Maryland to Open COVID-19 Vaccination Center in Waldorf with FEMA Support

somdadmin

Administrator
Staff member
PHILADELPHIA – Marylanders in and around Charles County will soon have a community vaccination center in Waldorf where they can receive COVID-19 vaccinations.

With support from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Maryland will open a COVID-19 vaccination site at the Regency Furniture Stadium, a minor-league baseball stadium. Located at 11765 St. Linus Dr., Waldorf, Md., 20602, the center is expected to open for operation in early March. As more vaccine doses become available over time, state officials expect to increase the center’s capacity from a few hundred shots per day to a few thousand daily doses by the end of the month.

Charles County lies south of Prince George’s County and is home to more than 163,000 people. Nearly 60 percent identify as African American, Latino, Asian or Native American, according to census data. As of Feb. 16, less than eight percent of county residents had received the first dose of the vaccine, and 2.3 percent had received the second of the two-shot dose.

“Ensuring that all Marylanders have access to COVID-19 vaccines is our priority,” said Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) Director Russ Strickland. “We are committed to helping vulnerable and historically underserved populations, and this site will make sure our residents in Charles County and the surrounding area have access to vaccinations.”

“Maryland has worked hard to make sure that all of its residents, regardless of race, age and economic status, will be able to get the COVID-19 vaccine if they choose,” said FEMA Region 3 Acting Regional Administrator Janice Barlow. “The selection of this site ties in with FEMA’s core values of compassion, fairness, integrity and respect. We are proud to support our state partners as they work to serve vulnerable residents throughout the state.”

Marylanders interested in receiving a vaccination at any state-run site should click covidlink.maryland.gov for more information.

“We appreciate the help of our federal partners to provide vaccinations to Marylanders who need them,” Strickland said. “We’re committed to keeping our residents safe and healthy, and we’re thankful to have the help of FEMA and the federal government.”

Early in the unprecedented global emergency, FEMA engaged with its government and private sector partners to help facilitate this vaccine mission.

“The safety of the American people is our priority in any disaster, including this one,” Barlow said. “We’ll be here in Maryland, and across the nation, until our mission is complete.”

FEMA’s mission is helping people before, during, and after disasters. FEMA Region 3’s jurisdiction includes Delaware, the District of Columbia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia and West Virginia.

Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/femaregion3 and on LinkedIn at www.linkedin.com/company/femaregion3

stgislander

PREMO Member
I still don't understand the need for these mass vacination centers outside of the Balt-DC corridor.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I still don't understand the need for these mass vacination centers outside of the Balt-DC corridor.
I wasn't sure either, until I got my shot at Hollywood VFD. It's a mass vac center, but not quite as big as others. Because of the way it's set up, you can push massive numbers of people thru per hour, vaccines are centrally stored and managed, and other than the shot itself, there is no contact with anyone because you never get out of the car. Roll in, get a shot, roll out.

Places like CVS, Walgreens, etc... are not nearly as efficient and pretty much force close contact inside the store.

stgislander

PREMO Member
I wasn't sure either, until I got my shot at Hollywood VFD. It's a mass vac center, but not quite as big as others. Because of the way it's set up, you can push massive numbers of people thru per hour, vaccines are centrally stored and managed, and other than the shot itself, there is no contact with anyone because you never get out of the car. Roll in, get a shot, roll out.

Places like CVS, Walgreens, etc... are not nearly as efficient and pretty much force close contact inside the store.
From what I understand, WV is pushing vaccinations through local pharmacies and they are being reported as having one of the highest vaccination rates in the country.

Tech

They've taken allotments from counties who are efficient to mass vaccine sites in nonfunctional counties. Equity, can't do better than the worst. Now you drive 30 or 60 miles instead of a few.

stgislander

PREMO Member
They've taken allotments from counties who are efficient to mass vaccine sites in nonfunctional counties. Equity, can't do better than the worst. Now you drive 30 or 60 miles instead of a few.
So the question becomes when this new site in Waldork opens up, will SMCHD close down the Hollywood VFD site?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Can't disagree with that. It was convenient for me, but I'm sure a royal PITA for those that had to drive any distance. Hours of driving for literally 5 minutes of drive thru and treatment with a 15 minute wait afterwards.

Tech

So the question becomes when this new site in Waldork opens up, will SMCHD close down the Hollywood VFD site?
You got me. Common sense would dictate that since this county is in 1C while many are not, that you would have it near the worksite to lessen impacts. Sure a place like Harris Teeter can let a few go on the clock to get the shots at Hollywood.

GregV814

so, ahhhhh how many of you knew about the vaccine shots being offered and given by the "Concerned Black Women of Calvert County"
in Prince Frederick??? Who else didnt get shots because....."well, because....ummmmm..." even though registered with registration in hand??