Metcom meter reading

Clem72

So is it all made up? Do they do estimating? I was gone most of last month, with the water shut off, and the meter did not move (I recorded the number because I have had issues before). Bill comes this month and its THE MOST WATER I HAVE EVER USED (not by a lot, but it should have been 1/4 of normal). What the hell? Is there a separate meter outside and the one in my basement isn't the one they use? I will also note that I cant compare numbers with the bill they send, since the numbers on that bill are completely different than those on the meter in my basement.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
If I remember correctly, they do a physical reading every three months, with a "best guess" estimate the other two months. So, that third month is the catch-up if the prior two months were short of their estimate.

But I am frequently wrong. :sshrug:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If I remember correctly, they do a physical reading every three months, with a "best guess" estimate the other two months. So, that third month is the catch-up if the prior two months were short of their estimate.

But I am frequently wrong. :sshrug:
From MetCom FAQ -

Q. When is my meter read?

A. There are 16 routes, divided into 3 reading cycles with each meter being read once per month. The routes are designed so that each account has approximately 30 days between each meter read. Bills are based on the prior months usage. All water usage will be billed based on the tiers for the meter size. For customers with both water and sewer service, sewer usage will be billed based on water usage.

Clem72

Compare their current number with your numbers for past months, see if they line up.
I only took down last months number at the time I left to compare with when I came back. They don't bill exactly from the start of the month so I guess with my next bill I can do some sleuthing.

Does anyone know if they read the meter in your basement or if they have a separate external meter in their service access on the property?

PeoplesElbow

I only took down last months number at the time I left to compare with when I came back. They don't bill exactly from the start of the month so I guess with my next bill I can do some sleuthing.

Does anyone know if they read the meter in your basement or if they have a separate external meter in their service access on the property?
There should be a meter in your yard with an "antenna" on it they come up to and zap and it gives them the reading. I don't have a meter in my basement.

Clem72

There should be a meter in your yard with an "antenna" on it they come up to and zap and it gives them the reading. I don't have a meter in my basement.
Thanks. I don't have an obvious meter outside my house, there's a meter right where the water line enters the basement though I don't see an antenna on it. There is a buried box that has the main shutoff to the property right next to the street that I have never opened since I don't have the tool. I thought it might be in there.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Thanks. I don't have an obvious meter outside my house, there's a meter right where the water line enters the basement though I don't see an antenna on it. There is a buried box that has the main shutoff to the property right next to the street that I have never opened since I don't have the tool. I thought it might be in there.
That's where mine is, in an access cover right next to the street.

Tech

Check it, a few years back METCOM switched over to the wireless type. Mine has a white disc attached to box cover.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
From MetCom FAQ -

Q. When is my meter read?

A. There are 16 routes, divided into 3 reading cycles with each meter being read once per month. The routes are designed so that each account has approximately 30 days between each meter read. Bills are based on the prior months usage. All water usage will be billed based on the tiers for the meter size. For customers with both water and sewer service, sewer usage will be billed based on water usage.
:bawl: You proved me wrong.

I don't know if I'll ever get over this. 😕