Maskless is Dangerous!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you want to fight the good fight and show everyone how big your metaphorical dick is, and defy The Man, forego the mask altogether.

I would but they won't let you in the grocery store without one. I got over the Karen stinkeye months ago, but at some point I do need to restock on ramen and beer and the teenager manning the entrance enjoys it way too much when he can boss a grownup.

PeoplesElbow

Here is a question for those that just know masks can't stop a virus.

Critics also say it doesn't let out carbon dioxide, a carbon dioxide molecule is less than 1 nanometer, a virus is about 100 nanometers.

How can it not stop a virus, but stop a molecule that is 100x smaller?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Critics also say...
They're not scientists. If there were truly an issue with this, it would have been flagged eons ago by healthcare workers who have worn them everyday for years, and the Japanese who have made a culture out of mask wearing. People here are just not used to it.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

For the record, I also avoid stepping in urine, feces and other animal fluids.

Because not all humans - or bacteria - are killers, and I generally avoid the ones whom I think are likely to be.
Go around with a UV light at night do you? Point is, just being outside, everyone is exposed to many coronavirus'. From the little field mouse, to the squirrel, opossum, raccoon, sparrow, etc.. You are not going to see those droppings. The coronavirus, a coronavirus, is not just transmitted from overseas. It is picked up everyday here at home, wherever home is anywhere in this Nation. Were you wearing a mask during every flu season every year of your like?

The reason not all bacteria and virus' aren't killers is because of our body's innate immune system. Have a weak immune system, get sick from any, and possibly die.

For the record, in Japan in past years, some wore masks due to pollution, to filter the air they are breathing, not to filter a virus. Big difference.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Here is a question for those that just know masks can't stop a virus. Critics also say it doesn't let out carbon dioxide, a carbon dioxide molecule is less than 1 nanometer, a virus is about 100 nanometers. How can it not stop a virus, but stop a molecule that is 100x smaller?
A CO2 molecule is 0.33nm diameter. CO2 is going to flow through any mask without any trouble. There is no known mask material that will filter 0.33nm molecules. (If it did you wouldn't be able to breath.) The coronavirus is approximately 120 nm.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Is that different than resting bitch face?

The science is settled on this....according to CNN...
...and then, there's the Mare Stare! :jet:

• Haha
Reactions: TPD

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
For the record, in Japan in past years, some wore masks due to pollution, to filter the air they are breathing, not to filter a virus. Big difference.
True. But the point is that they are wearing them, have been for a long time and not passing out from CO2 buildup regardless for the reason they have them on.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
the Japanese who have made a culture out of mask wearing.

Let me point out that the Japanese have their own Covid problem. If masks really worked to prevent transmission, there wouldn't be a single case in Japan. As it stands, they have roughly the same per capita rate of infection and death that we do.

But I point out the obvious all the time and everyone ignores me. It's pretty annoying.

Reactions: BOP

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Let me point out that the Japanese have their own Covid problem. If masks really worked to prevent transmission, there wouldn't be a single case in Japan. As it stands, they have roughly the same per capita rate of infection and death that we do.

But I point out the obvious all the time and everyone ignores me. It's pretty annoying.
And again, my comment was strictly regarding CO2 and nothing else.

h3mech

President Elect Biden stated yesterday that "masks will be mandatory for the first 100 days I am in office"
no one has crown him king, the election is not over, he will never be 46 unless its his number in GITMO

PeoplesElbow

Let me point out that is some terrible logic. Nothing is 100% effective, I suspect a properly worn cloth mask reduces transmission by 20% or so, the idea is to reduce the R number in the equation.

Washing your hands isn't 100% effective but you still do it.

Now onto some scientific comparisons, Japanese are living much more on top of each other than we are and their population is also much older than we are so if their numbers are similar to the entire US then they are actually doing better than we are.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Washing your hands isn't 100% effective but you still do it.

Washing my hands is in fact 100% effective for cleaning them. I don't wash to disinfect, I wash to clean.

Do you shower in Purell? Or do you just not care and want to kill grandma with your germs because you're selfish?

Now onto some scientific comparisons, Japanese are living much more on top of each other than we are and their population is also much older than we are so if their numbers are similar to the entire US then they are actually doing better than we are.

I'm always surprised when you get sucked into propaganda and start doing these intellectual contortions. I think of you as smarter than that.

Where do you think the vast majority of Covid cases are in this country?

That's right - in metropolitan areas where people live on top of each other.

I'm not making that up - you can look it up for yourself.

The Japanese also have a longer life expectancy than the average American, and enjoy better general health.

I'm not making that up, either - you can look it up.

So the Japanese are healthier than we are, with a longer life expectancy, they also wear masks when out and about.....and are still contracting and dying of Covid at the same per capita rate as us slovenly unmasked grubby Americans.

I'm not a scientist or anything, but what those FACTS tell me is that masks do nothing to stop the spread of Covid.

Toxick

Splat
Go around with a UV light at night do you?

No. If I had a UV light in my house ....

:shudder:

Point is, just being outside, everyone is exposed to many coronavirus'. From the little field mouse, to the squirrel, opossum, raccoon, sparrow, etc.. You are not going to see those droppings. The coronavirus, a coronavirus, is not just transmitted from overseas. It is picked up everyday here at home, wherever home is anywhere in this Nation.

Yeah - I'm aware of that - but there are things you can do to mitigate your risk of catching an infection or a virus. Such as walking on sidewalks instead of through dog park grass, or through areas with a lot of questionable possibilities. And if you must walk through such areas, wear shoes. And if you bring your filthy shoes indoors, take them off instead of tracking them around the house, avoid licking the soles, and wash your hands after you handle them. Seems that mom was pretty wise old bird.

