Mechanic needed for side work...

Pegster710

The Pegster
OK - I need some help here. I'm a single mom and have a 16 yo daughter who just got her license in October. We have a 92 Chevy Cavalier and a 90 Olds Ciara that she was driving. Now, the Cavalier needs a head gasket and brake work - I have the parts. My ex- BF was supposed to fix it, but never did. The Olds is parked because it has something going on in the rear when braking. She needs transportation to and from school and work...

Here's my dilemma - I have tax money now to get them fixed. I'd prefer to get a "back yard" mechanic who'd be willing to work on these older cars when needed - without gouging the pocketbook. Can any of you point me to someone who does mechanic work on the side? I have a garage they can work out of if that's an issue... They'd need their own tools, though...

Help!! :flowers:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Pegster710 said:
The Olds is parked because it has something going on in the rear when braking.
On a lot of cars, the rear brakes are adjusted when you set your parking brake. You can prevent having "something going on in the rear" bu using your parking brake every time you park.
I'll PM you the name of a guy I use.

Pegster710

The Pegster
aps45819 said:
On a lot of cars, the rear brakes are adjusted when you set your parking brake. You can prevent having "something going on in the rear" bu using your parking brake every time you park.
I'll PM you the name of a guy I use.

Yep - I use mine all the time - taught my kids to use it, too. The issue with the Olds might be the wheel cylinders - I know they were on the list when we checked the car out (with the ex-BF). When you brake, it kind of feels like there's a "rumble" - almost like the back doesn't want to stop... But the brakes worked fine - it just felt wierd... It's very hard to describe... Didn't want her driving it, in any event...

The Cavalier brakes, on the other hand, need some kind of brass washer on the brake line - my nephew replaced the brake line and it's still leaking. He "can't remember" if the washer was on there or not, he "thinks" it was... lol! He's a teen and is just learning how to work on things - but he's definitely a worker. Maybe, if your recommendation decides to take me on as a customer, my nephew can be a pair of hands for him and learn a few things!

:lol:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The washer is an easy fix on the Cav, anyone who can use a wrench should be able to do that and bleed the system for you. The other sounds like you might have a bearing going if it is otherwise working fine.

Pegster710

The Pegster
Ken King said:
The washer is an easy fix on the Cav, anyone who can use a wrench should be able to do that and bleed the system for you. The other sounds like you might have a bearing going if it is otherwise working fine.

Thank you! I can use a wrench, but I know I couldn't fix it without a little more muscle and a lot of guidance!! :lol:

Yeah, I think you're right on the ailments... Any recommendations on a mechanic who does "side work"? I got one recommendation already, but may need more if he declines...

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
There is one guy I use a lot (when I can't or don't want to do it myself) but I think he is in Daytona setting up a top-fuel Harley for the upcoming bike week.

snuzzy

O.K., I think I PMed you on a good/reliable mechanic, check your PM's and let me know if it was received. (I'm new to this technology!)

Pegster710

The Pegster
Ken King said:
There is one guy I use a lot (when I can't or don't want to do it myself) but I think he is in Daytona setting up a top-fuel Harley for the upcoming bike week.

Ooohhhh!! Bike week!!