Dept of Environment MDE Offers Array of Activities During Radon Gas Awareness Month

newsBot

Automated News Bot
Staff member
MDE Offers Array of Activities During Radon Gas Awareness Month

Outreach Events, Billboards, Web Posts, Discounted Test Kits Emphasize Radon Education

BALTIMORE (January 10, 2022) — January is Radon Gas Awareness Month and the Maryland Department of the Environment’s Radiological Health Program has an array of activities planned to educate state residents about the dangers of the poisonous gas and the need to test their residences for its presence.

“Radon is the leading cause of lung cancer among non-smokers,” Environment Secretary Ben Grumbles said. “It’s important for people to test their homes now, in the coldest time of the year, when radon levels can build to unhealthy levels when doors and windows are kept closed. But the other times of the year can produce some elevated test results also.”

MDE’s radon test kit link is receiving wide circulation this month with posts on the websites of the Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development, American Lung Association, and Maryland Association of County Health Directors. The websites of Howard, Frederick, Dorchester, Allegany, Caroline, Carroll, Somerset, Talbot and Washington counties also will post the test kit link. MDE has ordered 1,000 additional test kits for sale at the discounted price of $3 and they can be ordered at https://drhomeair.fmbetterforms.com/#/maryland-discount.

Two educational outreach events, in which radon educational materials will be available, will be held at the Eldersburg Library in Carroll County on Wednesday, Jan.12 from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m., and at the Lowes store in Frederick on Saturday, Jan. 15 from 9 a.m. until noon.

Selected billboards in Baltimore City and Baltimore, Howard, Carroll and Frederick counties will have radon awareness messaging through Jan. 30. Advertisements will run in the Frederick News-Post newspaper and be placed on its website during January.

MDE’s radon homepage has an ad display emphasizing the importance of radon testing in residences and the agency’s Facebook page will have radon trivia each Tuesday and offer the chance for readers to win prizes. To read Gov. Larry Hogan’s proclamation, click here.

Radon gas, formed by the decay of uranium in the soil, is colorless and odorless. Studies in recent years show that nearly three of every 10 Maryland homes have interior air over the recommended radon action limit of four picocuries per liter. An additional nearly 20% of homes are at risk with levels between 2-4 picocuries per liter.

# # #

gemma_rae

This is just about it. I'm ready to slap the bald off Larry's fat head.

I don't have time for radon hysteria this month. I've got snow removal, doctors appointments, covid testing, omicron, influenza vaccination, tax returns, work, insurrections, limp erections, vaginal itch, car insurance, auto repairs, flatulence, dry skin, brittle nails, an eye examination, and a dental appointment to be hysterical about.

Screw Calgon... Xanax take me away!

Radon can suck an egg.

Grumpy

I don't have time for radon hysteria this month. I've got snow removal, doctors appointments, covid testing, omicron, influenza vaccination, tax returns, work, insurrections, limp erections, vaginal itch, car insurance, auto repairs, flatulence, dry skin, brittle nails, an eye examination, and a dental appointment to be hysterical about.

Radon can suck an egg.
Does this mean you aren't participating in the Radon 2022 parade next week in Annapolis?

Editor

somd.com Editor
Staff member
PREMO Member
Patron
Just ordered my test kit. Have wanted to do the test for the past 20 years.

gemma_rae

Here's my theme music.

Isotope soap, isotope soap
Washed my hands, now I have to grope with
Washed my ear, I couldn't hear for a year with

Washed my hair, now my head is bare with
Washed my head, now my mind is dead with

Washed my dick, now my babies are sick with
Took a swim in the park, now I glow in the dark with

TPD

the poor dad

Radon can suck an egg.
You forgot about your car warranty that just expired...

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Just ordered my test kit. Have wanted to do the test for the past 20 years.

When I did plumbing work in the early 90's I was in a house in Takoma Park, where the owner had bored a hole in the slab in the basement, run a 4 inch PVC Pipe from the hole to the outside of the house through a suction fan ...

I asked what is the for ?

To remove the RADON that comes up through the ground and gets trapped under the slab, and slowly leaks into his basement ?

:twitch:

Ah ok ..

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Don't Fear Radon Concerns At Home; They're Overblown

There is fear circulating about the risk of lung cancer due to inhaled radon gas, as a result of the widespread publicity given to studies that link lung cancer incidence to radon concentration using a "linear no-threshold" (LNT) model. This model which many scientists say is baseless and should be scrapped predicts an alarming excess of cancers, even at low radon levels.

Little publicity, however, has been given to the studies that actually measured home radon levels and examined the lung cancer incidence of the residents. And that should change.

Dr. Jerry M. Cuttler, a radiation expert and advisor to the American Council on Science and Health, has co-authored a paper entitled "Threshold for Radon-Induced Lung Cancer From Inhaled Plutonium Data," along with Charles L. Sanders. It was recently published in the journal Dose-Response. Dr. Cuttler points out that measured radon levels and cancer outcomes document, in fact, a significant decrease below the natural incidence of lung cancer. These observations contradict the predictions made using the LNT dose-response model.

In their article, the authors outline a rather complex series of calculations to demonstrate how the unscientific LNT dogma, established during the early years of the nuclear age, is. And it's been etched in stone, as it were, by the "radiation protection industry" and its official agency, the International Commission on Radiological Protection (ICRP), since the 1950s. Why?