McDonald’s Happy Meal resists decomposition for si

BuddyLee

Football addict
Vladimir Lenin, King Tut and the [COLOR=#366388 !important][FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][COLOR=#366388 !important][FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]McDonald's [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][COLOR=#366388 !important][FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Happy [/FONT][/color][COLOR=#366388 !important][FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Meal[/FONT][/color][/FONT][/color][/color]: What do they all have in common? A shocking resistance to Mother Nature's cycle of decomposition and biodegradability, apparently.

That's the disturbing point brought home by the latest project of New York City-based artist and photographer Sally Davies, who bought a McDonald's [COLOR=#366388 !important][FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][COLOR=#366388 !important][FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Happy [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif][COLOR=#366388 !important][FONT=arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif]Meal[/FONT][/color][/FONT][/color][/color] back in April and left it out in her kitchen to see how well it would hold up over time.

The results? "The only change that I can see is that it has become hard as a rock," Davies told the U.K. Daily Mail.

She proceeded to photograph the Happy Meal each week and posted the pictures to Flickr to record the results of her experiment. Now, just over six months later, the Happy Meal has yet to even grow mold. She told the Daily Mail that "the food is plastic to the touch and has an acrylic sheen to it."

McDonald’s Happy Meal resists decomposition for six months | The Upshot Yahoo! News - Yahoo! News

I'm lovin' it.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
I call BS on her. In college, I saw a number of McDonald's meal left out for days in someones apartment/dorm. They get moldy and funky. Just by the fact they put ketchup and pickles standard on the happy meal, which I don't see in her picture, the moisture gains the mold and gunk. I think she did something or carefully controlled the 'experiment'.

:shrug:

BOP

I don't eat happy mals , but the Big Mac's have no problem decomposing in me, mostly about a half hour after i eat one it is ready to run through me.

I use them as a laxative.

I had a buddy who experienced the same result. Every single time. Me: exactly the opposite effect.

hvp05

Methodically disorganized
I had a buddy who experienced the same result. Every single time. Me: exactly the opposite effect.
:lol: I had the former result. Not with Big Macs but Quarter Pounders.

I guess the Big Mac's initials are "BM" for more than one reason. :lol:

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
Well, she hasn't actually left them sitting on her counter undisturbed all this time. Either she's doing something to the food (like periodic microwaving to kill bacteria/mold, etc. or the fries have developed the ability to move themselves.

Attachments

• happymeals.jpg
    happymeals.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 67

belvak

Happy Camper
Well, she hasn't actually left them sitting on her counter undisturbed all this time. Either she's doing something to the food (like periodic microwaving to kill bacteria/mold, etc. or the fries have developed the ability to move themselves.

It looks like the bun is in a different position too!

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

It looks like the bun is in a different position too!

She said it was because she had the plate on a shelf and took it down to photograph it..and the food slid around

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
She said it was because she had the plate on a shelf and took it down to photograph it..and the food slid around

Even the bun's orientation changes from picture to picture. The woman is affecting the outcome of the study by interfering with it on a daily basis.

belvak

Happy Camper

From the article:

That's the disturbing point brought home by the latest project of New York City-based artist and photographer Sally Davies, who bought a McDonald's Happy Meal back in April and left it out in her kitchen to see how well it would hold up over time.

The results? "The only change that I can see is that it has become hard as a rock," Davies told the U.K. Daily Mail.

From her flickr page:

McDonalds Happy Meal. Purchased fresh from McDonalds on April 10, 2010 and have been photographing subsequently ever since. Its sitting on my coffee table with nothing covering. it. No bugs, no mould, no smell, nothing.

Something doesn't add up...

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
McDonald’s Happy Meal resists decomposition for six months | The Upshot Yahoo! News - Yahoo! News

Some observers of the photo series have noted that the burger's bun appears at different angles, and therefore aired suspicions that the Happy Meal may not in fact be as "untouched" as the project's groundrules stipulate. Davies says there's a simple explanation for the mobile-bun effect. "The meal is on a plate in my apartment on a shelf," she says, "and when I take it down to shoot it, the food slides around. It's hard as rock on a glass plate, so sure, the food is moving."

Not office I guess..still

belvak

Happy Camper
Some observers of the photo series have noted that the burger's bun appears at different angles, and therefore aired suspicions that the Happy Meal may not in fact be as "untouched" as the project's groundrules stipulate. Davies says there's a simple explanation for the mobile-bun effect. "The meal is on a plate in my apartment on a shelf," she says, "and when I take it down to shoot it, the food slides around. It's hard as rock on a glass plate, so sure, the food is moving."

Not office I guess..still

I'm still not buying it. There's still that "kitchen/coffee table" discrepancy. I don't know many people who have a coffee table in their kitchen. And, if she really wanted it to be documented, she should have displayed it publicly so that it could be verified.

I don't doubt the fries part. When the kids were little, I used to find old fries tucked in hard to reach spots in the car and they were not moldy, just hard as rocks. Even the "burger" might be believable as it isn't real meat! But, I'm pretty sure the bun would have molded some. :shrug: