Matthew 11 The kind approach

seekeroftruth

Matthew 11:1 After Jesus had finished instructing his twelve disciples, he went on from there to teach and preach in the towns of Galilee.[a]
2 When John, who was in prison, heard about the deeds of the Messiah, he sent his disciples 3 to ask him, “Are you the one who is to come, or should we expect someone else?”
4 Jesus replied, “Go back and report to John what you hear and see: 5 The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy[b] are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is proclaimed to the poor. 6 Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.”
7 As John’s disciples were leaving, Jesus began to speak to the crowd about John: “What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed swayed by the wind? 8 If not, what did you go out to see? A man dressed in fine clothes? No, those who wear fine clothes are in kings’ palaces. 9 Then what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet. 10 This is the one about whom it is written:
“‘I will send my messenger ahead of you,
who will prepare your way before you.’[c]
11 Truly I tell you, among those born of women there has not risen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet whoever is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. 12 From the days of John the Baptist until now, the kingdom of heaven has been subjected to violence,[d] and violent people have been raiding it. 13 For all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John. 14 And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come. 15 Whoever has ears, let them hear.
16 “To what can I compare this generation? They are like children sitting in the marketplaces and calling out to others:
17 “‘We played the pipe for you,
and you did not dance;
we sang a dirge,
and you did not mourn.’
18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’ But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.”
20 Then Jesus began to denounce the towns in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent. 21 “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. 22 But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. 23 And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted to the heavens? No, you will go down to Hades.[e] For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. 24 But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.”
25 At that time Jesus said, “I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. 26 Yes, Father, for this is what you were pleased to do.
27 “All things have been committed to me by my Father. No one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and those to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Footnotes:
  1. Matthew 11:1 Greek in their towns
  2. Matthew 11:5 The Greek word traditionally translated leprosy was used for various diseases affecting the skin.
  3. Matthew 11:10 Mal. 3:1
  4. Matthew 11:12 Or been forcefully advancing
  5. Matthew 11:23 That is, the realm of the dead

So the French didn't come up with that lovely saying they inscribed on the Statue of Liberty.... they copied it from the Bible. Jesus said if first.

This is from enduringword.com.

Are You the Coming One, or do we look for another: John 1:29-36 and other passages indicated that before this, John clearly recognized Jesus as the Messiah. His present doubt may be explained because perhaps he himself had misunderstood the ministry of the Messiah. Perhaps he thought that if Jesus were really the Messiah, He would perform works connected with a political deliverance of Israel – or at least the deliverance of John, who was in prison.
It is possible that John made a mistaken distinction between the Coming One and the Christ, the Messiah. There is some indication that some Jews of that time distinguished between a prophet to come promised by Moses (Deuteronomy 18:15) and the Messiah. The dominant note here is one of confusion; John’s long trial in prison has confused him.​
Go and tell John the things which you hear and see: Jesus wanted to assure both John and his disciples that He was the Messiah. But He also reminded them that His power would be displayed mostly in humble acts of service, meeting individual needs, and not in spectacular displays of political deliverance.​
Blessed is he who is not offended because of Me: Jesus knew that the focus of His ministry was offensive to the expectation of the Jewish people, who longed for political deliverance from Roman domination. But there was a blessing for those who were not offended because of the Messiah who came against the expectation of the people.​
He who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he: Though John was great, he was not born again under the New Covenant. This is because he lived and died before the completion of Jesus’ work at the cross and empty tomb. Therefore, he did not enjoy the benefits of the New Covenant (1 Corinthians 11:25, 2 Corinthians 3:6, Hebrews 8:6-13).​
But wisdom is justified by her children: However, the wise man is proved to be wise by his wise actions (her children). Jesus had especially in mind the wisdom to accept both Jesus and John for what they were and what they were called to be.​
People might criticize John, but look at what he did – he led thousands of people into repentance, preparing the way for the Messiah. People might criticize Jesus, but look at what He did – taught and worked and loved and died like no one ever has.​
Come unto Me: Jesus showed His authority when He says come unto Me. This invitation is unthinkable in the mouth of anyone else but God, and woe to the men who call people to themselves instead of to Jesus!​
This is from the easy English site.

John had begun to doubt that Jesus was the Messiah. When the people heard John’s question, they might have doubted too. Also, Jesus’ words in verse 6 might seem to blame John. So now, Jesus praised John and told the truth about him to the people. Nobody would have gone into the desert to see a very ordinary man. Tall grasses were very common by the river Jordan. The wind blew the grass in one direction, and then it blew the grass in a different direction. In a similar way, weak people keep changing their opinions. But John had firm opinions. He had the courage to speak the truth for God. He even told king Herod Antipas that he had done something wrong (Matthew 14:1-12).​
Jesus said that the people round him were like children. One group of children complained that the other group would not play with them. They would not play happy games, and they would not play sad games. None of them could agree.​
John the Baptist lived a strict life, so people said that he was mad. Jesus joined in social events. He spent time with people that other people avoided. So people said that Jesus lived a wicked life. The people did not want to accept either John or Jesus. So those people behaved like selfish children. They made excuses and would not listen to God’s message. The results showed who was right. John had a strict life while he prepared for his work. He changed the attitude of many people. Jesus spent time with ordinary people. He showed them that God loved them. Both John and Jesus chose the way that was right for them. Wise people should be able to understand this.
The people who taught God’s Law, did not believe Jesus’ message. The people who thought that they were wise did not believe his message. Humble people knew that Jesus spoke the truth. They were like little children. Some people are proud that they know a lot about God. But they do not really understand him.
In those days, the Jewish religion had many laws. The leaders had made a big series of laws. People who tried to obey all of them became very tired. The laws were like a heavy load that people must carry.

And this is from bibletrack.org.

John the Baptist is in prison, so he sends a couple of his disciples to check Jesus out; who is he? As an interesting aside, John had baptized Jesus and saw the miracle that took place at Jesus' baptism. However, while John suspects that Jesus is the Messiah, John wants a confirmation. It appears that John's disciples show up when Jesus is surrounded by a crowd of seekers AND scoffers. John's disciples ask Jesus this question, "Art thou he that should come? or look we for another?" Inquiring minds want to know. So, how is Jesus going to sufficiently answer John's disciples without directly proclaiming himself the Messiah before the hostile Jewish leaders there who are just waiting for him to utter words that can be used as evidence of blasphemy. Well, it's simple for Jesus. First of all, he immediately begins healing the people in the multitude and tells John's disciples to report this to John. John's a smart man; he will immediately relate these actions to the prophesied actions of the Messiah in Isaiah 61. You may recall that a year (perhaps as much as two) earlier, Jesus introduced his Messianic ministry up in Nazareth when he read this very same Old Testament passage in Luke 4:18-19 regarding the miracles that would be performed during the ministry of the Messiah. However, in that passage, Jesus concluded in Luke 4:21 by saying, "This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears." While he doesn't read Isaiah 61 on this occasion, he does refer to the Messianic activity outlined there. In other words, "Yes!"
I asked a Jewish man why he did not believe that Christ was the Messiah. He told me he really couldn't believe that the Son of God would allow all this pain, sickness, war and death. I didn't have an answer for him.... I had no good Christian retort that would save the man's soul. Now I'm thinking.... If Jesus had a little more time....

John was in prison..... The Messiah was on earth. John saw what happened when Jesus came out of the water..... I think it says He levitated. John had the opportunity to see a miracle before going into jail. I also read that there were men among the disciples who had been part of a political party that opposed the Roman government. When Jesus sent His disciples out two by two.... He warned them... if they got locked up.... they should escape if possible. Jesus knew what was going to happen to John..... but there will be more on that in later chapters..... the point here is.... John was having a really rough go of it.... and John was questioning his own experiences.... if Jesus could levitate.... if Jesus could heal the sick..... if Jesus could bark at a wind and make it subside.... or tell a wave to slow it's roll and make it calm down.... then why was John still in prison?

Fathers have two sides. There's a side that can take on any enemy that threatens the family. There's a side that is warm and tender.... the side that cools the forehead or heals a scraped knee. The people had seen the power of God in the battlefield. The people had seen the power of God in Sodom.... and they didn't listen. Now Jesus is showing them the kind side. Jesus knows His Father. His Father knows how the story ends.

Jesus said "Give me your tired and poor....... " He didn't turn anyone away.... He knew they were hurting from decades and decades of conquest, rules and regulations that no one could live up to, and they had been enslaved..... some even chose to have a nail driven through their earlobe so they could stay enslaved forever just so they could live near their own wives and children. They wanted someone to pop those Romans in the nose and send them running.... and Jesus wasn't conducting that kind of ministry.

One more little thing that is now confusing me. Did John go to Heaven? John died before Jesus walked out of the tomb. Was John stuck in the Old Testament?

☕