McConnell Could Stop Biden From Replacing Justice Stephen Breyer Due To ‘Little-Noticed Backroom Deal’: Report

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“Well, in a little-noticed backroom deal that took more than a month to hammer out, McConnell and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer agreed to a power-sharing plan in February that splits committee membership, staffs and budgets in half.”

“If all 11 Republican members of the Judiciary Committee oppose Biden’s pick and all 11 Democrats back her, the nomination goes inert. The nomination doesn’t die, but it does get parked until a lawmaker—historically, the Leader of the party—brings it to the floor for four hours of debate,” the report added. “A majority of the Senate—51 votes, typically—can then put debate about the issue on the calendar for the next day. But that’s the last easy part. When the potential pick comes to the floor again, it’s not as a nomination. At that point, it’s a motion to discharge, a cloture motion that requires 60 votes. In other words, 10 Republicans would have to resurrect the nomination of someone already blocked in the Judiciary Committee.”

McConnell told reporters on Wednesday that he was going to wait to comment on Breyer’s retirement until an official announcement was made.

Rommey

Its a little soon to be talking about blocking a nomination. After all, we don't know who the nominee is going to be, but since Biden campaigned on it being a black woman, that narrows the field significantly. I'm sure there are several black women Federal judges that have already been confirmed by the Senate, and its doubtful she would face the Kavanaugh treatment.

Hijinx

We all have to wait. The man isn't retiring until this summer.
But how stupid is making a statement that it has to be a black woman.
It isn't the fact that anyone feels a black woman should be named it is the fact that a Justice of the Supreme Court is going to be picked not because of expertise or experience , or knowledge of the law, but because she fits the political agenda of the hack who picks her.

IMO it is insulting to the person he picks.
It doesn't say this woman is capable, smart and the best we have for the job.
It says exactly what it is.--------------She was picked because she was black and a woman.

Just like Kamala Harris.

Maybe it will be Kamala Harris. Or some other Cackler.
But it will probably not be the best person picked because they are the best in their profession.
One thing is certain, we already have 2 lesbians on the court who were picked for political reasons and neither of them know sh*t from apple butter. Do we need another?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
There are certainly black women judges who would make terrific Supremes, but I have no expectation that Biden will choose one of them. It will certainly be some mentally ill BLM AntiFa prog who got through law school via affirmative action.

SamSpade

There are certainly black women judges who would make terrific Supremes, but I have no expectation that Biden will choose one of them. It will certainly be some mentally ill BLM AntiFa prog who got through law school via affirmative action.

Not sure where I heard this, but it's a common enough sentiment - how does it FEEL to know you were picked as a running mate or a nominee to SCOTUS - NOT so much on your creds - but on your race - or gender - or nationality - - ? I suppose it is true of a lot of people who benefit from Affirmative Action where they might ask themselves - would I have ever gotten here if people were chosen without knowledge of anything but my experience, knowledge and education?

I'm sure there are some who think - screw that - I'm DA - or VP - who cares? I think Kamala is having some second thoughts now, because while you can be a mediocre DA for a state, if you suck at being VP, you'll be remembered for it forever.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Not sure where I heard this, but it's a common enough sentiment - how does it FEEL to know you were picked as a running mate or a nominee to SCOTUS - NOT so much on your creds - but on your race - or gender - or nationality - - ? I suppose it is true of a lot of people who benefit from Affirmative Action where they might ask themselves - would I have ever gotten here if people were chosen without knowledge of anything but my experience, knowledge and education?

I'm sure there are some who think - screw that - I'm DA - or VP - who cares? I think Kamala is having some second thoughts now, because while you can be a mediocre DA for a state, if you suck at being VP, you'll be remembered for it forever.

I think most people will park their ego when it comes to getting something for nothing. I don't think Kamala is embarrassed or upset about her dismal performance - I think she's fine with having that VP attached to her name. Plus she surrounds herself with yes-men who will stroke her ego all day long and tell her that she's brilliant, it's just the ignorant rabble giving her poor marks.

Joy Reid - who is the dumbest black woman I can think of - would take that SCOTUS slot in a heartbeat, not thinking for one second whether she's qualified for it or not.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I think most people will park their ego when it comes to getting something for nothing. I don't think Kamala is embarrassed or upset about her dismal performance - I think she's fine with having that VP attached to her name.

:yay:

Joe set that bar low to begin with. Just as hes' doing with the "Prez" now.

stgislander

PREMO Member
Let's hope at least it's someone with experience as a judge. Unlike a certain justice on the bench.

SamSpade

I just read on RealClearPolitics something ELSE that might pose a problem -
In a 50-50 split in the Senate - is it legal - constitutional - for the VP to cast a deciding vote for SCOTUS?

I don't thinik it will come to that - Republicans have been MUCH MORE accommodating to Democrat nominees than the reverse - you can always find a Republican Senator willing to confrim a nominee for SCOTUS under a Democrat White House.