And yes, I know you're going to point out that there are myriad chinks in that armor, and nothing can 100% protect you from streptococcus, and rhinovirus and fasciitis all the nasty germs that will someday worm their way through my delicate snowflake immune system. And masks are not going to prevent or stop the coronavirus. You could force everyone at gunpoint to wear ventilators, and someone will still catch the damned thing.

The point is mitigating risk.

Were you wearing a mask during every flu season every year of your like?

No.

I never even had a shot. I never caught it, and I never worried about catching it, and I blithely lived my life for decades thinking I was immune to that ****.

Then one December I learned that I was not.

One of the physically worst weeks of my life. I thought my body was turning itself inside-out.

I have not missed a flu-shot since, and I never will again if I can help it. Furthermore, you will recall that before wearing masks in stores was mandatory, it was forbidden. But, I'll tell you right now that if we could have worn masks all flu season, I would have.

The reason not all bacteria and virus' aren't killers is because of our body's innate immune system. Have a weak immune system, get sick from any, and possibly die.

Yeah - well, I've read enough papers by biologists and microbiologists over the past year, and half of them say one thing, and half of them say another thing. Either way, there's not much that you're going to say to me that I haven't already heard about, read about or thought of myself. Contrary to popular belief, even though I'm not an anti-masker, I'm not a ****ing idiot.

Now, normally, when you read opposing viewpoints between SME's, the result is that you have an interesting dilemma which you can use to debate with yourself while sitting in traffic, or washing your taint in the shower, and it ultimately has very little real actual impact on your life. In this case, unfortunately, the contradictory viewpoints actively affect the behavior of the population, many of whom, including myself, simply do not have the education or even the intelligence to accurately determine who is telling the truth, or whoever is just right.

If it was a computer virus, I could tell you definitively what's what. Unfortunately, I skipped all of my Microbiology classes at University.

I don't know you, but I'm guessing the odds of you being an expert in the field are pretty low. So please forgive me for not taking everything you say at face value. Nothing personal, I don't take anything I've read on the subject at face value. Because of the fact that everyone on the right seems to agree that the pro-mask scientists are left-wing megalomaniacs bent on controlling your behavior, and everyone on the left thinks that anti-mask (or mask-agnostic) scientists are right-wing maniacs bent on genocide.

Being that I think both right and left wing ideologues are brainwashed, kool-aid drinking, blinders-wearing, echo-chamber shouting, tunnel-vision having, stubborn, dumbass assing-ass asses, I won't take anything at face value because it's all political and therefore anything anyone says on the subject is unreliable and biased. So, my ultimate decision comes down to the fact that if I wear a mask:

1. There is very little impact to my routine. Minimal impact. Negligible imact.
  2. My face-fluid output is minimized. My proclivity for touching my face with my hands is reduced. Is it 100% stopped? No. Can I still catch something if I touch a doorknob? Yes. I'm aware of that. However, based on #1, I find this to be a reasonable precaution.
  3. I am in favor of Promoting the General Welfare.
  4. You can wear cool masks with video game logos and memes on them. Make it a fashion statement instead of wallowing in self-loathing for capitulating to The Man.

Again, I'm not an expert in this field, but I'm thinking that the difference is not as big as one may think. Depending on the mask and how big the particulates in question are. I don't know, really.

If you're going to go do research on the subject to prove me wrong, please be warned: I don't much care either.

PeoplesElbow

Washing my hands is in fact 100% effective for cleaning them. I don't wash to disinfect, I wash to clean.

Do you shower in Purell? Or do you just not care and want to kill grandma with your germs because you're selfish?

I'm always surprised when you get sucked into propaganda and start doing these intellectual contortions. I think of you as smarter than that.

I'm not making that up - you can look it up for yourself.

The Japanese also have a longer life expectancy than the average American, and enjoy better general health.

I'm not making that up, either - you can look it up.

So the Japanese are healthier than we are, with a longer life expectancy, they also wear masks when out and about.....and are still contracting and dying of Covid at the same per capita rate as us slovenly unmasked grubby Americans.

I'm not a scientist or anything, but what those FACTS tell me is that masks do nothing to stop the spread of Covid.
All you did is reiterated the facts I posted.

Japan is mostly an urban population, if you take out the rural parts of the US we have a higher rate and death rate than Japan. Our rural parts make our numbers better.

I'm not really arguing for masks, I'm saying your logic in your argument is no good and is emotion based because you don't like them.

If you noticed my postings I will argue with people that I agree with based on their poor argument.

Toxick

Splat

:yay:

The japanese eat fish, rice, zucchini, rice, shrimp, rice and fish.
On the other hand, we eat McRibs. That's why our corpulent bodies litter the streets.

Are you comparing metropolitan areas of Japan to metropolitan areas of the USA, or the two countries as giant individual clumps.

That makes a difference. We have vast expansive swaths of scarcely populated land where almost no disease is spread simply because there is so little opportunity for spreading. I would wager that significantly dilutes our per capita contraction rate. If you're comparing "New York vs. Tokyo", that's a much more accurate comparison than, say "Japan vs. USA" simply because of the disparate population densities.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The japanese eat fish, rice, zucchini, rice, shrimp, rice and fish.
On the other hand, we eat McRibs. That's why our corpulent bodies litter the streets.

The Japanese also smoke like maniacs, so I just feel like everything the media tells me is a lie.

Perhaps rice is the real acai and kale. Eat rice and you can abuse yourself to heinous degrees and live to be 100.

Anyway, do we agree that you are more likely to contract Covid if you life in a densely populated area?