MD Youth Deer Hunt

MDindef

The MD Youth Deer Hunt is this Saturday. Those of you that have property, consider letting a licensed youth hunter harvest a deer. It would be the experience of a lifetime for the lucky kid.

I'll be taking my 13-year old out this Saturday morning. I have done my best to teach him good hunting ethics and good marksmanship. I hope he gets a chance to get his first deer.

Anyone else involved with the youth hunt this weekend?

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by MDindef
Anyone else involved with the youth hunt this weekend?

Naw, I don't have any of them youth left on my homestead. We hunted them to extinction several years ago.

J

justhangn

They could always come borrow Sharon's Suburban, I hear it's a fair shot at deer. :cool:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: MD Youth Deer Hunt

Originally posted by Ken King
Naw, I don't have any of them youth left on my homestead. We hunted them to extinction several years ago.
:lmao: Good one Ken!!! :lmao:

SmallTown

Football season!
Probably the safest hunting day out there..

I would rather take my chances with a kid with a slightly quick trigger finger than a bunch of drunks aiming and saying "uhh, looks like a deer.." [BANG] "Oh shoot, sorry steve.."

J

justhangn

Originally posted by SmallTown
Probably the safest hunting day out there..

I would rather take my chances with a kid with a slightly quick trigger finger than a bunch of drunks aiming and saying "uhh, looks like a deer.." [BANG] "Oh shoot, sorry steve.."

One of my pet peeves is the hunting advertisements at all of the joints that sell beer and the like.

BUT, that's St. Marys fer ya.

MDindef

Here's an update:

My boy got his first deer this weekend. It was a 124# buck. He was overjoyed, and I was happy for him.

J

justhangn

Here's an update:

My boy got his first deer this weekend. It was a 124# buck. He was overjoyed, and I was happy for him.

:cheers: to your kid!

Jameo

What?!
Here's an update:

WOW!! Congratulations to your son!:clap: What kinda of rack did he have? Is he gonna get him mounted?

J

justhangn

Originally posted by Jameo
WOW!! Congratulations to your son!:clap: What kinda of rack did he have? Is he gonna get him mounted?

Of just holding hands.....since it's going in the living room. :smile:

MDindef

In answer to your question, a very modest rack...3 points with a kicker point. I am planning on doing a rack-mount for him though. It was quite an experience to be there with him.

Jameo

What?!
In answer to your question, a very modest rack...3 points with a kicker point. I am planning on doing a rack-mount for him though. It was quite an experience to be there with him.

That is something your and your son will remember forever! I got my first deer last year with my boyfriend. It's was great and I'm very glad he was right by my side to share every second of it with me! Again Congratulations to the both of you!

You guys going after some honkers this week? Geese is my fav to hunt, just watching them pitch in to the decoys is AWESOME!

MDindef

Probably won't go after the geese. I don't know if I mentioned, but I can't hit a barn with a shotgun. I can, however, hit a quarter with a varmit rifle at 100 yds. (Well, at least come close to it!)

Bottom line for me right now:

1 solid projectile = good shot (shotgun slug, rifle, or muzzleloader)

Any shotshell at a target with wings = bad shot ( I need lots of practice!)

The boy and I will probably go after deer again! Gotta get stocked up enough to last until next year!