MD Tax Increase

blacklabman

The MD Democrats continue to push to raise our taxes. They want to increase the sales tax by 20%. This increase would also apply to motor vehicles.

Whether they suceed or not, remember them when you go to the polls in November. I will!

B

Bruzilla

That's another reason I've decided to move to Florida. No state, county, or city taxes. :biggrin:

SamSpade

They keep making the claim that people are FOR the tax increase when they hear "it will go for education".

Right. And the tolls on the roads go for improvement of the roads.

:rolleyes:

Why do they always need MORE of our money? Every year they get more of it. Could it just be, they're spending too much of it trying to do things they don't need to do, and wasting too much of it?

One of the reasons I've never trusted a national sales tax or a flat tax is, it would be way too easy to just ratchet it up a notch and say "it's for the *CHILDREN*". Like I *believe* them.

D

darkriver4362

I don't know why everyones suprised, we're one of the highest taxed states in the nation.

blacklabman

According to that state tax ranking site, I do 5 times the per capita for MD. I guess that includes income, sales, and property taxes. This is a single person household. And don't give that BS about the ability to pay. A household should be taxed according to the potential impact on the community. I propose negative exemptions and negative child credits for more than two.

SamSpade

That chart is meaningless, for comparison sake. Washington state has no state income tax, yet somehow, it ranks number 13.
Might it include high property taxes? It doesn't tell the picture.

Ditto Alaska. NO state income tax. But it actually ranks 34th. What gives there? Cost of living? Who knows?

The reason why it's meaningless is, if you have a state like *DELAWARE*, which has the highest per capita number of millionaires, you'll see a high average tax bite. But it doesn't give you a clue as to how YOU will be taxed, should you move there. According to THAT chart, it's #2. But that's mainly because it has a high concentration of rich. It says nothing.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Originally posted by blacklabman
A household should be taxed according to the potential impact on the community.

Yeah, that will happen, try getting reelected if you pass that law.

That chart obviously includes sundry taxes such as auto/property/sales/etc. There are also columns that show taxes as a percentage of income.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Sam, it has both as percentage of personal income and as per capita. You can compare numbers.

It is total tax roles.

It will be off since some taxes are applied to specific users, etc... but it is not a bad gauge.

You think you all are crying about taxes. I am moving THERE from TEXAS. Please, have some pity for me. :frown: I will now have a state income tax. Of course, your property tax is about 40% of what ours is and your sales tax is about 60% of what ours is.

Still, the tax bill will be higher overall. I need to even it out a bit and buy a home before I am there more than 18 months. :biggrin:

Hessian

Living in Democratic states?

Looks like a number of these are paying more than the national 6.1% average. (Remember the red & blue states from the 2000 election?)

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Of course, Sam. I said its a good gauge and that you can compare numbers. For the average joe who doesn't want to understand as much as those educated in the area, its a good guide. You can't tell me it doesn't point people into a general direction of the differences.

I am more then aware of statistical analysis and sources of information. I didn't say its 100% accurate and you should stick to it. However, it is a good guide. If people want accuracy, just look up the states treasury site and check what taxes apply to you.

:wink:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
And don't forget that the 20% increase in sales tax will change it from the current 5 cents on a dollar to 6 cents. Is it that big of a raise concidering that we have to fix some of the problems of how we have over-extended the budget.

Wasn't this "News" a couple of weeks ago?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Ken...

....there's that stat thing again.

20% sounds HORRIBLE.

Is it that big of a raise concidering that we have to fix some of the problems of how we have over-extended the budget.

5 to 6 cents is...pennies!

I think it'll pass.

Anyone know what that penny is expected to bring per year?

These guys, state Dems, will do ANYTHING before they give Ehlrich a victory on what he ran on and won on; slots.

Imagine the precedent if they are expected to do what they said they'd do!?

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Sales tax is the easiest tax to raise and pass. It is because it is collected in minimal amounts and is really not as seen by the consumer. No one sits and checks their receipts and says, "Damnit! I paid $2.76 in tax at Walmart today!"

