MD learners permit process

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
So my brother tries to get his stepson (one of them will never leave the nest 20yr olds) a MD learners permit. They go to MVA with his birth certificate, military dependent ID and a cell phone bill in his name at their current Waldorf address. Not good enough, last name is different, they want a MD tax form to show he’s a dependent. They go back with taxes to show he’s dependent, not good enough, he has different last name from mother, they want a bank statement. Go back for 3rd time to show his mother remarried 3 times and present an electronic bank statement. Still not good enough, now they want a W2. Just give them a list approved forms of ID/proof of residency instead of the run around. Back for a 4th time next weekend.

I just told them to say he’s an illegal alien (he is of Mexican descent) and they’d roll out the red carpet, skip the permit right to a driver’s license and a gift basket full of entitlements. Glad my brother has the patients to deal with them, I surely don’t.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I swear that sometimes they do that as sport....I can imagine them all back in the break room, laffing their arses off "LOL!!...I tripped that one up for the third time...going for four!" :howlsoflaughterallaround:

Chris0nllyn

The Virginia DMV is no better.

Try going there asking for a simple piece of paper (Proof of Inspection after the truck was re-built) and they try and get you to pay taxes on the sale price. I was there for 4 hours arguing with this woman, and her manager.

I mentioned over and over I'm from MD and it wasn't until they saw my license did it click that I was a MD resident.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I learned the hard way while swapping my NE DL for a MD one years ago. You must tell them the whole situation, leave out no detail no matter how small. Ask them specifically what you need in order to complete your task and ask the name of the person who is instructing you. That way when you go in and they tell you, no, you need some other thing, you'll know who to yell at.

What's amusing is that when I had to replace my DL and car title after the burglary, it took all of a half hour with zero paperwork and zero hassle. So go figure that one out.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I learned the hard way while swapping my NE DL for a MD one years ago. You must tell them the whole situation, leave out no detail no matter how small. Ask them specifically what you need in order to complete your task and ask the name of the person who is instructing you. That way when you go in and they tell you, no, you need some other thing, you'll know who to yell at.

What's amusing is that when I had to replace my DL and car title after the burglary, it took all of a half hour with zero paperwork and zero hassle. So go figure that one out.

:crazy: It took me 3 separate tries to change my license to MD when I moved here. Another 3 tries to register my SUV here too. All in all, 8 seperate calls to the MVA, maybe 7 trips to the Loveville office, 4 1/2 months, and $700 later I could finally call myself a resident of Maryland.

After all that finally commenced I realized I no longer wanted to be a resident in a state like this :doh:

H

Hodr

When I moved here, round 7 years ago, the ID process seemed crazy but the clerks were quick to help.

I might be a bit unclear on the order of things, but more or less the following happened. I needed two local forms of ID to prove residence, and I had just moved here the day before so I only had the copy of my rental agreement, no utility bills.

They ended up sending me the other lane (without having to re-wait in line) to register my vehicle, which apparently you can do without an MD license, then use the vehicle registration as the second form of ID/proof of residency.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It's only been a fairly short while ago that the laws or rules were amended to supposedly tighten up the ID requirements...so that made a marginal situation just plain bad unless you are one of those lucky enough to have all the right documentation with all names and addresses matching right off the go.

MMDad

Lem Putt
The list of documentation needed is on the web site. I found it to be pretty easy, but I also had everything they needed on hand and filled out when I arrived.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
The list of documentation needed is on the web site. I found it to be pretty easy, but I also had everything they needed on hand and filled out when I arrived.

I did too. I was obsessed with all their stupid lists and forms. Every time I knew I'd have to stop by the MVA I'd call first and explain what I was doing, what I had in hand, etc. to triple check I wouldn't be turned away...and every time I'd show up and something in my hands was "wrong" ... "whoever I talked to on the phone must not know...". Ridiculous. Also, my car was still under co-ownership with my father and they kept trying to say he had to be the one to bring in all the papers. No...he lives in CT. We're mutual owners. One person would be ok with his faxed copy of a driver's license, another would not. It was completely inconsistent. and infuriating.

Vince

So my brother tries to get his stepson (one of them will never leave the nest 20yr olds) a MD learners permit. They go to MVA with his birth certificate, military dependent ID and a cell phone bill in his name at their current Waldorf address. Not good enough, last name is different, they want a MD tax form to show he’s a dependent. They go back with taxes to show he’s dependent, not good enough, he has different last name from mother, they want a bank statement. Go back for 3rd time to show his mother remarried 3 times and present an electronic bank statement. Still not good enough, now they want a W2. Just give them a list approved forms of ID/proof of residency instead of the run around. Back for a 4th time next weekend.

I just told them to say he’s an illegal alien (he is of Mexican descent) and they’d roll out the red carpet, skip the permit right to a driver’s license and a gift basket full of entitlements. Glad my brother has the patients to deal with them, I surely don’t.
:yeahthat:

awpitt

Main Streeter

Yea. I took my youngest for his learners last month. Just looked up required docs on the MVA Website. Went to Loveville was out in about 30 minutes. The new thing is that they don't issue the permit/license on the spot anymore. You have to wait for it in the mail.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Yep..eezy peezy..as long as you do not have one single "anomaly" that trips the entire process up as the OP related. Then life at the MVA becomes hell on earth.

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
My husband tried to switch his license from GA to MD about 20 years ago. Called got the info he needed. Got the run around that it wasn't the correct paperwork, etc. The third visit he walked in with a box full of papers with his name on it. He preceded to explain this is his third visit and here's a box of papers. She was more than welcome to dig through them and find what they needed.

beamher

So my brother tries to get his stepson (one of them will never leave the nest 20yr olds) a MD learners permit..

Is it the 20yo...if so, interesting. my 18 went this week on his own, with no problem. Gave him his birth certificate, SS card and told him to take his I.D. with him.

If he's under age then thats where the problem is; parent has to sign (there is a form online for some type of authorization if they cant be present).

Just wait till it's official driving time and test time. Eldest spawn got his learners a year ago. He finally had a break in his schedule where he could take Driver's Ed beginning of last month. When I registered him for class, I then tried to register him for the test on MVA's website. No tests available until July. Problem with that is he leaves Saturday morning for his summer job and won't be home again until August 1 and then he turns around and leaves again that night for a conference in Michigan for the week. Driving portion of Driver's Ed is scheduled for the following Mon & Wed and the driving test for Thursday.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Is it the 20yo...if so, interesting. my 18 went this week on his own, with no problem. Gave him his birth certificate, SS card and told him to take his I.D. with him.

If he's under age then thats where the problem is; parent has to sign (there is a form online for some type of authorization if they cant be present).

The stepson is 20. He finally got it with the same paperwork they have been bringing. Seams each agent at the MVA goes by their own rules...