Md. Gov. Larry Hogan issues ‘stay at home’ order

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And can I just tell you folks? This is a serious thread with a topic. If it makes you uncomfortable and you need to cut up and :starcat: to change the subject, let me suggest you get out of this thread and start another. Some people are actually interested in the subject.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
...……………..

ACE hardware in L'town only allows 10 customers at a time plus the 6-10 employees at a time. I can see HD/Lowe's allowing maybe 50 customers in at a time but like I said the other day, Lowe's was like Black Friday packed on Monday. I need a couple more items for my project but I will use curbside pick up for that until this gets on the backside.

Same thing at Sneade's up here. Kind of like Studio 54 was but without the expensive clothes and coke.

mitzi

What made you think that? That's not snark, that's a real question.

Tons of people are supposedly positive, according to the news, despite having no symptoms. Chris Cuomo, for one. That's why when someone says so and so tested positive I ask if they were sick - because according to the numbers, only a very few people who have the virus actually get sick.

Conversely, there are people who are having symptoms....and they can't get tested. Misfit on here (who I know personally) is a first-hand account, and I have other real friends who had severe flu symptoms and were told to get rest, drink fluids, and shake it off.

I marvel that people are largely not questioning this.

Why would they close the parks? Why would they close the golf courses, which is the most social distancing sport invented? Why are all these recreational activities banned, but you can still crowd into the liquor store?

In what way does any of this make sense?

I thought that because that's what was being advised a month ago. Someone close to me was in Europe when this took off a month ago. When she got back, her job made her quarantine from work for 2 weeks but said she wouldn't be tested unless she showed symptoms. Has this changed? I don't know.
I agree that a lot of it doesn't make sense as far as what's shut down and what isn't.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I thought that because that's what was being advised a month ago. Someone close to me was in Europe when this took off a month ago. When she got back, her job made her quarantine from work for 2 weeks but said she wouldn't be tested unless she showed symptoms. Has this changed? I don't know.

There are a ton of celebrities who reportedly have tested positive, yet have not gotten sick or shown any symptoms. It's all over the news pretty much every day. Are they lying for the attention? No doubt some are, but I don't think the politicians who are positive yet asymptomatic or the news personalities would lie about that because someone would bust them out.

Then that Fauci person keeps saying that x-millions of people have the virus, and I'd like to know where he's getting those figures from. He has no possible way of knowing that unless everyone in the US gets tested.

mitzi

And to me he's the most full of chit out of all of them. He keeps throwing out these numbers that he has no way of knowing, and focusing on absolute doom worst case scenarios that smack so hard of fear mongering propaganda they make me grit my teeth. Who even is he and why is he the "expert"?

I also don't like his face. He has this little smirk going on and seems to be enjoying the media attention a bit too much. He comes across as a Nazi propagandist, not a true source of information.

To me he's Dr. Phil. Dr. Oz. All these "doctors" who are more celebrities and media personalities than anything else.

Look up his background. He's not Dr. Oz or Dr Phil (who holds no medical license). I would think with his background he knows what he's talking about.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Look up his background. He's not Dr. Oz or Dr Phil (who holds no medical license). I would think with his background he knows what he's talking about.

No doubt he's a real doctor, but how do we know he's telling us the truth?

I know fact certain he's lying when he gives stats because he has no way of knowing that information. So - and this is a real question - knowing already that he's lying to me, why should I trust him?

mitzi

Stop giving factual information....

I'm fascinated by this. Why is it bothering you (and Hank) to learn this information? And why are you begging LR to stop when you could simply not read or put him on ignore? Do you not want other people to have this information? Why not?

These are real questions. I'm fascinated by this facet of human behavior and would like to learn more.

My human behavior thought he was directing it to me, that why I told him to stop (I didn't "beg"). Am I supposed to believe the information LR posts or the information Dr. Fauci says. I'm torn here.

mitzi

No doubt he's a real doctor, but how do we know he's telling us the truth?

I know fact certain he's lying when he gives stats because he has no way of knowing that information. So - and this is a real question - knowing already that he's lying to me, why should I trust him?

Why trust what any of them say? Everyone trusted everything that came out of Trump's mouth and was "Go Trump" until this crisis. This is what I don't understand.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
My human behavior thought he was directing it to me, that why I told him to stop (I didn't "beg"). Am I supposed to believe the information LR posts or the information Dr. Fauci says. I'm torn here.

You can look up the information LR is posting on any medical website, or google phrases to get the news articles. He is merely repeating it, he didn't make it up.

Fauci, as far as I can tell, is making it up as he goes along. His guesstimates of how many people are infected with the virus are blatant lies because he has no way of knowing that. If he were honest, he would publicly crunch the numbers for those who can't or won't do it themselves, because they are some low inconsequential figures.

