Maryland Senate votes to overturn after Labor Day school start

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Annapolis, MD- State Senators in Annapolis have voted 31-13 to overturn Governor Larry Hogans executive order starting schools after Labor Day, as reported by WJZ reporter Pat Warren on Twitter.

Senator Bill Ferguson: Senate Bill permitting local boards to determine school calendars passes the Senate by vote of 31-14 today. In explaining my vote, I noted that I support the bill because the issue is a distraction from the heavy lifting we need to do to ensure all children actually can maximize their potential in Maryland. Whether we start before or after Labor Day is almost entirely immaterial to the harder policy questions dealing with the provision of a world class public education system. I hope we can spend more time focusing on those issues with this one now off the Senate floor. #mdpolitics #MDGA19

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Calling it a, "world class public education system", does not make it so. Comparing Maryland to international standards and a student levels, we really really suck at educating students. However, comparing ourselves to all other incompetent states, Maryland is doing just fine.

SamSpade

Well that's just great.

Now I have no idea when to schedule a vacation with my kids.

Can they at least agree on when it ENDS. or are they going to change that, too?

Chris0nllyn

:lol: Sometimes it's obvious that the legislature simply won't let someone from another party have anything. Partisan politics is shameful.

This_person

Sen Ferguson said:
Whether we start before or after Labor Day is almost entirely immaterial to the harder policy questions...
"....and, since it is almost entirely immaterial, we are going to make sure that we change what someone else said about it. Clearly, since it doesn't matter, we needed to make a point that someone having an opinion is entirely wrong."

awpitt

Main Streeter

Good. I hope it passes the House of Delegates as well. This sort of thing (school calendar) should be decided by the local boards of education.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Good. I hope it passes the House of Delegates as well. This sort of thing (school calendar) should be decided by the local boards of education.
Doesn't need House concurrence.
Md. Const. art. II, § 24

Section 24. Reorganization of Executive Branch

The Governor may make changes in the organization of the Executive Branch of the State Government, including the establishment or abolition of departments, offices, agencies, and instrumentalities, and the reallocation or reassignment of functions, powers, and duties among the departments, offices, agencies, and instrumentalities of the Executive Branch. Where these changes are inconsistent with existing law, or create new governmental programs they shall be set forth in executive orders in statutory form which shall be submitted to the General Assembly within the first ten days of a regular session. An executive order that has been submitted shall become effective and have the force of law on the date designated in the Order unless specifically disapproved, within fifty days after submission, by a resolution of disapproval concurred in by a majority vote of all members of either House of the General Assembly. No executive order reorganizing the Executive Branch shall abolish any office established by this Constitution or shall change the powers and duties delegated to particular officers or departments by this Constitution.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Did they even ask PARENTS? Because we LOVE it! Must wonderful vacations ever thebweek before labor day.. anywhere and everywhere is MD day that week.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Doesn't need House concurrence.

Not sure about that... The "After Labor Day Start" Exec Order was signed in 2016 and started with the 2017-2018 school year. That's more than fifty days which is the time period allowed for either House to disapprove it on their own. This WTOP article mentions that this bill now has to go to the House of Delegates.

ANNAPOLIS, Md. (AP) — The Maryland Senate has voted to enable local school boards to decide when public schools start.
Senators voted 31-13 for the bill Tuesday. It now goes to the House.

https://wtop.com/maryland/2019/02/maryland-senate-vote-looms-on-when-to-start-school/

This_person

You have that option now.
I think you mean that parents have the option to send their kids to private schools now. But, while accurate, that's not what JRT said.

Certainly, if the money that would have been spent on a parents' kids were provided to the parent to pay for the private school, that would be far closer to what JRT is suggesting.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Not sure about that... The "After Labor Day Start" Exec Order was signed in 2016 and started with the 2017-2018 school year. That's more than fifty days which is the time period allowed for either House to disapprove it on their own. This WTOP article mentions that this bill now has to go to the House of Delegates.

https://wtop.com/maryland/2019/02/maryland-senate-vote-looms-on-when-to-start-school/
So, it isn't really "overturning" the executive order. It is creating new legislation. Gotcha

Hijinx

Is it Veto proof? Can't Hogan veto it?

Personally I like knowing school will start the day after Labor day, and I don't have kids. It lets me know when the school buses will hit the road.
And what kind of a big deal is it anyway?

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Personally I like knowing school will start the day after Labor day, and I don't have kids. It lets me know when the school buses will hit the road.
According to the democats it wasn't a big deal.. it was insignificant even. That's why we needed new legislation

Chris0nllyn

He could veto it, but his veto would likely be overturned by the legislature.

22AcaciaAve

Well maybe the local school boards won't mind if their funding comes exclusively from local taxes as well. The local school systems get most of their funding from the state so they should take some guidance from them as well. The executive order does not take control of the school calendar away from local school boards, it simply sets beginning and ending parameters for them to follow. This is nothing but a partisan power play by the democratic GA because Hogan won re-election. Funny thing is, even though Hogan enacted it, it wasn't his idea. Democrat Peter Franchot pushed for this long before Hogan became governor. Hogan just realized what a sensible idea it was.

The end game will be like this. It will pass the GA and be vetoed by the governor. The GA with their super majority will then override the governor's veto and it will become law for the 2019-2020. The governor and Peter Franchot have already decided to craft a law doing exactly what the executive order did, and collect the signatures necessary to take it to statewide referendum for the 2020 election. The polls have shown that the idea enjoys bi-partisan support, especially from the parents of school aged children. The referendum will pass and things will go back to the way they are right now starting with the 2021 school season moving forward. All of this is just an unnecessary power play by the democratic GA.