McKays Great Mills closing

glhs837

Power with Control
Knew it was a matter of time. I'll miss the hardware section.....

http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index.cfm/fa/viewstory/story_ID/36082

Been here long enough to remember when they had just the little stub of the entry road, lots of folks frequenting Cadillac Jacks would use it as overflow parking.

Although I have to call BS on many patrons being served by other locations, many of the patrons walk from the nearby low rent areas and certainly wont be going to Leonardtown :)

Last edited:
To this day, I have no idea how they stayed in business this long. They had a huge building, huge inventory and anytime I was there, only a handful of customers.

That was a great place to get my wood pellets. :ohwell:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
They had great yarn finds at that store. I could get some yarn, a couple of bottles of wine, a tub of butter and a new hammer all at the same time. Sad that there won't be a place like that around anymore.

glhs837

Power with Control
If I recall the story correctly from back in the day, whichever McKay was in charge at the time (early 90s) had been to the midwest, IN, OH, NB, who knows, and saw a store where you could get everything like this and decided it was a great idea.

Pete

Repete
I rented a really long drain snake at that McKays once because a friend of mine had a party and someone thought you could put 4 dozen lime halves down the garbage disposal.

luvmygdaughters

Too Bad for the Navy folk who live in that area. I live in Leonardtown and love the one on 245 and in Leonardtown. Great Mills was a little sketchy as was the one in Wildwood. Oh well, good for the commissary I guess, although, they still have the Giant and Food Lion to shop at.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I hope that area doesn’t go downhill now.
:lmao:
now?
:killingme

that strip center has been pretty much vacant for the last few years, in fact it was never full.
The parking lot and the store front are so well lit you would have guessed it was closed long ago.
I remember when it was first opened, it had promise.

Just a hunch, but how long do you give the Leonardtown store?

Inkd

Knew it was a matter of time. I'll miss the hardware section.....

http://www.thebaynet.com/news/index.cfm/fa/viewstory/story_ID/36082

Been here long enough to remember when they had just the little stub of the entry road, lots of folks frequenting Cadillac Jacks would use it as overflow parking.

Although I have to call BS on many patrons being served by other locations, many of the patrons walk from the nearby low rent areas and certainly wont be going to Leonardtown :)

That sucks. Except for the location, I loved that store. I found some items in the hardware store there that Lowes didn't have. I liked being able to get groceries and head down GMR and turn left to go to Ridge too. Instead of having to go right off the base to the stores up the road and then head back south.

SamSpade

I used to do most of my shopping at the Wildewood or 245 locations - but one is closed, and the other really is little more than a liquor store that sometimes sell groceries. Unless it's something I am certain they will be selling - like milk or bread - I don't bother to go there, because most of the time, they just don't have what I want in stock.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I used to do most of my shopping at the Wildewood or 245 locations - but one is closed, and the other really is little more than a liquor store that sometimes sell groceries. Unless it's something I am certain they will be selling - like milk or bread - I don't bother to go there, because most of the time, they just don't have what I want in stock.

I'm not to particular about saving a nickel - I use coupons, discount cards etc - but when it comes to choosing a store I want quality. I want a clean, organized and well stocked store. Like you, I want to be able to go in, get what I want and get out.
The McKay's on GM Rd started out with promise, then it slowly slid downhill. When Super Fresh opened up the new super store (now Shoppers) it became the place to go.
When McKay's took over the Wildewood Super Fresh I don't think they put much into that store. It was convenient, but that was about all.
IMHO, the family business needs to look in the mirror. They needed to define what their market was and then focus on quality, service and cleanliness.

I use to really like Woodburns, which I believe became part of the McKay family business. I thought they knew their market and did a really nice job catering to that market.
Good meats, seafood and produce. A small market, catering to a more upscale customer. Sure it was a small store, but it had a lot of really nice stuff, from the bakery in front, to the meat and seafood in the rear.

MarieB

It's sad to see a business close doors, but in my relatively short time here I'm not surprised.

Justme2

SO or SEW

SO What can IIIIIII Buy Cheap there Remember somebody less misfortune is my gain That is the current view of most things is what can I gain since your losing it??????