Memory flake

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
All of a sudden, my computer tells me my paging file is set too low when it boots up. When I go in to try and boost the virtual memory, it looks good to me, but I boost it up a few mbs anyway. But it's still giving me the warning when I boot up.

What should it be and why would it do this all of a sudden? I'll be working along and all of a sudden a warning will come up that my virtual memory is too low and I can't run certain programs or tasks.

J

justhangn

check the size of your registery........then get a GOOD anti-virus and anti-SPAMware software and check your machine.

:cheers:

Danzig

OP System?
RAM?
What is paging file set at now? And what was it when you got the first error?

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Check your task list to see if you have weird programs or spy crap running ... I got that message a couple times b/c of all the memory being eaten up by that crap that was running and I didn't know about it.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Win 2k
512 mb RAM
Paging system set at 1000 mb, was 20 mb
Nothing weird running in my tasks or processes
Virus scan says A-OK

What bad thing will happen to me if I delete the paging file and make a new one?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
vraiblonde said:
Win 2k
512 mb RAM
Paging system set at 1000 mb, was 20 mb
Nothing weird running in my tasks or processes
Virus scan says A-OK

What bad thing will happen to me if I delete the paging file and make a new one?

You caught a virus!!

I just got the same thing last week.. had to go through my registry line by line and deleted about 200 lines.. did MSCONFIG and went through my startup files.. LOT of crap there I didn't know about..

Tried a registry cleaner, and it missed 75% of the crap that I found.. Still debating re-formatting and re-installing WIndows.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
vraiblonde said:
All of a sudden, my computer tells me my paging file is set too low when it boots up. When I go in to try and boost the virtual memory, it looks good to me, but I boost it up a few mbs anyway. But it's still giving me the warning when I boot up.

What should it be and why would it do this all of a sudden? I'll be working along and all of a sudden a warning will come up that my virtual memory is too low and I can't run certain programs or tasks.
Have you done any of those online surveys, like.. What kind of animal are you? or What kind of personality do you have? a LOT of those sites download ad/spy ware with the survey. Clicking on links in e-mail will do it too.. like the 3.5% mortgage.. or VRAI, MAKE YOUR PENIS BIGGER.. (you REALLY shouldn't click on those)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
itsbob said:
You caught a virus!!
My virus protection is supposed to prevent websites from giving me the clap. :ohwell:

Sounds like it's new computer time! :getdown: I am DEFINITELY not going through my registry or startup - I don't know what half of that crap is and would most certainly delete the wrong things. Well, I could probably do the statup file, but NOT the whole registry.

:yikes:

vraiblonde said:
I am DEFINITELY not going through my registry or startup - I don't know what half of that crap is and would most certainly delete the wrong things. Well, I could probably do the statup file, but NOT the whole registry.
The free spyware cleaner from Adware will clean your registry for you...:yay:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I use both AdAware and SpyBot. What one might miss, the other will catch. But I find that I have to run both of these programs every morning, or my computer really slows down quite a bit.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
kwillia said:
The free spyware cleaner from Adware will clean your registry for you...:yay:
Um...not all true true, you will still have to go into HIKEY_localhost, and HIKEY_currentuser to manually delete the .exe files. But when you virus scan, and find a spyware, you have to make note of the EXACT name of the executable, and turn off any background registry backup aps, so you don't inadvertantly reinstall when you reboot. With XP you have to go into the registry under safemode. It's a PITA. I thought somd.com was installing it's own version of spyware? :lol:
Glad you're having troubles, :lol: makes ME feel better.

FWIW, i was getting weird stuff (photoshop/fireworks shutoff immediately upon launch, stuff like that), and turns out my user ID was corrupted. Once i created a new user, and logged in using it, everything seemed OK. I'm using WinXP

Danzig

I would look at the first link and if it seems like it's set right I would get AdAware and SpyBot Search and Destroy and UPDATE them.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
PS do a cntrl/alt/delete and look at the processes running, to see what's using up all the RAM using Task Manager.