MDOT Treats Southern Md. ‘Like a Toilet’

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Patron
State lawmakers and local officials from Southern Maryland served notice on Thursday that they intend to launch a full court press to bring commuter rail to Charles, Calvert and St. Mary’s counties — even if it means raiding transportation funds already earmarked for projects in other parts of the state.

The officials were led by Sen. Arthur Ellis (D-Charles), who has introduced legislation that would provide $27 million to jump-start light rail service along the MD Route 5 corridor.

“This project is number 36 on their list of 38 priorities. They’re telling us to drop dead,” said Ellis, banging the desk for emphasis. “The worst commute in the nation, on average two hours a day, one way, and the state of Maryland is ignoring that.”
Big transportation programs take many years to come to fruition and they aren't cheap. And in a state like Maryland with one major city and bordering on the nation's capitol, those areas are money pits.

stgislander

Big transportation programs take many years to come to fruition and they aren't cheap. And in a state like Maryland with one major city and bordering on the nation's capitol, those areas are money pits.
I can think of two bridges in SoMD that should be higher priority than light rail.

Goldenhawk

Methinks they're hoping to expand the inner-city bedrooms further away from DC, thus creating even more liberal "give me free money" voters and taking away the conservative-voting majority in SoMD.

Or maybe I'm just being cynical.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't have a lot of experience with mass transit, but it seems that the only difference between driving is that you don't have to sit behind the wheel. It takes as long, if not longer, because they make so may stops and travel so slow. Plus you still have to get yourself to/from the station at each end and then wait for the train/bus to show up.

I was researching long haul train travel (Amtrak) and the travel time is many times that of flying and often times even slower than driving.

frequentflier

happy to be living
The TJ bridge has been put on the back burner for too long. I get frequent nixle alerts for accidents and cars broken down. Traffic comes to a stand still for sometimes hours at a time. And then you get the idiot a couple days ago that lost a ladder at the top of the bridge (heard it on the scanner).

Not to mention that the bridge is old and was never meant to handle the traffic it gets daily.

BernieP

Resident PIA
(DC doesn't NEED more employees. We need to make the Washington political establishment far smaller, not larger.)
grow up, there are a lot of people commuting into DC that work at the Navy Yard, the Pentagon etc. Reliable, affordable, mass transit is something they would love. The bus is limited.

But it's not going to happen. I'd say first there is not a big enough pool of passengers for the government to subsidize both rail and bus.
Infastructure still has to be built, light or not. Equipment has to be purchased and frankly there is little in the way of "right of way" left to purchase in the corridor. Do able, yes. Practical, no. High cost would be the main reason.

I can think of two bridges in SoMD that should be higher priority than light rail.
This I think we can all agree on. We have the by products of the "Smart Growth" program to deal with as well.
Calvert has Prince Frederick, Waldorf in Charles and St. Mary's has 235 north and south of the base.
Smart Growth said no new roads, put all new construction in "town center" blah blah blah. Guess what, you have a traffic jam.
In all three cases no way around those traffic jams. One problem on 235 can gridlock the entire county because the intersection of GM RD and RT 5 can't handle the traffic. You want to see it happen, wait until may next week. Schools decide to let out early because of snow and you will have buses, parents and regular daytime traffic on the road at the same time.

Rt 4 and the bridge are another story. One mishap on that road, particularly the bridge and it gridlocks 235 as well.

officeguy

Rather than a light-rail boondoggle, what this area needs is a 'busway' from about Mattawoman Beantown to Branch Ave metro. Separate ROW, automatically access controlled so it doesn't get clogged up by all the cops who think the law doesn't apply to them.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Rather than a light-rail boondoggle, what this area needs is a 'busway' from about Mattawoman Beantown to Branch Ave metro. Separate ROW, automatically access controlled so it doesn't get clogged up by all the cops who think the law doesn't apply to them.
I'm thinking from Carol's to the National Air and Space..

BernieP

Resident PIA
LOL
I think you would have better luck with a rail line.
I think this idea of bus lanes was kicked around here before.
The corridor is already screwed up, can't see how they would get bus lanes in and then keep them clear with all the cross streets.
Never under estimate the power of people who think they are "special" to hose things up.

glhs837

Power with Control
I don't have a lot of experience with mass transit, but it seems that the only difference between driving is that you don't have to sit behind the wheel. It takes as long, if not longer, because they make so may stops and travel so slow. Plus you still have to get yourself to/from the station at each end and then wait for the train/bus to show up.

I was researching long haul train travel (Amtrak) and the travel time is many times that of flying and often times even slower than driving.

I always do the math for taking the train to MA or say FL (auto train) and it never makes any damn sense.

I always thought how great it would be to run a maglev or newer tech project from DC to the base, using elevated lines over the center of 235, showcase our engineering talents.

Then the reality of those thoughts settled in.... I remember what the roads under the "EL" in Queens NY were like, dirty, smelly, attracting a less desirable residency... and as easy as it would be for us to get to DC would be how easy it would be for the less desirable DC crowd to come here.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I always do the math for taking the train to MA or say FL (auto train) and it never makes any damn sense.
Buddy of mine. a naval arch in Annapolis, used the auto train to Miami and back so he could take his Harley down there where we were building some boats. I wanted to do that too..instead of a rental car.

glhs837

Power with Control
Buddy of mine. a naval arch in Annapolis, used the auto train to Miami and back so he could take his Harley down there where we were building some boats. I wanted to do that too..instead of a rental car.

Yeah, I would ride or drive before using the train. Have to get to the station in Lorton by like 230pm the day of, dont leave until 4pm, takes like 14 or more hours to get there. Another hour and 30 minutes maybe to get your ride off the train in Sanford. All told you are looking at 18 and a half hours to get there, and I think the cost is like $1,000 dollars round trip. Takes a bit over 12 hours to get there driving. You could stop and take a rest in a nice hotel for six hours, get a massage and a nap and still be better off.