Masked gunman killed in shootout at Dallas courthouse

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
DALLAS (AP) — An Army veteran wearing a mask and carrying more than 150 rounds of ammunition for his high-powered rifle was shot dead Monday after he opened fire outside a busy federal courthouse in downtown Dallas, authorities said.

"It's a lot of rounds — a lot of rounds at his disposal, a large powerful weapon at his disposal," FBI agent Matthew DeSarno said. Clyde's attack began about 8:40 a.m., and three officers from the Federal Protective Service who were stationed at the building confronted him. DeSarno and other officials praised their courage at a news conference.

https://www.mail.com/news/politics/...ut-dallas-courthouse.html#.7518-stage-hero1-1

yeah 150 is a lot :sarcasm:

BOP

"...a large, powerful weapon at his disposal...." Apparently, they're tapping into middle school or junior high for FBI agents these days. I'm surprised he didn't further describe it as "long, black, and scary-looking."

Chris0nllyn

150 rounds is (5) 30 rd mags.

Based on this picture, it's what at least one FBI agent had on them (not counting the (4?) handgun mags) during the Oregon standoff. Is that a lot of rounds and powerful weapon for them? Or just the citizenry they protect?
image_asset_13599.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
"high powered rifle".... da fuq? All I saw/heard was an AR-15 with standard caliber. What I miss?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
150 rounds sounds about like a standard combat load, eh? AR 15 is a high power rifle - that's why I have some. Good thing dude was unable to get motivated and inside.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
That's one of those oft-repeated lines I wish they'd get corrected on... .223/5.56mm is an "intermediate" cartridge. Not high powered.

Beg to disagree, but 2300 fps is high powered, no matter how you look at it. Not as high powered as others, but still very effective. It just doesn't have the standard knock down power of other high powered rifles. load 62 grain green tip armor piercing rounds, and it is one high power opponent.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It just doesn't have the standard knock down power of other high powered rifles.
You debunked your own fallacy. The only thing I own that is wimpier than .223 is my Marlin .22 rifle. .223 is such a joke that it's banned as a deer hunting round in VA, for example.

THIS is what a typical high powered rifle looks like. The POSP scope is set up for 800 yards..but it can go longer..

BOP

You debunked your own fallacy. The only thing I own that is wimpier than .223 is my Marlin .22 rifle. .223 is such a joke that it's banned as a deer hunting round in VA, for example.

THIS is what a typical high powered rifle looks like. The POSP scope is set up for 800 yards..but it can go longer.. View attachment 138063
I just got a stiffy.