people involved in the bidding process to lease the land that county executive John R. Leopald was preparing a competing bid for the site in Gambrills. They declined to identify who provided them with the info.

Leopald has publicly opposed building the $114M horse park. He declined an interview yesterday and his office declined to confirm whether he is preparing a county proposal for leasing the site. County spokes woman Rhonda Wardlew said Leopald plans to make an announcement tomorrow about the Gambrills property but will not reveal any details until then. "That site is designated agricultural and he intends to utilize every means to keep it agricultural in the true sense of the word," Wardlew said. Federal law requires that whoever leases the land must maintain its rural and ag nature. The more than 800-acre property is a former Naval academy dairy farm still owned by the Navy. The land is leased by MD Sunrise Farm which raises organic cattle, vegetables, and grain. The farm's owner, Edwin Fry, said the county approached him about staying on the property as a sub-contractor should the county win the bid. The bidding will end Monday. "The project was supposed to be a combination of state and local money" said Jim Steele, Chairman of the MD Horse Industry Board. "I was told the county wanted to bid it themselves and if you don't have local people who want the project, there is no point in going forward." The horse park was by far the most publicized and controversial of the plans for the land. State officials wanted to build riding trails, a large amphitheater, hundreds of stalls, and show rings for jumping competitions. Planners estimated the horse park would have generated more than $100M a year in economic activity. "There are a lot of disappointed people" said Pittman, a horse trainer in Davidson would have lobbied for the horse park. "We understand the state's position but don't understand the county's at all." Residents and county officials think the horse park would have brought noise and traffic and forced out one of the state's largest organic farms. Along with the horse park's planners, six other parties had expressed interest in the Gambrills property last year including two companies that want to mine it for sand and gravel. The Navy said it will take months to examine the proposals and make a decision. Meanwhile, the MD Horse Industry Board said it will look for another county in which to build the horse park. Cecil, Carroll, Hartford, and Frederick counties, among others, vied in 2005 for the horse park. "We will regroup and go back to look at the people who applied in the past" Steel said. "There is a demonstrated need for it, so we will go forward and find a site for the horse park."

Last edited:

fredsaid2

Talk is another plan for the land is to mine it for gravel then turn it into a marsh and wetlands park. I wonder if area residents had that option in front of them before lobbying against the horse park?

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
BZHorseMomE said:
Just want to pass this along.

A column from today's Washington Post
"$ 114M Horse Park Abandoned for former Navy Farm"

"Plans to build an elaborate horse park on the site of a former dairy farm in Annarundel County have long divided the community, pitting horse enthusiasts against residents afraid it would increase traffic and congestion. This week's decision by MD officials to abandon the plan might have ended one fight, but the land fate remains undecided.

MD Horse Industry Board Officials said yesterday they dumped their plans after being told by people involved in the bidding process to lease the land that county executive John R. Leopald was preparing a competing bid for the site in Gambrills. They declined to identify who provided them with the info.

Leopald has publicly opposed building the $114M horse park. He declined an interview yesterday and his office declined to confirm whether he is preparing a county proposal for leasing the site. County spokes woman Rhonda Wardlew said Leopald plans to make an announcement tomorrow about the Gambrills property but will not reveal any details until then. "That site is designated agricultural and he intends to utilize every means to keep it agricultural in the true sense of the word," Wardlew said. Federal law requires that whoever leases the land must maintain its rural and ag nature. The more than 800-acre property is a former Naval academy dairy farm still owned by the Navy. The land is leased by MD Sunrise Farm which raises organic cattle, vegetables, and grain. The farm's owner, Edwin Fry, said the county approached him about staying on the property as a sub-contractor should the county win the bid. The bidding will end Monday. "The project was supposed to be a combination of state and local money" said Jim Steele, Chairman of the MD Horse Industry Board. "I was told the county wanted to bid it themselves and if you don't have local people who want the project, there is no point in going forward." The horse park was by far the most publicized and controversial of the plans for the land. State officials wanted to build riding trails, a large amphitheater, hundreds of stalls, and show rings for jumping competitions. Planners estimated the horse park would have generated more than $100M a year in economic activity. "There are a lot of disappointed people" said Pittman, a horse trainer in Davidson would have lobbied for the horse park. "We understand the state's position but don't understand the county's at all." Residents and county officials think the horse park would have brought noise and traffic and forced out one of the state's largest organic farms. Along with the horse park's planners, six other parties had expressed interest in the Gambrills property last year including two companies that want to mine it for sand and gravel. The Navy said it will take months to examine the proposals and make a decision. Meanwhile, the MD Horse Industry Board said it will look for another county in which to build the horse park. Cecil, Carroll, Hartford, and Frederick counties, among others, vied in 2005 for the horse park. "We will regroup and go back to look at the people who applied in the past" Steel said. "There is a demonstrated need for it, so we will go forward and find a site for the horse park."

That's too bad, it would have been the perfect spot for it. Right smack in the middle of the surrounding cities and a beautiful farm to boot. I think Calvert would be a great spot..... :whistle:

SouthernMdRocks

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you!
fredsaid2 said:
Talk is another plan for the land is to mine it for gravel then turn it into a marsh and wetlands park. I wonder if area residents had that option in front of them before lobbying against the horse park?

They don't realize how much that horse park would have done for that area, not to mention their property would have gone way up in value. Guess maybe they prefer the mosqitoes sp??? from swampy wetlands!!! :coffee: