Mayor Pete Wants to Decriminalize 'Meth, Coke, Ecstasy,' Not Just Pot

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“Incarceration should not even be a response to drug possession,” Buttigieg told editors at the Des Moines Register.

An editor pressed him, “Is that across the board? So if it’s meth or coke or ecstasy, any drugs, if it’s possession, incarceration isn’t…”

“That’s right,” Mayor Pete said.

"I would not have said even five years ago what I believe now, which is that incarceration should not even be a response to drug possession," the candidate added. "What I’ve seen is that while there continue to be all kinds of harms associated with drug possession and use, it’s also the case that we have created—in an effort to deal with what amounts to a public health problem—we have created an even bigger problem. A justice problem and its form of a health problem."

https://pjmedia.com/trending/mayor-pete-wants-to-decriminalize-meth-coke-ecstasy-not-just-pot/

black dog

Free America
A truly Free Society is scary, A Free person should be able to make or buy any drug they desire.... Its not the governments job to make decisions on what a citizen puts in their body.....

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
A truly Free Society is scary, A Free person should be able to make or buy any drug they desire.... Its not the governments job to make decisions on what a citizen puts in their body.....
But conversely society shouldn't have to pay the price for an individual's decisions. Who is paying for all the narcan that gets squirted up some addict's nose?

officeguy

Oh, the libertarian in me agrees with hizzoner Pete that you should be able to buy and own any drug you want. It should come with a few caveats:
  • the right for everyone else to shoot you on sight if you tweak out on pcp or bath salts and try to eat someone's face.
  • no more excuses. Whatever you do under the influence is fully on you. No 'drug court' , no diminished capacity. You harm others you get locked away.
  • No drug treatment on the government's dime.

But I know how unpopular that is with the electorate, so I want him to keep talking.

Last edited:

Hijinx

Now he wants to start a family in the WH, he says his partner would make a great father.
I guess that settles the question of who is pitcher and who catches the shaft.

officeguy

Now he wants to start a family in the WH, he says his partner would make a great father.
I guess that settles the question of who is pitcher and who catches the shaft.

The gayer the better. Again, not because I care what he and his husband do, I don't. I want him to come across as fruity and gay as possible, as that completely sinks his chances of getting votes in rural PA, WI and MI.

black dog

Free America
But conversely society shouldn't have to pay the price for an individual's decisions. Who is paying for all the narcan that gets squirted up some addict's nose?

I agree......
Its not the Governments job to wake you up, pluck you off a roof top, ect.......or to save anyone.

Spitfire

Greetings:

And just like that, Mayor Pete sounds more libertarian than Gary Johnson ever did, which I applaud in the general sense.

With that said, this is a terrible idea. Why? Because people addicted to serious drugs (not marijuana) tend to take more than one person down with them, who didn’t take on this burden voluntarily. Addicts of hard drugs will steal from and lie to family until they are finally kicked out and then they become a problem for society at large to fix/deal with. That’s but one path. There are others, of course, some more violent than others.

I’m not willing to support policy or its attendant cost which ignores this basic fact. Decriminalize pot and mushrooms, at least, at the federal level and be done.

Pete

Repete
I am assuming Mayor Pete is applying fundamental principles of economics to his position. Drug treatment and rehab cost thousands per person multiple times. Many of them are on welfare, Medicaid and Section 8 costing us even more. Enhanced law enforcement, jail costs boost these drains on society even more whereas a paupers funeral is only several hundred.

My son has 3 half siblings. His birthday is the day after Christmas. This year his oldest sibling a 35 year old sister with 3 kids, OD'd and died in her sleep for her oldest daughter to find in the morning. Happy birthday!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
My son has 3 half siblings. His birthday is the day after Christmas. This year his oldest sibling a 35 year old sister with 3 kids, OD'd and died in her sleep for her oldest daughter to find in the morning. Happy birthday!

That's horrific. I am so sorry for boy (young man now).