Metastatic Colon Cancer

SAB

Shirley
Feeling blue today. Looking for survival stories. Husband recently diagnosed . . . any stories/words of encouragement greatly appreciated. TIA - :huggy:

K

Kain99

The Big C... I am so sorry that you are faced with this. Diagnosis is the worst. Horror stories flash before your eyes and the fear can be crippling.

Once it settles in, things will get better.

Research can be a huge help! There are many support systems available both online and locally.

You are not alone..... :love:

Last edited by a moderator:

SAB

Shirley
Thanks!

:boxing: Trying to fight this! Can't wait to have him home again - he's been in the hospital since March. He's only 38 so hopefully he can beat this thing!

mdsmile44

I work with a guy that was dx last year. He has gone through the surgery and chemo. He has his good days and bad days....mostly good ones. Allow time for mood swings and "chemo brain" and give hugs as often as you can.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
My dad had cancer (not the same as your husband) by the time they caught it he was given 3 weeks to live, 3 months if he choose chemo.. He choose the chemo, during this he was given the option to do an experiment that had only been done 3 times in the world and wasn't sure what would come of it later down the road. He opted for the experiment and said if it doesn't work maybe it'll help someone else later in life. That was 6 years ago and he is still ALIVE and going well. They saved his life. He can't work anymore due to his equlibrium (sp) is off from the treatment, he moves a little slower than he used to and sometimes he gets chemo brain and can't remember what he was gonna say but he gets around just fine and is doing great.

Look into a good hospital and good doctors (this is his life)

What hospital is your husband in now?

SAB

Shirley
My dad had cancer (not the same as your husband) by the time they caught it he was given 3 weeks to live, 3 months if he choose chemo.. He choose the chemo, during this he was given the option to do an experiment that had only been done 3 times in the world and wasn't sure what would come of it later down the road. He opted for the experiment and said if it doesn't work maybe it'll help someone else later in life. That was 6 years ago and he is still ALIVE and going well. They saved his life. He can't work anymore due to his equlibrium (sp) is off from the treatment, he moves a little slower than he used to and sometimes he gets chemo brain and can't remember what he was gonna say but he gets around just fine and is doing great.

Look into a good hospital and good doctors (this is his life)

What hospital is your husband in now?

He's currently at Anne Arundel. Calvert said they couldn't handle it & transferred to Washington Hospital Center. They treated him badly & he transferred himself to Anne Arundel.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
He's currently at Anne Arundel. Calvert said they couldn't handle it & transferred to Washington Hospital Center. They treated him badly & he transferred himself to Anne Arundel.

Really Washington Hospital Center treated him badly? How? Thats where my dad was saved...

SAB

Shirley
Really Washington Hospital Center treated him badly? How? Thats where my dad was saved...

Yeah ... the doctors were like sorry about your luck and the nurses didn't help him at all. Meds always late & with a bad attitude . . .

SAB

Shirley
Thanks for the hugs & kind words ya'all. I've regrouped & am ready to face another day. :yay:

SAB

Shirley
do you remember who his doctor was?

No, I don't remember the doctor's name. It was the first beautiful Saturday in April and it was whichever oncologist pulled the short straw to cover that day. The doctor met with him all of 2 minutes, while he was drugged heavily (my husband that is, I hope), left him stunned with things we didn't know, and would not return later in the day to talk to family members about anything. Nurses were rude and lazy. Facilities were dirty. If you can survive the nurses, and sharing a dirty room with someone, maybe the doctors can break from golf and help someone out. Anne Arundel has been fantastic.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
No, I don't remember the doctor's name. It was the first beautiful Saturday in April and it was whichever oncologist pulled the short straw to cover that day. The doctor met with him all of 2 minutes, while he was drugged heavily (my husband that is, I hope), left him stunned with things we didn't know, and would not return later in the day to talk to family members about anything. Nurses were rude and lazy. Facilities were dirty. If you can survive the nurses, and sharing a dirty room with someone, maybe the doctors can break from golf and help someone out. Anne Arundel has been fantastic.

Wow, best of luck and many prayers to both of you..

checkingthenews

C'mon...Smile!

Cancer Institutes of America, I believe the closest one to us is in Philadelphia....they're supposed to be the best of the best. My heart goes to you, your husband is so very young.