Metcom says I need a plumber

So, just got my notice from Metcom) (actually I received four separate notices, waste much?) and will probably have the modification done but my question is, does this mean they will now actually bill me for my usage vice the standard charge? The notice says "as part of the Water Meter Project". I currently pay the same as my neighbors with six family members. I am the only one in my household.

imaref

So, just got my notice from Metcom) (actually I received four separate notices, waste much?) and will probably have the modification done but my question is, does this mean they will now actually bill me for my usage vice the standard charge? The notice says "as part of the Water Meter Project". I currently pay the same as my neighbors with six family members. I am the only one in my household.

Are you kidding? Take a look at what projects METCOM has in the coming years and their astronomical costs. Fat chance that those of us that use WAY less than the standard won't have to pay for others that have high usage. My guess is our bills will go up yearly for the next ten years...

C

czygvtwkr

Are you kidding? