Men Cannot Win

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
How It Feels Being a 'Vanilla' Man in Bed

As kink positivity has become mainstream, so too has the idea that if you’re not into kink, you’re a boring shag. This attitude, which can veer into shaming, is clear across social media, where phrases like “choke me”, “step on my neck” and “please run me over” have become totally casual ways of saying you fancy someone. On the other end of the spectrum, “just say you're vanilla and boring and go” is now an insult.

[clip]

With this in mind, some men are increasingly wary of overstepping during sex, but also feel pressure not to be perceived as boring compared to what seems to be becoming the new norm. Striking this balance is partly why Ben likes to keep things vanilla at first, especially with new partners, where he says it can take time to work out what is fantasy and reality.

“It’s happened before where we’ve met up and I’ve not been sure how hard she wanted me to choke her if she asks for that during sex, or if she’s as into that as she was over messages,” he says. “You might be taking it too far, or not far enough. You don’t want to overstep, or bore her. It can be distracting!”

Understandably, kink makes some men nervous – particularly if they feel there’s an expectation for them to take the lead, or else their masculinity gets called into question. But this type of emasculation isn’t just happening in bedrooms, or in group chats where sexual encounters are gleefully unpacked with friends moments after they end. It’s being displayed publicly on social media too.1

Brad, 26, feels like there’s a double standard at play when it comes to how sex with men is discussed on social media, which makes him feel self-conscious.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Never had a problem. When you're with someone long enough, you learn through reaction, what they enjoy and how far to take it. I never was into one night stands or even casual sex. Call me a prude, but those who I've been with never would. If you take something that's almost spiritual and reduce it to physical, you'll never know true satisfaction and happiness.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am not positive that weirdos on Twitter are the social standard for anything, let alone sexual practices. You don't step into the asylum and go, "Wow, these people are totally normal."

That's the problem with wrapping yourself around the internet and not having any real life human friends/associates: it jacks with your perception of reality.