Mechanic scam?

CRHS89

An elderly relative took her car into a mechanic shop for an issue she was having (not in this area). When she went to pick it up, they told her that the handle had broken off on the driver's door and they replaced it. They charged her $200+ to replace it and said they didn't charge her labor for it. Since it broke off with them and was not damaged before taking it in, was it still her responsibility since it is her car or should it have been theirs since it broke while they had it? I feel like they should have covered the cost. What are your thoughts?

black dog

Free America
Seems to me its no different than her car falling off of a lift or the mechanic driving her car into another car while in their care.
I would have called her and told her we damaged her car and it will be repaired at no cost to her,
and it will be done today.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Seems to me its no different than her car falling off of a lift or the mechanic driving her car into another car while in their care.
I would have called her and told her we damaged her car and it will be repaired at no cost to her,
and it will be done today.
What about this?

black dog

Free America
What about this?
What about it?
Another one of your silly I GOT YOU BLACK DOG MOMENTS.....

Moron oil change man starts jeep with stepping on clutch peddle while pushing starter button, he lets out clutch and jeep jumps forward. Doing what its supposed to do when one lets the clutch peddle go when the manual transmission is in a forward gear.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are, what kind of vehicle and was it an interior or exterior handle. I just bought a friend an interior handle and it was only $19.00. I'm thinking someone got raked over the coals.

CRHS89

My thoughts are, what kind of vehicle and was it an interior or exterior handle. I just bought a friend an interior handle and it was only $19.00. I'm thinking someone got raked over the coals.
Outside handle to a mid 90s Chrysler...can't remember the the exact kind.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Outside handle to a mid 90s Chrysler...can't remember the the exact kind.
Well, for a 93-97 Chrysler Concorde, LHS, or New Yorker (they all used the same) can be had for less than $90 from Autozone, cheaper if you can wait a couple days for RockAuto. And if it is a Sebring the handle goes for $20. So, I think $200 for parts only is BS.

CRHS89

Well, for a 93-97 Chrysler Concorde, LHS, or New Yorker (they all used the same) can be had for less than $90 from Autozone, cheaper if you can wait a couple days for RockAuto. And if it is a Sebring the handle goes for $20. So, I think $200 for parts only is BS.
I think it is a concorde. Nice to know they ripped her off that much. But they gave her a deal by not charging labor. :sarcasm:

Kinnakeet

An elderly relative took her car into a mechanic shop for an issue she was having (not in this area). When she went to pick it up, they told her that the handle had broken off on the driver's door and they replaced it. They charged her $200+ to replace it and said they didn't charge her labor for it. Since it broke off with them and was not damaged before taking it in, was it still her responsibility since it is her car or should it have been theirs since it broke while they had it? I feel like they should have covered the cost. What are your thoughts?
How in the world did the door handle break off

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I think it was probably done by an inexperienced "grease monkey" not paying proper attention to what they were doing.

I took my Jetta to Southern Tire Charlotte Hall for inspection when I bought it. It went right through, so I decided to get an oil change since I had no record of the last one. The VW diesels have a funky oil filter housing. Luckily the O-ring gasket developed a small leak and I had to pull it apart and check it. That's when I noticed the filter was crushed inside the housing and not actually filtering. Things like this happen, when the least experienced guys do the oil changes.

Kinnakeet

I think it was probably done by an inexperienced "grease monkey" not paying proper attention to what they were doing.

I took my Jetta to Southern Tire Charlotte Hall for inspection when I bought it. It went right through, so I decided to get an oil change since I had no record of the last one. The VW diesels have a funky oil filter housing. Luckily the O-ring gasket developed a small leak and I had to pull it apart and check it. That's when I noticed the filter was crushed inside the housing and not actually filtering. Things like this happen, when the least experienced guys do the oil changes.
Isnt that the truth