Men, you're ugly. - Women. 80 percent of men are below average in looks according to women

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
When I think average, above average & below average, I put average at around 50%. Then use a bell curve with a 33%, 66% splits for the various categories.

Think in terms of this:
xNormalDistribution.JPG.pagespeed.ic.4kZix2j_Qx.jpg

The bulk of the men would fall around just short of average to slightly above average. The other 33% are divided between the much better looking and the extremely unsightly guys. Just 2.5% would be considered mega attractive or what ever word they are using to describe the best looking males.

It's easy to skew results. What if North American women were only shown pictures of Syrian refugee males? Might that affect how attractive they viewed those men?

It's been a while since I took classes on this but if I recall correctly in this example the findings would be invalid. What would happen is the the qualifier for attractive would need to shift to include more until distribution more closely resembles the chart above.

SamSpade

When I think average, above average & below average, I put average at around 50%. Then use a bell curve with a 33%, 66% splits for the various categories.

Think in terms of this:
xNormalDistribution.JPG.pagespeed.ic.4kZix2j_Qx.jpg

The bulk of the men would fall around just short of average to slightly above average. The other 33% are divided between the much better looking and the extremely unsightly guys. Just 2.5% would be considered mega attractive or what ever word they are using to describe the best looking males.

It's easy to skew results. What if North American women were only shown pictures of Syrian refugee males? Might that affect how attractive they viewed those men?

It's been a while since I took classes on this but if I recall correctly in this example the findings would be invalid. What would happen is the the qualifier for attractive would need to shift to include more until distribution more closely resembles the chart above.

Your assumption however, is that beauty in males follows a normal distribution.
This survey would suggest otherwise.

You did touch on a few things, though. One is, we don't know if the pictures shown were an adequate representation of ANY population.
What if they were all engineers from some top nerd school? (Sorry - but to be fair, that would describe ME).

But beauty is a subjective thing. I happen to think ALL chihuahuas are ugly, and pics of every one of them on the planet
would not induce me to say ANY of them were attractive - but my daughters would greatly disagree with me.

I have been to nations where I thought most of the women were gorgeous - but that almost all of the men were - NOT.
More than once I muttered under my breath - life is SO unfair.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Let me get this straight, the majority of men are below average, from a statistical point of view that makes no sense.

SamSpade

Let me get this straight, the majority of men are below average, from a statistical point of view that makes no sense.
Sure it does.
Remember that “average “ is a value derived from the sum value of all participants divided by their number. It ONLY equals a 50% threshold when it is a NORMAL distribution.

Example: Take ten guys and one of them is Bill Gates. “Average “ wealth is several millions but NINE of those ten are “below average “.

The survey makes sense if the men at the high end are few in number but extremely high in value. What the women are saying is men are 1% Brad Pitt and 99% Steve Buscemi.

SamSpade

I never understood the fascination with Brad Pitt.
It’s been 25 years since the likes of Legends of the Fall and A River Runs through It.

He’s certainly aged a lot better than James Spader. My daughter couldn’t believe the guy from Pretty in Pink was the same one from The Blacklist.

I’m still amused by this study. If true then it’s probably true that if women found most men attractive this world would be even more overpopulated than it is now.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Sure it does.
Remember that “average “ is a value derived from the sum value of all participants divided by their number. It ONLY equals a 50% threshold when it is a NORMAL distribution.

Example: Take ten guys and one of them is Bill Gates. “Average “ wealth is several millions but NINE of those ten are “below average “.

The survey makes sense if the men at the high end are few in number but extremely high in value. What the women are saying is men are 1% Brad Pitt and 99% Steve Buscemi.
Mean, or Mode, but the median is skewed