Maryland Workers Make the Case for a $15 Minimum Wage

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Beat me to it.

Also it will become cheaper to have a kiosk do these jobs. There's no reason why you couldn't get your bar drink from a machine.

Then what happens?

Like a Soda Machine ... punch up a Rum and Coke Scan Your DL, swipe your CC ... place your glass under the spout

hell that will save over pouring ....

ONE $ 15 dollar an hour attendent to verify ID's .... touch screens at the table for ordering food

I already love the McDonald's Kiosks

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
Beat me to it.

Also it will become cheaper to have a kiosk do these jobs. There's no reason why you couldn't get your bar drink from a machine.

Then what happens?
Many airports around the country already have that......order drinks and food at your table, check your emails, look at Facebook....food and drinks served....extra shot $1.00

LtownTaxpayer

"Working for tips is exactly like gambling. I live paycheck to paycheck and have never started a month feeling sure that if I worked full time, my rent would be paid by the end," said Drew Koshgarian, a bartender from Baltimore. "Raising the minimum wage to $15 for tipped employees wouldn't end tipping, but it would protect us from this unreliable and illogical model for compensating our time and hard work."

Ummm.... I do not agree. The businesses will roll the costs right back into prices so I am going to assume your dramatic increase in pay includes forced tips. So tips should go back to being only a couple bucks if a consumer wants to reward good service and no longer the 18%+ expected today.

And restaurants would definitely cut back on staff - at least the ones I know. There isn't much of a profit margin in food, so prices go up or people go away. It is how things work.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
.... touch screens at the table for ordering food

Red Robin already has that in the NJ one we went to. A server brought out the food, but there's no reason why a Roomba couldn't be programmed to do the same thing.

High skilled workers have the education and skills to make low skilled workers obsolete.

PeoplesElbow

So what happens to the people who already make $15/hr? Do they get a raise? Or are they now no better than an entry level employee?
Well in the case of those at Walmart that worked hard for years, got semi-supervisor positions that is exactly the case, they end up making almost the same as someone just hired.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
but there's no reason why a Roomba couldn't be programmed to do the same thing.

China or Japan is already testing this

This is remotely piloted ....

Here is China: They cost around $11,310 each when they were bought in 2014.

$ 15 = 31,200 so that covers two Robo Waiters with change for infrastructure

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...
And restaurants would definitely cut back on staff - at least the ones I know. There isn't much of a profit margin in food, so prices go up or people go away. It is how things work.
All restaurants will convert to a buffet style format. Or, order electronically from tablet at table. After a few minutes, or longer, your order is ready and you pick it up from the service window and return to your seat. Want a drink? Enter order in tablet, tablet notifies when drink is available, go to bar and pick up. Water, coffee, and sodas served by fountain drink area.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

At $31,200 a year most all will lose a lot of government benefits.

And this is the major reason for this push. Any future adjustments for social or welfare programs will be extremely slow and very modest when changes in calculations are made.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If I may ...

All restaurants will convert to a buffet style format. Or, order electronically from tablet at table. After a few minutes, or longer, your order is ready and you pick it up from the service window and return to your seat. Want a drink? Enter order in tablet, tablet notifies when drink is available, go to bar and pick up. Water, coffee, and sodas served by fountain drink area.

There would still be a demand of some form for nice restaurants with professional staff, and I guarantee you the servers and bartenders at those places don't want to be demoted to $15/hr.

But I can totally see your scenario being the average restaurant of the future. We've encountered a number of restaurants that don't have servers - you go up to the counter and place your order with the human, pay for it, then they call your number or put it up on the screen when it's ready and you go pick it up. I actually like this because I know my food won't be sitting in the pass for 20 minutes while the server texts her boo.

LtownTaxpayer

If I may ...

Not every restaurant has the space available to set up buffet service. Small mom and pop type places are often small and would be difficult to transition - not to mention the budget ramifications.