• not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • don't care

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
Floyd Mayweather Jr. is discussing a deal with billionaire Mark Cuban that could put the best boxer on the planet in a mixed martial arts bout.

If an agreement is reached, Mayweather would join HDNet Fights, Cuban's fledgling MMA promotional arm, ESPN reported Friday.

"Floyd is considering fighting with HDNet Fights," Cuban told ESPN.com. "We are going to let him visit some gyms to talk to some folks about what it would take to learn. He knows it won't be easy. But he is getting involved with MMA and HDNet Fights one way or another. He is pumped about it. He wants to go on to the next big thing. Floyd is a brilliant marketer. He follows the money."

The undefeated Mayweather, a five-division world champion regarded as one of the purest pugilists in boxing history, stopped English challenger Ricky Hatton on Dec. 8 to retain his welterweight title.

Cuban and Mayweather, who struck up a friendship during the taping of ABC's "Dancing with the Stars," met Thursday in Las Vegas to discuss a possible role for the boxer with HDNet Fights.

According to ESPN.com, Leonard Ellerbe, a close Mayweather associate, said a move from the sweet science to MMA is something that seriously interests the boxer.

"When Floyd makes his move, obviously it's going to be a mega event," Ellerbe told ESPN. "We don't have a timetable. Floyd is taking some time off, but Floyd understands what is involved. You have to take time to go out and understand what you're getting involved in, and he's ready to do that."

Mayweather, 30, was part of two events in 2007 that generated 3.25 million pay-per-view buys and $200 million in revenue. A defeat of Oscar de la Hoya in May broke PPV records with 2.4 million subscriptions. In all, Mayweather made $50 million for his bouts with de la Hoya and Hatton.

"If I said there's a guaranteed $30 million payday, Floyd would be lacing them up," Cuban told ESPN.com. "If not, I could see him working to train and develop and invest in MMA fighters, knowing the upside. He can teach them how to be a better boxer and add to their other skills."

Should he decide to compete in MMA, Mayweather would immediately become the best boxer to test himself in that arena

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
:lmao:

AWESOME!! With all the smack talk from pure boxers I'd like to see more crossovers. :yay:

CandaceMM

Ummmmm ....
I've never been a fan of PBF, but I will admit that he's a great boxer. It would be interesting to see him in an MMA environment. He's got a lot of speed, but I don't know if he would be able to pull something like this off without getting hurt. Those MMA guys are brutal.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
He damn...

...well better have some wrestling in his background and been pretty good at it as well or he's gonna get his ass pummelled, but bad.

All you fans of MMA remember back when Mark Coleman came along and totally changed the game from jujitsu and stand up striking to one of wrestling first and foremost and now to guys who can wrestle and defend takedowns and also are at least decent strikers. Even the submission guys are very, very good wrestlers.

Obviously, Mayweather is gonna have some lambs fed to him first but, holy ####, he'd get destroyed by decent MMA fighters of today.

No one in their right mind is gonna trade with him, so he's gonna get kicked and he's gonna find out that #### HURTS and then he's gonna get taken down and then he's gonna eat elbows until he gives up his back then he's gonna get choked out. That's assuming he doesn't get submitted on his back first.

The time has long since past. Boxers may have had a chance 10-15 years ago.

No more.

AndyMarquisLIVE

...well better have some wrestling in his background and been pretty good at it as well or he's gonna get his ass pummelled, but bad.

All you fans of MMA remember back when Mark Coleman came along and totally changed the game from jujitsu and stand up striking to one of wrestling first and foremost and now to guys who can wrestle and defend takedowns and also are at least decent strikers. Even the submission guys are very, very good wrestlers.

Obviously, Mayweather is gonna have some lambs fed to him first but, holy ####, he'd get destroyed by decent MMA fighters of today.

No one in their right mind is gonna trade with him, so he's gonna get kicked and he's gonna find out that #### HURTS and then he's gonna get taken down and then he's gonna eat elbows until he gives up his back then he's gonna get choked out. That's assuming he doesn't get submitted on his back first.

The time has long since past. Boxers may have had a chance 10-15 years ago.

No more.
:yeahthat: I forsee an asswhoopin' in his future. He's just asking for it here. Even if he does have some wrestling in his background, it's not as easy as boxing AND wrestling. MMA is just straight up, and Mayweather won't have any rules on his side. He's used to boxing gloves punching with rules and only having to target a certain percentage of the body, not just going out there straight up and fighting for a knockout.

His first fight is going to be ugly. :popcorn:

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
If somebody can teach Mayweather a good takedown defense (not as easy to learn as you'd think) he might have a chance but he'd have to close in QUICKLY and STAY inside to avoid kicks.

Another good cross over is Brock Lesnar from WWF/E.

He's scheduled to fight Frank Mir here in a couple months. can't wait for THAT fight.

Peter Forsberg

Listen he is fast in boxing and never gets hit. In MMA when somebody takes him down and elbows him in his pretty little face GAMEOVER. TAP TAP...

tugboater

Miller Tang Soo Do Rocks
Joe Stevenson calls out Mayweather

Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. dropped a bombshell last week when he said he was considering becoming a mixed martial arts fighter.

One of the world's finest MMA fighters said Mayweather wouldn't be good for the sport and said he's deluding himself if he thinks he can become an elite fighter in a short period of time.

Joe "Daddy" Stevenson, who will fight B.J. Penn for the vacant lightweight title at UFC 80 on Jan. 19 in Newcastle Upon Tyne, England, said Mayweather "wouldn't be good for our sport."

"He represents himself in a different manner and it's not the way I think is correct for our athletes," Stevenson said. "You don't brag about how much money you make. That's totally disrespectful. I've seen him in clubs and I've seen the way he treats people and I can tell you, that's not the kind of a guy we want representing this sport.

And though Stevenson praised Mayweather's boxing skills and his athleticism, he said becoming a world-class MMA fighter takes years of training. He sounded skeptical of the nearly 31-year-old Mayweather's ability to make the transition.

Clearly, Stevenson said, Mayweather would be a dangerous striker, but he would struggle in the other aspects.

"It's moronic for him to think he can cross over and do this at 31," Stevenson said. "It's like me saying I could be the best in golf. It looks easy, but I'd sound retarded to say I could go out there after a couple of months and win. The pressure, the coordination, the ability to play the greens, there are so many things involved.

"Boxing and MMA are different sports. He's a great boxer. He's the best. I was rooting for Ricky Hatton and I have to give Floyd credit for doing what he did. But he'd be in an entirely different sport. And yeah, his strikes would be intimidating, but I'd take him down. He'd have to be able to defend a takedown and that sounds a lot easier than it is." Mayweather hasn't spoken publicly on his plans yet. Stevenson said he'd bring attention to MMA, which is good, but said the sport is growing on its own.

"I don't think we need that kind of attention," Stevenson said. "We have a great sport and a lot of people are beginning to realize that, more every day. We don't have to bring in the best boxers just to get people to pay attention to us, because they're realizing what a great sport we have already."

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yup...

"I don't think we need that kind of attention," Stevenson said. "We have a great sport and a lot of people are beginning to realize that, more every day. We don't have to bring in the best boxers just to get people to pay attention to us, because they're realizing what a great sport we have already."

...no one is lining up to leave MMA to box or be a pro wrestler.

MMA could be improved but, like it or not, it is THE game in the fight game these days.