US (population 330,000,000+-) stats:

200,000+- confirmed cases, or .6% of the population. Not 6%, but .6% as in slightly more than 1/2 of 1%.

4,380 deaths, or 2.2% of all cases and .001% of the population.

So far, statistically, nobody has died of this thing in the US. I could go on and mention that an average of 3,500 people in the US die in a traffic accident every month, along with a few other things that are far more likely to kill us, but you get my point.

The numbers aren't there to support this reaction. Fauci keeps saying we could reach (insert big scary number here) infections, but doesn't like to also mention that very few of those infected will die.

You don't have to believe me, or LR, or anyone. You can crunch those numbers for yourself. And in the meantime, our economy has been devastated, people have lost their jobs, and small businesses have closed up shop most likely for good.

Oh yeah, and we're under orders to remain in our homes unless we have express permission from the government to leave it.

For me the number of deaths isn't worth this destruction of our livelihoods and our rights as American citizens. YMMV.

wubbles

We should be looking at the "low" infection rate as a positive due to the drastic measures we've taken to curb it. The number would be exponentially lower if we didn't wait a few weeks to react.

mitzi

You can look up the information LR is posting on any medical website, or google phrases to get the news articles. He is merely repeating it, he didn't make it up.

Fauci, as far as I can tell, is making it up as he goes along. His guesstimates of how many people are infected with the virus are blatant lies because he has no way of knowing that. If he were honest, he would publicly crunch the numbers for those who can't or won't do it themselves, because they are some low inconsequential figures.

US (population 330,000,000+-) stats:

200,000+- confirmed cases, or .6% of the population. Not 6%, but .6% as in slightly more than 1/2 of 1%.

4,380 deaths, or 2.2% of all cases and .001% of the population.

So far, statistically, nobody has died of this thing in the US. I could go on and mention that an average of 3,500 people in the US die in a traffic accident every month, along with a few other things that are far more likely to kill us, but you get my point.

The numbers aren't there to support this reaction. Fauci keeps saying we could reach (insert big scary number here) infections, but doesn't like to also mention that very few of those infected will die.

You don't have to believe me, or LR, or anyone. You can crunch those numbers for yourself. And in the meantime, our economy has been devastated, people have lost their jobs, and small businesses have closed up shop most likely for good.

Oh yeah, and we're under orders to remain in our homes unless we have express permission from the government to leave it.

For me the number of deaths isn't worth this destruction of our livelihoods and our rights as American citizens. YMMV.

I never thought LR was making it up.
I'm not on a crusade to defend Fauci. There's so much information thrown at us, I'm not sure who to believe. I'm leaning towards who seems the most reputable and has decades of knowledge and studies with infectious diseases. I'm going to leave it at that.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We should be looking at the "low" infection rate as a positive due to the drastic measures we've taken to curb it. The number would be exponentially lower if we didn't wait a few weeks to react.

But you don't know that and there is no data to support it.

Currently they're saying that cases are starting to flatten out because of martial law quarantines....while everyone and their dog is out mixing it up with thousands of people a day at the grocery store, c-store, Walmart, work, etc etc.

I'll bet not one person on this forum (or in this country) has been truly quarantining themselves, without having any kind of contact with a single other person for 14 days.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm leaning towards who seems the most reputable and has decades of knowledge and studies with infectious diseases.

But why, when you have common sense? You don't need Fauci or me or LR or anyone to run the numbers for you. You're smart and can do that. You don't need us to look up the data for you.

That's the question I've had all along. Why are you going along with something that defies logic?

mitzi

But why, when you have common sense? You don't need Fauci or me or LR or anyone to run the numbers for you. You're smart and can do that. You don't need us to look up the data for you.

That's the question I've had all along. Why are you going along with something that defies logic?

Honestly, because I believe the physicians and scientists have more knowledge and are way smarter than I am.

Hank

my war
Honestly, because I believe the physicians and scientists have more knowledge and are way smarter than I am.

People give population numbers to "soften the blow"... Look at the mortality rate (which keeps rising)... That is what is important, the rate at which people are dying.

According to the Worldometer statistics (which are consistent with those compiled by Johns Hopkins University), the U.S. mortality rate has surged to 2.16 percent (4,099 deaths out of 189,711 reported cases as of this morning). Last week, it was about 1.5 percent. The U.S. rate is still less than half of the global rate of 5 percent (44,214 deaths out of 885,301 reported cases)

Just ten days ago, the daily rate was hovering over 1 percent. Yesterday, it was 3.29 percent as deaths hit a record daily high of 912 (well over 300 more than on any previous day), as new cases swelled to 24,742. The numbers have been getting worse all week, with just one day (March 29) slightly under 2 percent, and most others well over it (2.70 and 2.75 percent on, respectively, March 28 and 30).