Match.Com Fraud

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
CLASS-ACTION LAWSUIT ACCUSES MAJOR WEBSITE OF ‘ONE OF THE BIGGEST CONSPIRACIES EVER EXECUTED ON THE INTERNET’

A $1.5 billion class-action lawsuit filed by a Florida model against dating website Match.com accuses the Internet giant of creating fake profiles to lure single individuals into purchasing a membership.

Match.com, which claims to be the first dating website and “pioneer of the online dating industry,” was sued Friday in Manhattan Federal Court by Yuliana Avalos, a model who says her photos have been used “in hundreds if not thousands of fraudulent profiles” on the website.

“Not a day goes by when someone doesn’t tell me that they saw my pictures posted on Match.com or another web site,” Avalos said, according to the New York Daily News.

Hmmm... too bad Town Inn bar burnt down back in the 90s. They lured me in and I ended up married to one of their team's softball players... I could have a lucrative lawsuit filed by now if they wouldn't have been such a hole in the wall and had a sprinkler system...:cussing:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Every dating site out there has fake profiles. Match was the worst and got caught. :lol:

acommondisaster

I haven't looked at match.com, so maybe someone could tell me how they would go about verifying that the picture someone puts up is really them?

Wouldn't there be a legal disclaimer somewhere that would release match.com from any responsibility that the information/photos posted by their members was accurate. I mean seriously, how is posting a fake picture of yourself any different than posting a picture that was 80 lbs ago? They're both a misrepresentation. I'd think there's be liability if match.com was posting a picture of a model and using her name and information as an actual match subscriber, looking for a match.

officeguy

I haven't looked at match.com, so maybe someone could tell me how they would go about verifying that the picture someone puts up is really them?

The first thing would be to go to google images and run the picture through a search. It compares the picture to every picture google has come across on the internet and looks for a match. The scammers are usually not very smart and just use some random pic off the internet.

officeguy

Wouldn't there be a legal disclaimer somewhere that would release match.com from any responsibility that the information/photos posted by their members was accurate. I mean seriously, how is posting a fake picture of yourself any different than posting a picture that was 80 lbs ago? They're both a misrepresentation. I'd think there's be liability if match.com was posting a picture of a model and using her name and information as an actual match subscriber, looking for a match.

The allegation is that the company is the one producing the fake profiles to lure in subscribers.

SamSpade

The allegation is that the company is the one producing the fake profiles to lure in subscribers.

You know, I did online dating many years ago - in fact, I met my wife of nearly ten years, online.

But it wasn't really hard to figure out that the interests/winks/flirts I got from women who were exceptionally attractive but otherwise had nothing in common with me were fraudulent, whether or not they came from the web site itself, or came from a bot trying to scam me. I knew very well that gorgeous supermodels half my age and who lived a thousand miles away weren't lining up to meet a fat, middle-aged guy.

And I have to think that anyone else would know that too, unless they're really just too stupid to live.

Pete

Repete
You know, I did online dating many years ago - in fact, I met my wife of nearly ten years, online.

But it wasn't really hard to figure out that the interests/winks/flirts I got from women who were exceptionally attractive but otherwise had nothing in common with me were fraudulent, whether or not they came from the web site itself, or came from a bot trying to scam me. I knew very well that gorgeous supermodels half my age and who lived a thousand miles away weren't lining up to meet a fat, middle-aged guy.

And I have to think that anyone else would know that too, unless they're really just too stupid to live.

You mean all those I got were fake too!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

7 out of 10 :shrug:

I had that happen, some super hunk would wink or express interest. Then I'd look at their profile and they're like some independently wealthy uber-buff extreme sports fanatic who likes candlelit dinners and, you guessed it, long walks on the beach. Um, okay... :lol:

But people must fall for it or scammers wouldn't do it.

officeguy

No kidding.

Of course these people 'knew' that.

This is just another scam perpetrated by the class-action industry. It will end with one of those settlements that you get from the cellphone company once in a while: A coupon for $1.50 off your next order for a cellphone while the lawyer that pushed through the bogus complaint walks home with millions.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
The first thing would be to go to google images and run the picture through a search. It compares the picture to every picture google has come across on the internet and looks for a match.

:buddies:

I just discovered that in chrome ....
... right click ANY Picture - search for it with Google ....