MDUI fraud - who's surprised?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
While some legit Marylanders are still waiting for their unemployment benefits to kick in, there's this:

Maryland officials have uncovered a “massive criminal enterprise” involving over 47,500 fraudulent claims totaling over $501 million, leading to a broader investigation, Gov. Larry Hogan said Wednesday.

<snip>

Last week, Marylanders faced a new hurdle trying to collect unemployment insurance.

Some people were given benefits, only to have them suddenly canceled due to fraud concerns, according to officials.

GregV814

Look!!! Somebody had to pay for the BLM/Antifa thugs hotel rooms, fast food, drugs and pudgy little girls to aid and support the cause!!!! Money doesn’t grow on trees!!!!
So, stick it to da man with privilege!

Scat

While some legit Marylanders are still waiting for their unemployment benefits to kick in, there's this:

Maryland officials have uncovered a “massive criminal enterprise” involving over 47,500 fraudulent claims totaling over $501 million, leading to a broader investigation, Gov. Larry Hogan said Wednesday.

<snip>

Last week, Marylanders faced a new hurdle trying to collect unemployment insurance.

Some people were given benefits, only to have them suddenly canceled due to fraud concerns, according to officials.
Why bother to steal credit cards and drivers licenses if you cant cash in on it?

Hijinx

I don't quite understand why we are paying out of state unemployment anyway?
I am sure someone can explain it.

DaSDGuy

I don't quite understand why we are paying out of state unemployment anyway?
I am sure someone can explain it.
Last line of the article: "Officials said the majority of these cases are for people who recently moved out of state but were told to file for unemployment in Maryland."

Maryland was their state of record for their last employment. Since the requirement to search for a new job was lifted during the pandemic it doesn't really matter where you live anymore. That is, until the benefit time period runs out.