MD Political Parties

TCROW

Deuvegur’s Law (sp?) states that you should have 2 candidates for one seat to ensure plurality in the outcome.

I agree with someone up thread who questioned the need for parties at all. I'd say there's no need for more than two.

Instead what we need are ideas. Justin Amash is an (R) but brings a good libertarian (note lower case ell) grace note to the table. He keeps a low profile nationally and is making his constituents happy. He explains every single one of his votes on social media. The son of Syrian immigrants I believe.

Contrast Amash with Gary Johnson and Ron Paul to a certain extent. They were ridiculed as caricatures of a libertarian framework. Both were quirky to be sure. I believe Ron Paul was controlled opposition. He had good ideas and terrible ideas. But although his district sent him to the House for several terms and was presumably happy with him, I don't think he brought much fresh thinking to the Zeitgeist. I think he's famous for not sponsoring much legislation, which some might say, "great! less government in my life." But unless you're bringing game-changing ideas to bear to change the direction of the political right, your efforts are lost. Rand Paul is an enigma. He's OK on some stuff, but leaves you wondering why on others. Overall, I give him a C- as a libertarian Republican.

I think the Libertarian Party (uppercase) misses the mark in two main points: it seems to be largely heavily populated with disaffected former Republicans who quite frankly are not bringing fresh ideas on how to govern to the table, much less to bear. And second is really the notion that only two parties should exist, so no LP. There are only libertarian ideas going forward. Bring them to the Democrat Party or bring them to the Republican Party. But bring them. Bring energy and ideas like Amash into government and change it.

It should start at the local and state level and work the ideas into the federal levels. Amash started at the state legislature level and moved up. If the 17th Amendment could be repealed, then there is a change to get liberty-minded representation in the Senate to actually represent the state since they'd go back to being appointed by the Governor. This is the prime seat to hold.

So yes, two parties and two parties period. I think we can now see that more than two are just not working out for us.

But I have absolute no doubt the same people who mock Libertarians here on these forums would mock libertarian-minded candidates to the point of preventing them from infesting their Republican Party. Just like Board Mommy prevents any reasonable discourse on ideas here.

Bottom line, not enough Americans want freedom, or knowing and understanding the value of the individual as the smallest minority group of them all. Just look how libertarian-minded commenters like Chris are mocked into oblivion. Mocked by those who are parroting the same dumb memes you see all over the internet that stereotype libertarians as pot heads and cop haters and whatever their dumb programmers tell them define a libertarian. And by the Board Mommy no less! You know, the "MODERATOR". Even funnier, she is exactly what she mocks on here, she's programmed. This classical psychological projection. Textbook.

:lmao:

Chris0nllyn

Isn't that scary? It is to me.

They got 10,000 signatures in a state with almost 4 million registred voters.

Here's what the LP has to say about it.

“On January 22, the Maryland Libertarian Party asked a U.S. District Court to prevent the state from printing up new registration cards that omit the Libertarian Party as a choice, at least until the main issue in the party’s lawsuit is settled.

“The party went off the ballot in November 2018 because it didn’t poll 1% for Governor. However, the party has over 20,000 registered members.

“The lawsuit argues that the ballot retention law, as applied to a party in its position, is unconstitutional. The state says the party needs a petition of 10,000 signatures in order to get back on the ballot, but the party argues that it is not rational for the state to require the party to submit 10,000 signatures, when it is obvious that there are more than 10,000 voters in Maryland who want the party on the ballot.

“Clearly if a party has over 20,000 registered members, any petition to show that 10,000 voters want the party on the ballot is redundant.”

The case is Johnston v Lamone, 1:18cv-3988.