Mechanicsville this morning?

lilredhearts

does any one know why they closed down 235 from mech rd up a ways? I did see a car next to 711 with a trap over it but it really didnt look like an accident if so i have no clue how the car got where it was ...... and it would of been a one car accident .. anyway anyone know?

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
UPDATED 1:06PM: POLICE REPORT:
On June 17, 2011 at approximately 5:46 am patrol units from the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office responded for the report of a serious motor vehicle accident on Route 5 Southbound just south of Hill's Club Road. Patrol units arrived to find members of the Mechanicsville Volunteer Rescue Squad and Fire Department already on the scene. Investigation revealed a 2011 Hyundai Sonata, operated by Heather Rae Woy, 61 of Summerville, South Carolina had been traveling Northbound in the Southbound lanes of Route. 5. Mrs. Woy's vehicle then reportedly completed a u-turn in the middle of Route 5. As Mrs. Woy's vehicle entered the roadway from the Southbound shoulder, crossed over lane # 2 and made a left turn towards the parking lot of the 7-11 and was struck in the driver's door by a 1999 Ford F-150, operated by Thomas Edward Adams Jr., 19 of LaPlata, Maryland traveling Southbound in lane # 1. Mrs. Woy succumbed to her injuries sustained in the crash. The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office Collision Reconstruction Team responded to the scene and assumed the investigation. Alcohol and speed do not appear to be contributing factors in the crash. Anyone who may have witnessed the collision is asked to contact the primary crash investigator Corporal Doug Mills of the Traffic Safety Unit at (301)863-4816 Ext. 1456

Sweet 16

^^8^^

What is the speed limit through there? Drops down to either 45 or 35?

I don't think that matters much in this case. If you turn into the path of an oncoming car, whether they're going 55 or 35 it's going to cause some serious damage. I feel bad for the kid.

mmesser0

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!
She wasn't from around here and I'm guessing she was just unfamiliar with the traffic pattern and freaked out.

I get it. But how do you not see traffic coming? You can see down route 5 right there to see what's coming at you for a while.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I get it. But how do you not see traffic coming? You can see down route 5 right there to see what's coming at you for a while.

Don't know, I wasn't there. How do people pull out in front of motorcycles or change lanes into somebody?

John Z

if you will

What is the speed limit through there? Drops down to either 45 or 35?

45 mph in that area.

Saw the scene at about 6 am. Truck still stuck into car, tarp already on top of the car. Sad; I could tell at that moment the car's driver must have passed away.:frown:

2lazy2P

nothing unreal exists
I feel sorry for the young kid in the pickup as much as the lady that passed away. He will forever quesiton himself wondering what he could have done different. Of course this was just a freak accident.

belvak

Happy Camper
Several years ago, daughter and I were headed south on 5 through there and met a car coming straight at us. I was in the right lane, and the other driver was in the left lane. They realized what they were doing and made a quick right into the parking lot near the bank, so I can easily see someone from out of town getting confused. Especially if they didn't know they were turning onto a dual lane highway. My thoughts and prayers to all involved.

BTW, has anyone ever noticed the sign on the transmission place there? If you see it in your rearview mirror as you drive though heading south, it says something like, "if you can read this, you're going the wrong way!" I wonder if she saw that sign just around the time she was "making a right into 7-Eleven", swung the U-Turn to head the right way, then crossed in front of the truck while trying to get into 7-Eleven? Whatever happened, how sad...

kalmd

I used to work at the Burchmart there many years ago and people and I saw people pull on in the wrong direction more than a few times.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
At 6am in the morning...not necessarily. Might not have been able to see.

Doesn't matter if she couldn't see or if she was from out of town, who the hell makes a U-turn in the middle of the highway?!? Pull onto the shoulder and into a parking lot or driveway and get yourself headed in the right direction! She won't make that mistake again. I just hope the kid is alright.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
I believe it's on Rte 5 (235?) heading south towards the Sotterly turnoff. You're in the southbound lanes and you see a RED WRONG WAY sign looking at you. I'm not familiar with route numbers yet, but I can get around and find my way.

The roads and signage leave much to be desired.

Prayers for all of us.

Last edited:

Manolo

so sad.

On friday my BF saw 1 car accident around 300 ish at mechanicsville rd and on our way out that night around 600 we aw another one at floral corner and on our way home we saw something going on at mechanicsville rd.

busy day for the FD and police

Last edited: