Mental Health/Drug Rehab Centers

kk2187

:howdy: I'm looking for insight into mental health treatment facilities. If anyone has had any success with any facility in particular, please share.

I don't know if I talk to the health department or social services to find places? There are SO many that come up when you search for them. It's overwhelming. I've never had to deal with this before and if any of you have, I'd appreciate some guidance.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
:howdy: I'm looking for insight into mental health treatment facilities. If anyone has had any success with any facility in particular, please share.

I don't know if I talk to the health department or social services to find places? There are SO many that come up when you search for them. It's overwhelming. I've never had to deal with this before and if any of you have, I'd appreciate some guidance.

Hi kk..
Huge question with many huge answers...as with any health issue, physical or mental, there are many options.

Feel free to PM me...

Good luck on your journey!

Last edited:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
When I worked in the mental health unit at the hospital, we worked with Walden quite a bit. But what matters the most, unfortunately, is whether the person who needs the services has health insurance or not. If they do, and have mental health coverage, it is a little easier to navigate because then an appt can be made with a local counselor/social worker, and from there they can help find the best place that is covered.

If not (which is more often the case, unfortunately) it can be a little harder to find appropriate care. Walden is noce because their hotline is 24/7 and they can help you find all of the community resources you need.

Contact Walden Sierra Crisis Intervention Addiction Trauma Counseling Maryland | Walden Behavioral Health

The best place really depends on the actual problem. So, if you call and chat with them, it is a safe and confidential place to discuss what's going on and the best way to help.

I am going through something similar with a loved one of mine and all around it is tough. But there are things you can do, and help to be had. good luck :buddies:

kk2187

When I worked in the mental health unit at the hospital, we worked with Walden quite a bit. But what matters the most, unfortunately, is whether the person who needs the services has health insurance or not. If they do, and have mental health coverage, it is a little easier to navigate because then an appt can be made with a local counselor/social worker, and from there they can help find the best place that is covered.

If not (which is more often the case, unfortunately) it can be a little harder to find appropriate care. Walden is noce because their hotline is 24/7 and they can help you find all of the community resources you need.

Contact Walden Sierra Crisis Intervention Addiction Trauma Counseling Maryland | Walden Behavioral Health

The best place really depends on the actual problem. So, if you call and chat with them, it is a safe and confidential place to discuss what's going on and the best way to help.

I am going through something similar with a loved one of mine and all around it is tough. But there are things you can do, and help to be had. good luck :buddies:
Thanks, good luck to you as well. I'll give them a call, and I've also found a place in Havre de Grace that looks promising and will be giving them a call to see if it's the right fit tonight when my Dad gets home.

Your Family Physician may be able to help also. So why not start there.?

I left a message for him to call yesterday and no reply. He's not my favorite person right now as he's essentially helping her in a bad way.

SoMDGirl42

It's been my experience in trying to assist someone very close to me with a severe alcohol problem, that unless you are uber rich, even with health insurance, you can't afford the help you need.

Sorry, just a little pissed off at the way things are. Either you don't work and we the tax payers pay time and time again to help clean up your welfare a$$ only for you to go back to the crack pipe, or you have a job and can't afford the help you need, even when you really want it.

WITH insurance, it was more than 2K a month for in-patient treatment which is what he needs. I don't know many that can afford that.

Katelin

A lot of people have gotten and stayed clean and sober without rehab.
Just have to be willing and have family support.
AA works and works well, is free and is all over the place.

Sometimes medical intervention is needed to prevent the withdrawal that may come when one stops cold turkey. But most withdrawal lasts about 3 days.

Sadly, with the many combinations of drugs/alcohol that people are using and addicted to, withdrawal and hospilization is a must to soften the effects of the withdrawal.

The hard part of recovery is to treat the problem that is causing the person to drink/drug.
Alcohol is but a symptom. Get rid of the booze, and the problem can be evaluated and treated.

SoMDGirl42

A lot of people have gotten and stayed clean and sober without rehab.
Just have to be willing and have family support.
AA works and works well, is free and is all over the place.

Sometimes medical intervention is needed to prevent the withdrawal that may come when one stops cold turkey. But most withdrawal lasts about 3 days.

Sadly, with the many combinations of drugs/alcohol that people are using and addicted to, withdrawal and hospilization is a must to soften the effects of the withdrawal.

The hard part of recovery is to treat the problem that is causing the person to drink/drug.
Alcohol is but a symptom. Get rid of the booze, and the problem can be evaluated and treated.

To soften the effects of the withdrawl? Seriously????

:smack: Stick with animals. DTs are often fatal for those that go "cold turkey"

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer

Actually, that is fairly rare, and almost exclusively with alcoholics. Most other drugs can be safely detoxed from with very little intervention..it sucks for them, but is rarely if ever harmful.

In fact, I am against the use of medical intervention into most uncomplicated detoxes. (alcohol is different. DT's isn't just a name for withdrawel, its a specific thing that happens to certain alcoholics and is itself dangerous) But most addicts are able to detox just fine and are often given drugs to help make it more comfortable. I think that's a bad tact to take, they should feel how freakin bad it sucks to detox, so they won't start again. Plus, giving drugs to an addict has never sat well with me.

I used to HATE the DT'ing alkies at the hospital. You had to watch them like a hawk, they kept begging for drugs and I had to take their BP constantly. ugh. Then you'd see the same one back two weeks later to start all over again.

SoMDGirl42

Actually, that is fairly rare, and almost exclusively with alcoholics. Most other drugs can be safely detoxed from with very little intervention..it sucks for them, but is rarely if ever harmful.

In fact, I am against the use of medical intervention into most uncomplicated detoxes. (alcohol is different. DT's isn't just a name for withdrawel, its a specific thing that happens to certain alcoholics and is itself dangerous) But most addicts are able to detox just fine and are often given drugs to help make it more comfortable. I think that's a bad tact to take, they should feel how freakin bad it sucks to detox, so they won't start again. Plus, giving drugs to an addict has never sat well with me.

I used to HATE the DT'ing alkies at the hospital. You had to watch them like a hawk, they kept begging for drugs and I had to take their BP constantly. ugh. Then you'd see the same one back two weeks later to start all over again.
Drugs are different. My post quoted her post, in which she was referring to alcoholics.

DTs are not a pretty sight.

Katelin

Yea..soften...

Medical treatment does not STOP the withdrawal symptoms. The drugs used in withdrawal soften the effects of the bodies physical and chemical withdrawal and support the cellular recovery off of the addictive substance.

You can not take a magic pill that will make withdrawal stop..it has to go thru a process..and that process and the painful efects are SOFTENED medically.

Yes, withdrawal can be fatal, but in very rare situations.
often times there are medical conditions in addition to the addiction.
These must be medically managed while withdrawal occures.

You cant just drink a beer and piss it away..that beer has to go thru a long and involved process before your body finishes with it and expells it from your body.

I sure do wish I still had the ability to leave "somebody has grouchy pants on" tag in a couple of threads this afternoon....:tantrum

Katelin

Very well said!!! I couldn't agree with anymore!

The revolving door syndrome is such a problem today with the poly-drug abuse/addictions.

Esp. in the winter time, addicts coming in off the street, looking for free treatment, and after 90 days for free food and shelter and psy.drugs, go back out to the streets and use..and come back in the winter. Very common.