McKays in Leonardtown- How long do you give it?

Went in there the other day and the store was half stocked. They have no sales banners up front in the windows like normal. The deli is basically shut down and they have wrapped premade sandwichs where the premade dinners and chickens are. Chip, bread, milk and eggs were basically empty. Also noticed that some whole brands were gone. Like they had a little debbie branded end cap with no actual product. I know the labor market is hard and I have seen locals use that as an excuse, but it can't be the cause of this. The one thing you NEED to do as a grocery store is keep staples like bread and milk stocked.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I used to love McKay's because they had cool stuff that other stores didn't have - coffees and imported condiments, regional cult brands, and the one in Ltown had a real butcher who would cut meat to your specification. I hope they're not shutting down.

I used to love McKay's because they had cool stuff that other stores didn't have - coffees and imported condiments, regional cult brands, and the one in Ltown had a real butcher who would cut meat to your specification. I hope they're not shutting down.
It all went to hell. The plug is pulled and the remaining locations are just circling the drain.

Loper

Animal Poor!
Was able to hit the Charlotte Hall location to stock up on their 100% pure jalapeño powder.
well if you ever run out I make my own. Grow the peppers, freeze dry them and then powder. Jalapeno, habanero, ghost, and Carolina reaper :hot:

Clem72

Well it's unfortunate, but the store in leonardtown is in a good location so hopefully a more competent store will go in it's place.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
No Woodburns was in Calvert. There was a grocery store in the Mechanicsville back in the 70s and early 80s.
I graduated with one of the sons. I never understood why the sons didn't buy the business. I only went in there once, sometime in 1986-87(?) timeframe. I know the year because I was a newlywed and ran into an old flame.

tipsymcgee

Woods ran briefly into the '90s, maybe even close to '95. I was renting a place in Mechanicsville around '92-'93 and it was open.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
I was in the Leonardtown location yesterday. I don't think it will be too much longer from what I saw.

mitzi

I always loved the deli. They have the best cole slaw. I would never buy it anywhere else (it's always that prepacked crap). So many items were made in the store by the ladies who've worked there for decades. What will I do without their fried chicken :(. I hope it turns around and they don't close, but it sure doesn't sound good.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What will I do without their fried chicken :(.

Oh man, YUM!

But it's just a matter of time for all locally owned businesses. Between the chains and the internet, it's tough to compete. In my travels I've found a handful of cities that don't allow chains - it's all one of a kind Mom & Pop, even the grocery store - and they're doing just fine, but they're few and far between. Once Walmart and all the others show up, that's that.

mitzi

They shouldn't have opened the one in San Souchi and Waldorf. The pandemic started and so many people were doing order pick up and delivery from other stores. That had to hurt their business. This is really a shame. Mr. and Mrs. McKay would still come in and work at the different stores when they were up their 80s. He would still push customers carts out to their car.

Last edited: