Merchant of Shame Award

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Tonio

Does anyone know why almost all the Calvert and Anne Arundel stations are higher than in Charles and St. Mary's?
I have no idea, but I haven't bought gas in Calvert for months.

pilot

Chuckster:

Thanks for posting the info about Walmart. I only shop there when I absolutely have to. The thing that gets me about a lot of the big chains is when they come into an area, lower their prices to kill local competition, and then as soon as the local places go out of business, they jack up their prices again!

ltowngrrl

Wal-Mart

I can't stand Wal-Mart, but not for the reasons specified in the original post. Wal-Mart's aisles are too narrow, it's always too crowded (because there's nowhere else to go since everyone else went out of business!!!), and it's just plain ugly in there. I'm not looking for a gourmet experience there--don't get me wrong--it's just that overall, it makes shopping so miserable, I'd rather go somewhere else.

As for NOW's complaints about their insurance not covering birth control or the morning after pill? Wal-Mart's management is not a philanthropy. It's a business. And they don't have to make provisions (which cost money) that they don't agree with. While I can respect an employer that does opt to cover it, I also can respect a different point of view. It's ridiculous to EXPECT a benefit like that. If it was offered, I'd be thankful that it was offered at all. Those NOW people have entitlement issues. Yeah, Wal-Mart stinks, but it has NOTHING to do with their policies on some pill you really want to take. Where the hell do they get off? OC's are cheap, and if you're going to insist on a designer brand that you can't afford, maybe you should lower your standards. I mean, it's Wal-Mart, folks!

ltowngrrl

gas prices

Does anyone know why almost all the Calvert and Anne Arundel stations are higher than in Charles and St. Mary's?

I've always noticed that the closer you are to a metro area, the more you pay. I used to commute to Vienna from L-town, and always got my gas down here since gas was 20-40 cents more up there.

K

Kain99

Welp... I'd respond but it sounds like you already understand the difference. the closer to the city you get... the higher the prices. :frown:

SmallTown

Football season!
THe prices in St. Marys use to be pretty high as well, until sheetz came in.. I think prices dropped around 20 cents per gallon when they opened.. Funny.. None of the stations have gone out of business, so there was really no justification for the high prices except for one.. they could do it.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Re: gas prices

Originally posted by ltowngrrl

I've always noticed that the closer you are to a metro area, the more you pay. I used to commute to Vienna from L-town, and always got my gas down here since gas was 20-40 cents more up there.

The reason is that Calvert and Charles fall under the Metropolitan classification which requires an additive to the fuel to lower emissions. Fuel right in Waldorf/La Plata is more competitive thanks to their Virginia neighbors, but they still have the additive that drives the fuel prices up.

So, thanks to the greenie-weenie's, Calvert/Charles county fuel is higher in price than St. Mary's, and the wear on your vehicles' fuel system is greater, which means you'll have higher maintenance costs.

It has nothing to do with WaWa and Sheetz, in this case.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: gas prices

Originally posted by Oz
The reason is that Calvert and Charles fall under the Metropolitan classification which requires an additive to the fuel to lower emissions. Fuel right in Waldorf/La Plata is more competitive thanks to their Virginia neighbors, but they still have the additive that drives the fuel prices up.

So, thanks to the greenie-weenie's, Calvert/Charles county fuel is higher in price than St. Mary's, and the wear on your vehicles' fuel system is greater, which means you'll have higher maintenance costs.

AWESOME information! My director and I were JUST talking about this the other day. She lives in Calvert and I will be in Calvert - and she was recommending that I get gas here in St. Mary's due to the cheaper prices. Neither of us were sure why. Now, I can look like a knowledgeable young lady and march in there to tell her, heehee!

SmallTown

Football season!

Originally posted by Oz

Is this part of the claim that the dems didn't care about St. Marys county while in power?

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member

Originally posted by Oz

That's funny because I buy all my gas over in St. Mary's since I do most of my shopping over there too.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child

Originally posted by Oz

I don't know about all that. Outside of Lexington Park, gas is still the same price as in Charles County. Calvert seems to be at least a dime higher than the other two counties.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Re: Re: Re: gas prices

Originally posted by Tonio
I don't know about all that. Outside of Lexington Park, gas is still the same price as in Charles County. Calvert seems to be at least a dime higher than the other two counties.

I can tell you that Calvert and Charles both fall under the Metropolitan "jurisdiction" but how the merchants price their fuel would be related to competition in a particular area.