Matt Cassell to KC Chiefs

BuddyLee

Football addict
Surprised at this one.
Really?

The Chiefs needed a QB and their new head coach, Josh McDaniels is from New England previously.

I don't know why it took so long.:lol:

However, I did hear something about the Broncos trying to trade Jay Cutler for him. Now that's surprising and crazy. Cutler is a good QB.

BuddyLee

Football addict
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/02/28/cutl...oit-tampa-bay/

Cutler upset over potential deals to Detroit, Tampa Bay

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Denver Broncos, Detroit Lions, Jay Cutler, Kansas City Chiefs, Matt Cassel, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
There’s one story behind the trade of Matt Cassel to the Chiefs. There’s a whole other story behind that blockbuster story.

While New England and Kansas City were agreeing to Saturday’s trade of Cassel to the Chiefs for the draft’s 34th overall pick, there were more teams in the mix. Detroit, Tampa and Denver were involved in trade talks of their own also tied to Cassel, according to sources in the respective NFL cities.
Tampa approached Denver to try to make a three-way trade that would have sent Cassel to the Broncos and quarterback Jay Cutler to the Buccaneers. The Broncos entertained the notion and pondered it but ultimately decided against it.

Also, the Lions approached the Broncos about a trade for Cutler, trying to dangle Cassel as bait. Once again, Denver debated the deal and opted against it apparently. What made it a moot point was that while all Tampa, Detroit and Denver engaged in trade talks with New Engalnd, the Patriots went ahead and dealt Cassel to the Chiefs.

The Broncos firmly maintain that they never intended to trade Cutler, that they were approached to make the trades. But, as of Saturday afternoon, Cutler was angry to hear that his name had been floated in any trade conversations.

Now the Chiefs have Cassel, the Broncos still have Cutler and the Lions and Buccaneers continue their search for quarterbacks in one of the wilder and more complex behind-the-scene drams the NFL has seen in any recent off-season.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Otter

Nothing to see here
Really?

The Chiefs needed a QB and their new head coach, Josh McDaniels is from New England previously.

However, I did hear something about the Broncos trying to trade Jay Cutler for him. Now that's surprising and crazy. Cutler is a good QB.

Honestly, I was thinking they were gonna trade Brady when they tagged Cassell. They still haven't released the details of the trade, curious as to what KC gave up.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Honestly, I was thinking they were gonna trade Brady when they tagged Cassell. They still haven't released the details of the trade, curious as to what KC gave up.
Nah. He's the face of their franchise. You can't get rid of Montana Lite after one good not great year by the kid.

They only tagged Cassell to get the draft picks. If they didn't tag him he'd have been a free agent.

J

JustinB

Really?

Josh McDaniel's went to Denver the Chiefs got Arizona's Todd Haley

J

JustinB

You're right. I was at work when it dawned on me.:lol:

You were right on the 2nd round draft pick though. The Chiefs made out well they also got Mike Vrabel. I use to like the Chiefs they always had a decent program and then it all went in the toilet.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Surprised at this one.

You lose your superstar, first game of the season, then, your untested back up is a part of an 11 win season and...you let him go?

1. He wasn't that good and you can win 11 with anyone. That means...

1a. You can win with anyone, including your super star so...

2. Get rid of him, too. Get some more picks.

I gotta believe Cassel just wanted to move on.