With the exception of Merrick Garland - whom I believe probably deserved a VOTE but for something I suspect McConnell KNEW (later on that) - this is what we've had -

Democratic President nominated -
RGB - 96-3
Breyer -87-9
Sotomayor - 68-31
Kagan - 63-37

Republican President nominees -
Thomas - 52-48
Roberts - 78-22
Alito - 58-42
Gorsuch - 54-45
Kavanaigh - 50-48
Barrett - 52-48

Alito got 4 Democat votes.
Gorsuch got 3 (one of those was Manchin)
Kavanuagh got ONE (Manchin, again)
Barrett got zero in a straight party vote.

I think McConnell knew SOME of his Republican colleagues in the Senate would NOT be partisan - as the Dems have been since Bork and Thomas - and would vote him in.

Overall, it's rare over history that nominees to SCOTUS are such controversial issues. Bork was really the first, and it largely went downhill from there. You can usually count on Democrats to ALWAYS OPPOSE any Republican appointed nominee, and for the Dems to approve a nominee from a Democrat President (with only two exceptions i can find in the last few decades).

SamSpade

I think most people will park their ego when it comes to getting something for nothing. I don't think Kamala is embarrassed or upset about her dismal performance - I think she's fine with having that VP attached to her name. Plus she surrounds herself with yes-men who will stroke her ego all day long and tell her that she's brilliant, it's just the ignorant rabble giving her poor marks.

Joy Reid - who is the dumbest black woman I can think of - would take that SCOTUS slot in a heartbeat, not thinking for one second whether she's qualified for it or not.

From experience, the only people I have encountered that seriously DON'T KNOW when they are in way over their head - are people who are profoundly stupid. It generally takes catastrophe for them to come anywhere NEAR that realization, and when they get the boot - they blame others for it.

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence - or conscience - is constantly wondering, how long before EVERYONE knows I have no idea how to do this job? Anyone who reaps any kind of satisfaction for having done a good job at something through their own hard work - knows - and worries - when they can't do it on their job.

Reactions: BOP

BOP

Its a little soon to be talking about blocking a nomination. After all, we don't know who the nominee is going to be, but since Biden campaigned on it being a black woman, that narrows the field significantly. I'm sure there are several black women Federal judges that have already been confirmed by the Senate, and its doubtful she would face the Kavanaugh treatment.
Burn, Loot, Murder, Inc. would be rioting in the streets at the mere suggestion.

BOP

And if you suck to get where you got, people don't forget that, either.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
From experience, the only people I have encountered that seriously DON'T KNOW when they are in way over their head - are people who are profoundly stupid. It generally takes catastrophe for them to come anywhere NEAR that realization, and when they get the boot - they blame others for it.

Anyone with an ounce of intelligence - or conscience - is constantly wondering, how long before EVERYONE knows I have no idea how to do this job? Anyone who reaps any kind of satisfaction for having done a good job at something through their own hard work - knows - and worries - when they can't do it on their job.

Then Hillary Clinton must be the dumbest bia in the universe because she apparently doesn't realize she's unqualified for whatever they hand her, she then reaches for more.

Politics is about power and money. None of them appear to be concerned about their quality of work so long as they can get rich and flex their muscles.

PJay

Biden will nominate the smartest guy he knows

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

So far she’s the Jimmy Carter of VP’s.

Hijinx

I wholeheartedly agree that Joy Reid is not very bright, but saying she is the dumbest black woman is putting her in some really fast company. Sheila Jackson Lee, Maxine Waters, Stacey Abrams, Just to mention 3.

There are certainly black women judges who would make terrific Supremes,

Can you name one? Besides Candace Owens?

It's like the old west when a gunslinger says "Never claim to be the fastest gun, there is always someone faster.

Really smart people know that somewhere there is someone smarter.

SamSpade

Really smart people know that somewhere there is someone smarter.
When I was growing up, I was always the smartest kid in school. Over time, that changed. By the time I got to high school there were a lot. By the time I got to college it was an AWFUL lot.

I eventually learned that when you surround yourself with smarter people you can learn a lot more, and faster.

herb749

Burn, Loot, Murder, Inc. would be rioting in the streets at the mere suggestion.

Speaking of them, has everyone seen how quiet they've been. Cops are still shooting down black men. But no protests or riots . :sshrug:

Reactions: BOP

Hijinx

Speaking of them, has everyone seen how quiet they've been. Cops are still shooting down black men. But no protests or riots . :sshrug:

I was just reading yesterday that no one is in charge.
They have 60 Million Dollars and no one knows who is running things.
Their original leader got 3 million dollar houses out of them and left.
Now no one knows who is running things.
I suppose with 60 Million dollars laying around someone will eventually show up to stir the rabble, but right now they are in limbo.