Its an unobtrusive tax where the citizen has no administrative cost (in paperwork or otherwise), sees it in small increments, and really does not pay attention to its bottomline.

So, yes, it most states needing to face up to fiscal responsibility with budget problems, the state sales tax is easy to pass. In Texas ours is 8.25% with local and state together (ours is not applied to grocery food items or certain medications -- we also have a tax holiday for a weekend before school starts).

However, the tax is extremely regressive and places the burden on lower incomes over higher (which is countered by removing food items and such to exempt status). Which is why its odd to see Democrats pushing it when they always say they believe the rich should pay more. :wink:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Oh no you don't...

However, the tax is extremely regressive and places the burden on lower incomes over higher

The sales tax is FLAT out 5% for EVERYBODY.

We don't fall for terms like 'regressive' around here. It is one of those insidious terms that get distorted to excuse outright stealing via 'progessive' tax rates.

A sales tax is simply fair. It will ALWAYS be X% of a purchase, rich or poor. There is NO penalty for making more or less.

I understand your question about Democrats but you do something else we don't do around here...

Which is why its odd to see Democrats pushing it when they always say they believe the rich should pay more

...pretend they care.

They could care less WHERE it comes from. If it's easy to stick it to the poor (a minority), cigarettes, sales tax, then fine. Easier to stick it to the rich (another minority) fine.

See a pattern here? That's why dems like things like "Democracy" where they can abuse minorities and they don't like things that protect individual rights. They like groups. And groups battling each other until it's time to go get George W. Bush. Then they make a big group!

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Hey, I am all against Dems, but denying the sales tax as regressive is silly. Its great to be conservative, as am I. However, it doesn't mean I have to deny the truth to further my own conservative wishes.

There is not mathematical or statiscal way you can show that the sales tax does not put a higher burden on lower incomes then higher incomes. As for Democrats not caring, I can more then accept that. I just put my reasons for being a conservative into logic instead of a simple bias though. I was pointing out their logical flaw.

hwyman3

I always get concerned when our elected officials use the term "For Education." For those who were either alive or lived in Maryland when we passed the lottery, the proceeds were to go to education. That was a joke, unless Camden Yards and M & T Bank (Ravens) Stadiums are for education. That's where the lottery money goes now. Lottery proceeds also built a stadium for Cal Rypken and they have even talked about using lottery proceeds to build a baseball stadium in Hughsville.

True, the Democrats in the State Legislature will do everything in their power to deny Ehrilch any victory, but let's not forget the reason he was elected. The voters of Maryland spoke loud and clear in 2002 that we are tired of the Tax and Spend mentality in Annapolis that gave us the $1 Billion deficit.

For those who favor raising taxes, I have a simple question. If you received a tax refund this year, did you cash the check or did you tell the government they need it more. Now if you owed taxes this year, as I did, did you write a check for the amount you owed or did you write a bigger check then you owed?

When it comes to cut taxes, these elected officials always say the government can't afford it. Of course they never bother to ask when they want to raise taxes if the citizens can afford it.

Maybe it's time the Democrats in Annapolis learn what unemployment really is.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Tex...

Sorry. We disagree. I think describing a tax that is paid equally by all as 'regressive' gives it a negative conotation which ends up getting used as ammunition justifying truly unfair tax policies like 'progressive' rates.

It's like saying the price of a Big Mac is 'regressive' because it costs person X a higher percentage of his money than Donald Trump.

"Regressive" is mere statistical fodder. Shall we argue that a person making minimum wage should pay less sales tax than a person making minimum plus $.25 because it's regressive on the first person? $.50 more? A dollar? Where is it suddenly 'unregressive' or any more fair than the simplicity of 5 or 6% for all citizens?

Progressive rates, charging a person a higher percentage tax on a dollar earned is a penalty on achievment. It is illogical, unfair and...silly.