Medic alert devices for the elderly

Lilypad

Do you have any experience with medic alert devices for the elderly-you know the "I've fallen and I can't get up" thingys or do you know of anyone who has one?
I've Googled and checked companies w/BBB but would appreciate some inside info or recommendations.
TIA!:high5:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
We got one of those devices for my mom, and it seemed to work well when we tested it out. However, it only worked when she wore it, which was n-e-v-e-r. :ohwell:

J

jp2854

We got one of those devices for my mom, and it seemed to work well when we tested it out. However, it only worked when she wore it, which was n-e-v-e-r. :ohwell:

We had the same problem with my stepfathers dad. we got him life alert but he refused to wear the band. one day he did fall and nobody knew it til the next morning when my stepfathers sister came over and found him on the floor unable to get up.

I ordered the Life Station for a friend of mine; she has had it for a year now and has had to use it 4 times. She lives in LP and it works great. If she pushes the button, her base station asks if you need help, if she doesn’t push the button on the base station within a minute or two the base station triggers the alarm in her room and also notifies the police. The alarm in her room is very loud, the neighbors will hear it. The police try to call him/her, if no one answers the phone the paramedics and police are dispatched out. Life Station will also notify whoever you delegate to be contacted in an emergency. She uses the necklace but you can also use it as a wristband, they have many different options for your home and the cost is minimal, the plan I have is only $29 a month.
They do have to wear the necklace or wristband but if that might be a problem for them they also have a life station 911 phone that might work for you.

Here is their website: LifeStation Medical Alert System Pricing Plans

Lilypad

shell belle-
Thanks, I have sent for a brochure. My main question is-does the person have to have a land line in order to have one of these systems-with folks moving toward tracfones, would this work?

I think you do have to have a landline but I am not quite sure. The 911 Phone wasn't available when I purchased this system, the phone is probably for people who don't use landline phones and/or for people who need assistance even outside of the house. Customer Service would be able to give you all of the information for that.

officeguy

ADT offers such a system as well.

Personal Emergency Response System-ADT

I have no experience with that particular system, I just have them for burglar alarms. Their response to the alarm when we had an actual breakin was very fast (fast enough for the sheriffs dept. to actually catch the guy).

For an additional fee, the system can connect through a cell-phone transmitter instead of a landline (wouldn't work with a trac-phone, they basically install a hardwired cellphone module with the system).

musiclady

whatever you buy, periodically check the battery. My grandfather had a lifeline wristband for a year, when he fell, the battery was dead. He was on the floor for 4 hours before anyone heard his yells.