McKay's in California

SandieGarry

I kinda like the new store. Every time I've been in there, weekday afternoon or weekend, it's semi crowded. At the checkout, there have been at least 3 people in line. I like it.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Stopped in to the new McKays today. Laid out pretty much just like the old Shoppers, if you didn't see the name change outside, you'd never know.
I think layout is dictated on psychology. The store is organized in such a way to maximize purchases. So not surprising all stores are similar.
Also given that certain fixtures were in place, it was probably easier to leave the water, electric and drainage the way it was.
Just my guess.
Hopefully new floors and a coat of paint or two.
Do they have chicken feet in the meat case?
Cow tongue?
Some of the delicacies that satisfied the needs of the Shoppers crowd.
Not being snarky, but watch a store over time.
If they had prime steaks and a butcher counter where you could pick a particular cut and then it's gone, well that's because not enough people wanted that. When chicken parts that like feet, livers, etc are more plentiful than boneless / skinless breast, well you know what sells.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I think layout is dictated on psychology. The store is organized in such a way to maximize purchases.
What I was implying is that it IS Shopper's layout. When you walk in, the fruit, veggie, bakery counters and displays are from the Shoppers store, didn't move them, didn't change them. The meat section in Shopper's had a 45 degree case on the back wall, it was still there untouched. It was the exact layout of the Shopper's store. The only thing that seemed different was new cold cases with LED doors on the far side of the store.

I don't normally look for chicken feet, so no clue there.....

BernieP

Resident PIA
What I was implying is that it IS Shopper's layout. When you walk in, the fruit, veggie, bakery counters and displays are from the Shoppers store, didn't move them, didn't change them. The meat section in Shopper's had a 45 degree case on the back wall, it was still there untouched. It was the exact layout of the Shopper's store. The only thing that seemed different was new cold cases with LED doors on the far side of the store.

That's like the McKays in Leonardtown and very similar to Giant and Harris Teeter
Walk along the back wall of the store, from the bakery to the frozen food case and check out the seafood and meat selections.
:lol:
Shoppers didn't start out this way, but later on they had things in that case no other store had.
Nothing I was going to cook either, but to each their own.

jrt_ms1995

The seafood display had these enormous shrimp. Any bigger and they'd be small lobsters. Had to try them too. I'll marinate and grill them tonight.
Hope they were good, but, you know, the big shrimp are what the trade offloads to Yankees (and others) who don't know any better. :whistle:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Hope they were good, but, you know, the big shrimp are what the trade offloads to Yankees (and others) who don't know any better. :whistle:
Actually, they were pretty good, better than the regular medium/large shrimp which had very little flavor, bland. The only downside is that they still had the heads attached, so you pay for stuff you don't eat, unless you make a seafood broth with them. I don't.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
The seafood display had these enormous shrimp. Any bigger and they'd be small lobsters. Had to try them too. I'll marinate and grill them tonight.
I think my Italian Nonnie would call those Gamberone, aka Langostinos (Spanish) aka Prawns.

TPD

the poor dad
Last night we had porterhouse steaks for dinner. We usually have steak at least once a week, and I always tell my wife to buy the best steak that her money can buy, so we usually have ribeye, porterhouse or mignon. She tries to find the butcher to cut thick ones for her - can't stand the thin stuff in the display cases. She doesn't shop at the same grocery store each week - likes to mix it up.

Anyhow, last night she cooked the porterhouse on the grill. The minute I took the 1st bite, I knew it was different than anything we had eaten in the past year or so - much better flavor and tenderness. I mentioned this. My daughter agreed but wasn't gonna say anything because she just thought she was extremely hungry and anything was going to taste good. Asked the wife where she got the steak. Yup - McKays. When McKays had their location on Great Mills Road that is where we would buy our meats. Didn't realize what we were missing till last night.

Last night we had porterhouse steaks for dinner. We usually have steak at least once a week, and I always tell my wife to buy the best steak that her money can buy, so we usually have ribeye, porterhouse or mignon. She tries to find the butcher to cut thick ones for her - can't stand the thin stuff in the display cases. She doesn't shop at the same grocery store each week - likes to mix it up.

Anyhow, last night she cooked the porterhouse on the grill. The minute I took the 1st bite, I knew it was different than anything we had eaten in the past year or so - much better flavor and tenderness. I mentioned this. My daughter agreed but wasn't gonna say anything because she just thought she was extremely hungry and anything was going to taste good. Asked the wife where she got the steak. Yup - McKays. When McKays had their location on Great Mills Road that is where we would buy our meats. Didn't realize what we were missing till last night.
If you like burgers, I recommend getting the 2 for $10 pre-seasoned raw burger balls from the meat case. They are HIGH END ground beef and perfectly seasoned, big enough that you can either go with 2 YUGE burgers that a basic human would find it hard to finish one or divide each ball and make 4 perfect size meaty burgers.

Clem72

Probably a good idea. 90% of the reason I usually go to Food Lion in LTown rather than McKay's is that I know where everything is so I can buzz through the entire store quickly and get everything on my list in a few minutes. In the McKay's I will spend an hour in the store, only find half my list, and then give up and leave. I know if I spent the time to learn their layout I probably wouldn't mind as much, but it is too different from every other grocery (maybe due to florist and their weird half-aisles). Their store in the Park was much easier to get through. At leas their check-out is always fast.

Does the Shoppers one have a hot food section for the lunch crowd? Sushi? Will their seafood counter steam shrimp for you in the store like the one in the Park used to?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Does the Shoppers one have a hot food section for the lunch crowd? Sushi? Will their seafood counter steam shrimp for you in the store like the one in the Park used to?
I believe they are all still shut down due to the covid.

ginwoman

Probably a good idea. 90% of the reason I usually go to Food Lion in LTown rather than McKay's is that I know where everything is so I can buzz through the entire store quickly and get everything on my list in a few minutes. In the McKay's I will spend an hour in the store, only find half my list, and then give up and leave. I know if I spent the time to learn their layout I probably wouldn't mind as much, but it is too different from every other grocery (maybe due to florist and their weird half-aisles). Their store in the Park was much easier to get through. At leas their check-out is always fast.

I do the same thing with McKay's in LTown. Give up and leave after finding half my list.

TPD

the poor dad
If you like burgers, I recommend getting the 2 for $10 pre-seasoned raw burger balls from the meat case. They are HIGH END ground beef and perfectly seasoned, big enough that you can either go with 2 YUGE burgers that a basic human would find it hard to finish one or divide each ball and make 4 perfect size meaty burgers.
Thanks for the tip - will let my wife know.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The new one does too. Behind the counter. I got lunch there. If you're on a tight budget, stay away from the chocolate area (don't want to say the name). $14 for the 6 pieces that I got. Never again.
The hot and salad bars at HT have been closed for a year.