Maryland is the 1st state to ban crib bumpers

Sweet 16

^^8^^
How many fatalities in Maryland are associated with Crib Bumpers exactly??

I was wondering the same thing and what everyone's opinion on using them, or banning them, is. My friends and I all used them without incident and I took them off once my son was able to move around a lot and stand up in his crib. Maybe we were just lucky. :shrug: Thank God we have MOM to take care of our children since we're so lousy at it apparently.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

Attachments

• kidcatcher.jpg
    kidcatcher.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 110

twinoaks207

Having Fun!

Damn, how did we beat california to that?

How many fatalities in Maryland are associated with Crib Bumpers exactly??

I was wondering the same thing and what everyone's opinion on using them, or banning them, is. My friends and I all used them without incident and I took them off once my son was able to move around a lot and stand up in his crib. Maybe we were just lucky. :shrug: Thank God we have MOM to take care of our children since we're so lousy at it apparently.

JFC! Does he want to come and hold our hands while we cross the street, too?

drivingdaisy

I don't think they even know if bumpers are really bad... just that more SIDS deaths occur when there are bumpers (or babies are on their stomachs). They really know NOTHING about SIDS. They just guess based on percentages.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
Anyone wanna bet that in a couple years that reports of head injuries among infants will rise and no one will be able to figure out why?

MarieB

Anyone wanna bet that in a couple years that reports of head injuries among infants will rise and no one will be able to figure out why?

I don't think you would see head injuries. You will just have more babies waking up

I seem to recall that there were questions about some 50 deaths (whether they could be attributed to bumpers), but i think that was over a 10-15 year period. Some of them were caused by infants? getting caught up in ties. I think it's more a question of improper use.

I think an outright ban is ridiculous. I guess I'll have to sell my crib set in another state

Lilypad

Gheeze louiseee, what is the big deal about banning the bumpers till the infant is 6mos.+ old? Go to a home where an infant has died from suffocation then get back to me...I've been there. The bumpers are decoration-it is really worth taking the chance? Damnnn.

mitzi

I think the bumpers originally were used years ago because the babies were getting their heads caught between the rails on the cribs. This was back when the cribs railing was too far apart.

pelers

After I took the bumpers out my kiddo developed a problem with getting his legs stuck between the slats. Maybe we'll just skip the crib phase with the daughter