MD Auto Inspections

VenusDoom

Rock Star
Where's the most economical place in the area to get an inspection done? I just bought a new car today and I need to get that done ASAP. TIA!

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Where's the most economical place in the area to get an inspection done? I just bought a new car today and I need to get that done ASAP. TIA!

new car's don't need to be inspected..

well, unless it's a Toyota maybe..

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
New new or Nused?

If you purchased nused from a dealer it should have been done beforehand. If you purchased from a private seller you should have had them get it inspected before dropping coin. Get the carfax.:yay:

VenusDoom

Rock Star
new car's don't need to be inspected..

well, unless it's a Toyota maybe..

New new or Nused?

If you purchased nused from a dealer it should have been done beforehand. If you purchased from a private seller you should have had them get it inspected before dropping coin. Get the carfax.:yay:

I bought it new used from a dealer in Fairfax, VA. It's been VA inspected and passed with flying colors... but I live in Maryland and it'll require Maryland tags which requires a Maryland inspection.

Since it's a state mandated activity, pretty sure they all charge the same

False. The state mandates that they cannot charge more than $150 (I believe that's the limit) however they can charge whatever they want up to the state mandated amount. Some places will do it for $150, some will do it for $50. It's not that I'm a cheap ass, I just literally wrote a check for $6166 yesterday (about $1600 more than I really wanted to pay for a new used car) and need an ecomonical solution to the inspection issue.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
It's not that I'm a cheap ass, I just literally wrote a check for $6166 yesterday (about $1600 more than I really wanted to pay for a new used car) and need an ecomonical solution to the inspection issue.

I've found Hewitt's across from San Souci to be fair and honest.

It's not what they charge for inspection, it's the exta's.
Adjust your head lights, replace a wiper blade, etc

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I bought it new used from a dealer in Fairfax, VA. It's been VA inspected and passed with flying colors... but I live in Maryland and it'll require Maryland tags which requires a Maryland inspection.

False. The state mandates that they cannot charge more than $150 (I believe that's the limit) however they can charge whatever they want up to the state mandated amount. Some places will do it for $150, some will do it for $50. It's not that I'm a cheap ass, I just literally wrote a check for $6166 yesterday (about $1600 more than I really wanted to pay for a new used car) and need an ecomonical solution to the inspection issue.
They all charge about the same :competition: S45.00 Cheseldines (Meineke)

Why did you go all the way to Fairfax, VA? And spend more than you wanted to boot.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

An honest dealer would have refunded the cost of the VA inspection.
Expect problems

Spring10

Clear answers are not always forthcoming on this site.

I just paid $80.00 for an inspection at the tire place by big lots. It failed for three items. I had all the repairs done at another shop, PJ's. Then took it back for a re-inspection, that time for free.

Maryland allows you up to 30 days to get this all done. I'm sure there are other places that might do it cheaper, but I went with who my friends recommended.

Vince

I thought all places had to charge the same for a MD inspection since it is a state mandated inspection? :confused:

VenusDoom

Rock Star
They all charge about the same :competition: S45.00 Cheseldines (Meineke)

Why did you go all the way to Fairfax, VA? And spend more than you wanted to boot.

Because the price was right for the car. We've been looking at the Libertys for a couple of weeks and we found a really great car at a really great price, it was just a little more than I was wanting to spend on a car.

Basically I paid $6,616 out the door for a vehicle that's worth about $8,000. If I traded it back in right now I'd make money off the deal.

thatguy

I thought all places had to charge the same for a MD inspection since it is a state mandated inspection? :confused:

nope, as was explained before, there is a max, but inspection tations can charge what they want. they are usually in the same ballpark, the difference is if they charge a reinspection fee. The state allows up to the full price originally charged. A lot of places will try this if you fail and then dont have them do the work......

Spring10

nope, as was explained before, there is a max, but inspection tations can charge what they want. they are usually in the same ballpark, the difference is if they charge a reinspection fee. The state allows up to the full price originally charged. A lot of places will try this if you fail and then dont have them do the work......

The tire place I went to would re-inspect for free up to 30 days. Which they honored. I would just ask ahead before having someone inspect and it they won't, go somewhere else.

dave1959

Partialy wrong: Headlamp adjustment, if needed , is included.

dave1959

Clear answers are not always forthcoming on this site.

I just paid $80.00 for an inspection at the tire place by big lots. It failed for three items. I had all the repairs done at another shop, PJ's. Then took it back for a re-inspection, that time for free.

Maryland allows you up to 30 days to get this all done. I'm sure there are other places that might do it cheaper, but I went with who my friends recommended.

30 days or 1000 miles

dave1959

(1) The licensee of an authorized inspection station open to the public may establish a fee for a complete inspection based on the times listed in this section at the hourly flat rate charged for similar mechanical repairs:
(a) Vehicles 10,000 pounds and under GVWR-----1.5 hours, which includes 0.4 hour for adjustment of headlights;(b) Vehicles 10,000 pound and under GVWR with 4-wheel drive or full floating axles-----2.0 hours, which includes 0.4 hour for adjustment of headlights, and with each additional axle add 1 hour;
(c) Vehicles over 10,000 pounds GVWR with front and rear brakes-----2.9 hours, which includes 0.4 hour for adjustment of headlights, and with each additional axle add 1.5 hours;
(d) Vehicles over 10,000 pounds GVWR without front brakes-----2.4 hours, which includes 0.4 hour for adjustment of headlights and with each additional axle with brakes add 1.5 hours;
(e) Trailers under 10,000 pounds GVWR without brakes-----0.5 hour, and with each axle with brakes add 0.5 hour;
(f) Trailers over 10,000 pounds GVWR-----0.5 hour:

(i) Each additional axle with single wheels add 0.75 hour,
(ii) Each additional axle with dual wheels add 1.5 hours;

VenusDoom

Rock Star
Well thanks everyone for the suggestions! I ended up going to Mr. Tire in Leonardtown because it was just easier since I work and school in Leonardtown. It passed :yahoo: I found out after the fact that the particular location I went to has one of the tougher inspectors in the state :doh:

Now to mail in the inspection certificate... I'll have plates by next Monday, and personalized plates within 4 weeks of that!