Maryland Senate votes to overturn after Labor Day school start

awpitt

Main Streeter
UPDATE.....

This bill was vetoed by Gov. Hogan.

Yesterday, that veto was overridden by both houses of the General Assembly.

Local Boards of Education can, once again, determine their own school calendars.

This_person

Where did I say that?

Why is this thread full of people who apparently read minds (and are not good at it)? Awpitt and I have done nothing but post the factual information surrounding this bill/action.

I'm really not quite sure why it's being construed as it being acceptable to me, but it happens all over the place on this forum.

Your post said "if its a law". And I simple said "It's a state law".
So, you do or don't think it's appropriate?

Hijinx

I agree with Chris. Local School Boards should make their own schedules starting schools any time they like right after Labor day.

awpitt

Main Streeter
I agree with Chris. Local School Boards should make their own schedules starting schools any time they like right after Labor day.

Well, if you want schools to start after Labor Day, now you can go to your local school board.

This_person

I think local school boards should select their own school calendars as long as they fall within state framework. It's certainly not a hot button issue for me though.

Thanks for asking, and not assuming.
That had nothing to do with the topic you were quoting.

Do you think it is appropriate that the state can tell you what a "lawful" absence is for your child, vice "anything the parent believes is appropriate" as being the "lawful" absence?

Salmon

Hogie exceeded his authority in mandating the post-Labor Day start. The legislators simply put the decision in the hand of local school boards. I thought right wingers liked local control.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I liked having schools start before Labor Day and having snow days built into the calendar ahead of time, not taking away previous days off to make up for them. My oldest graduates this year but I have a Freshman that this pertains to.

awpitt

Main Streeter

We’re glad it happened. By last Friday, both chambers of Maryland’s General Assembly had overridden Gov. Larry Hogan’s veto of their earlier vote to eliminate his mandated post-Labor Day start of public schools.

In other words, starting as soon as the 2019-2020 school year, systems across the state can once again make up their own minds regarding when classes can begin. For most, it will mean starting up again in late August. Sorry, kids, but we think it’s a good idea.

https://www.somdnews.com/enterprise...cle_e44304d6-99fe-5eeb-a0ce-71f4992036cf.html

22AcaciaAve

Hogan, who says his executive order has been among the most popular actions he's taken as governor, has proposed compromise legislation to require voters to decide the issue in jurisdictions where there's a push to move the school start to before Labor Day. At a news conference last week, Hogan said the measure passed by the Senate goes against what a majority of the state's residents want. He said he's confident voters will petition the bill to the ballot in 2020, if the measure clears the General Assembly.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...d-School-Start-Dates-Coming-Up-505712361.html

It may not be a done deal past 2020. The final decision will likely rest with the people of Maryland. Polls indicate widespread support for mandating a post labor day start.

awpitt

Main Streeter
It may not be a done deal past 2020. The final decision will likely rest with the people of Maryland. Polls indicate widespread support for mandating a post labor day start.

The article you posted is about two months old. There's been no action on any sort of referendum. As of now, local school boards are able to set the school calendar, as it should be.

22AcaciaAve

The article you posted is about two months old. There's been no action on any sort of referendum. As of now, local school boards are able to set the school calendar, as it should be.

The election is over a year away. The petition would need 3% of the voters in the last election to get on the ballot. It would need to be filed by sometime around the beginning of the summer of 2020. I wouldn't expect there to be any action until after the start of the new school year. Maybe every district in MD will start after labor day. Peter Franchot, democrat comptroller, believes the referendum is the right way to go. Let the people decide. I don't know if they will follow through on it. But I would bet if it does go to referendum that it will win.

stgislander

PREMO Member
The election is over a year away. The petition would need 3% of the voters in the last election to get on the ballot. It would need to be filed by sometime around the beginning of the summer of 2020. I wouldn't expect there to be any action until after the start of the new school year. Maybe every district in MD will start after labor day. Peter Franchot, democrat comptroller, believes the referendum is the right way to go. Let the people decide. I don't know if they will follow through on it. But I would bet if it does go to referendum that it will win.
Franchot is a pariah in his own party.