McKay's

Nupe2

McKay's in Charlotte Hall is basically empty. Anyone hearing anything about its future?

PJay

Looks like a Russian Walmart in there so no surprise. I'll search for that other thread. Thanks! 👍🏾
Mentioned here:

and a couple other threads a while back..sorry, do not remember the names of those.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
It might as well become a Weis or a Giant store.

One could only hope. McKays has been on life support for a long time now and it isn't even worth walking into it anymore. Rumors say he hasn't paid his vendors and owes a great deal of money to them, hence the reason he hasn't been able to stock the shelves. In a sense, it is heart breaking. There is no reason for a grocery store to fail when you only have one other store down the street and then nothing for miles and miles.

frequentflier

happy to be living
One could only hope. McKays has been on life support for a long time now and it isn't even worth walking into it anymore. Rumors say he hasn't paid his vendors and owes a great deal of money to them, hence the reason he hasn't been able to stock the shelves. In a sense, it is heart breaking. There is no reason for a grocery store to fail when you only have one other store down the street and then nothing for miles and miles.
Rumor had it he screwed vendors when he closed Woodburns in Solomons, too. Not a very respectable person, businessman, politician in my books.

DaSDGuy

And some people wanted him to lead the county commissioners. Go figure.

BernieP

Resident PIA
That's pretty much what I heard.

PeoplesElbow

I had a feeling when I went into the one on GMR and their freezers were all leaking on the floor and there were entire rolls of paper towels lining the bottom of the freezers. I'd pick moldy crap off the shelf and drop it off at customer service and they would look at me like "what I am supposed to do with this". I worked meat and seafood in a grocery store and I wouldn't buy either from McKays, I knew what an uncleaned area smelled like.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I had a feeling when I went into the one on GMR and their freezers were all leaking on the floor and there were entire rolls of paper towels lining the bottom of the freezers. I'd pick moldy crap off the shelf and drop it off at customer service and they would look at me like "what I am supposed to do with this". I worked meat and seafood in a grocery store and I wouldn't buy either from McKays, I knew what an uncleaned area smelled like.
And the sun/light faded boxes.

Dakota

~~~~~~~

NASTY

My son worked at the one in CH about 10+ years ago and was in the dairy section - stocking - rotating - cleaning, blah blah blah. I saw so many reviews talking about how that store had drastically improved in this area but when he left, the reviews about expired food on the shelves returned. As a mom, I smiled because I knew why it improved and why it went bad.

It really is sad, because I used to drive from Waldorf to McKay's in CH decades ago (before moving to this area) just to shop. They always had workers at the deli, a packed seafood section... just nice!

Now, it reminds me of a neglected K-mart bathroom. :(