MD. needs to cut 1.1 billion dollars

abcxyz

One isn't forced to join a union but they are forced to pay for the union (see Communications Workers v. Beck, Ellis v. Railway Clerks, Abood v. Detroit of Education).

If unions are so great, why isn't it voluntary to join and/or pay for them?

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
One isn't forced to join a union but they are forced to pay for the union (see Communications Workers v. Beck, Ellis v. Railway Clerks, Abood v. Detroit of Education).

If unions are so great, why isn't it voluntary to join and/or pay for them?

I wasn't forced to pay for the union I didn't join when I worked at a grocery store.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
.... The chart speaks for itself.

Attachments

• right to work state.jpg
    right to work state.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 243

BigBlue

Just think of the actual deficit the State would have if they hand't sloughed off a lot of that debt to the Counties.
Things such as Teacher pensions.

LOL , that's it eff teachers , eff education,eff the children in this state and then morons like yourself bitch about them and why there such dumbass's ,like yourself .:bonk::shutup:

BigBlue

You are not correct.... all this changed when they were given the ability (by law) to charge a service fee.

http://dbm.maryland.gov/employees/Pages/ServiceFee.aspx

What if I do not want to pay union dues or service fees because I choose not to be a member of the union?

If you do not wish to pay union dues but you are a member of a bargaining unit with the exception of Bargaining Unit I, represented by State Law Enforcement Officers’ Labor Alliance (SLEOLA), you may make known your objection to paying fees that support non-representational (or union member-only) activities known as non-chargeable expenses. This is known as a “political objection” and, once properly filed, will require you to pay only for representational activities, such as: negotiation and administration of memoranda of understanding (MOUs) and the handling of grievances or other disputes on behalf of bargaining unit members.

Objecting non-members also may challenge the computation of the service fee within 30 days after receipt of the Service Fee Notice. See the applicable MOU for more details on disputes and challenges to the calculation of chargeable expenses.

For more information on the Unit G process, see the Fair Share Notice at: MPEC
For more information on the Unit E process, see AFT Healthcare Fair Share and Objector Notice at: AFT
For more information on the Unit A, B, C, D, F, and H process, see the Hudson Notice at: AFSCME

^^As you can see, it isn't easy to get away from being charged the fee or some substitute form of the fee.

Did you benefit from that barging unit ?Did your pay increase's come from negotiations that included some of the other employees, did your sick time or vacation time,did your paid Holidays ,did your retirement , did your security in your job come from any way shape or form from the bargaining unit that represented the other employees that are covered ?

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
LOL , that's it eff teachers , eff education,eff the children in this state and then morons like yourself bitch about them and why there such dumbass's ,like yourself .:bonk::shutup:

Do you have to work at being this stupid, or does it just come naturally to you? You REALLY think all union jobs are teachers? You need to get out of the ghetto more often.

BigBlue

Where did I say they were forced to join a Union?

Did I hurt your little Union feeling?
........not mine but if you read what a nonunion group says ...it might hurt yours.This is a good read .

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/pros-cons-union-jobs-1.aspx
The pros and cons of union jobs
By Larry Keller • Bankrate.com
Crowd of people commuting
Highlights
Workers with union jobs can only be terminated for "just cause."
A union worker who has more seniority may receive preference for an open job.
Union dues can range from $200 to several hundred dollars per year.

Thanks to labor unions, wages have improved, the workweek is shorter and the workplace is safer.

However, employers sometimes complain that unions are harmful to business and to the economy. From an employee standpoint, is being a union member beneficial? Here are some pros and cons of union jobs.

The pros of belonging to a union
Better wages. The median weekly income of full-time wage and salary workers who were union members in 2010 was $917, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. For nonunion workers, it was $717.

More access to benefits. Some 93 percent of unionized workers were entitled to medical benefits compared to 69 percent of their nonunion peers, according to the National Compensation Survey published last year by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. The survey represented about 101 million private industry workers and 19 million state and local government employees

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/finance/personal-finance/pros-cons-union-jobs-1.aspx#ixzz3T8WgX7Ca
Follow us: @Bankrate on Twitter | Bankrate on Facebook:killingme

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Did you benefit from that barging unit ?Did your pay increase's come from negotiations that included some of the other employees, did your sick time or vacation time,did your paid Holidays ,did your retirement , did your security in your job come from any way shape or form from the bargaining unit that represented the other employees that are covered ?

I went over this already in past postings... if you back up and read, you will see that. When the union came in, they took what was written in the Annotated Code of Maryland for their employees and turn it into a contract which provided the same holidays, sick/vacation time, grievance process and how seniority was to be handled. Since the union, pension contributions have increased significantly without any increase in the final amount one can expect in a monthly check upon retiring.

Like I previously state, I used to be a strong union supporter but I have rethought my position on unions being involved in the government sector over the past decade. Now after the long 10-year observation, I now feel that it isn't a good idea because their presence has caused the union to climb in bed with the government (the union doesn't want to loose fair share) and that has hurt the employees and the economy (as far as job growth) in Maryland.

Now teachers better watch themselves with all the complaining they do.... because I think society might welcome "internet" type education program like Virtual learning which is doing well in various charter schools in Hawaii. 60% of each dollar collected in MD taxes goes to education and they cry all the time for more. When is enough, enough?

PeoplesElbow

When I worked at a grocery store I did not benefit from the union, worked 15-20 hrs a week making minimum wage, first six weeks had to pay $5 initiation fee in addition to the $25/month. This was huge to a guy that made $5.25/hr working less than 20 hrs a week.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Unions battle for survival in key strongholds as court cases challenge forced dues

THERE IS A VIDEO THAT AUTOMATICALLY PLAYS ON THIS LINK SO PAUSE IT QUICKLY IF NEEDED.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/04/06/union-stronghold-forced-dues/

Another article on dues going to political candidates.... Exactly what I have been complaining about.

But the vast campaign AFSCME spending, the federal reports show, was overshadowed by tens of millions of dollars in contributions to progressive advocacy groups including Planned Parenthood Action Fund, the Center for American Progress and National Council of La Raza, the Illegal immigrant advocacy group.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...n-2014-mostly-to-democrats/?intcmp=latestnews

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Very simple. If you did not join the union, you are not a member. Your service fee does not make you a union member.

I don't work for AFSCME and never have. I was a member (not paid) of the bargaining team last year that got you the following:

3% cola 1-1-2014
step increase 4-1-2014
step increase 7-1-2014 (or 1-1-2015 for about half, depending on EOD)
2% cola 1-1-2015
+
4 service reduction recovery days
4 additional insurance holidays (pay periods with no health insurance deductions)

Granted that is all after 6 years of nothing but pay cuts and freezes. But the initial offer from the administration was 0 and that is what you would have received in 2014 if not for collective bargaining.

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then question the manner in which I provide it. I prefer you said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand to post. Either way, I don’t give a damn what you think you are entitled to!” [Jack Nicholson, as Colonel Jessup]

So, in a free society you should be able to say, NO, I don't want to pay them to represent me.. I can represent myself. It's all about choice, and I was surprised many years ago that there were states out there like this.. if you want a job You WILL pay for the services Unions provide.. whether you want to or not.

No wonder all the heads of Unions are rich, while most of their membership is dwindling and unemployed..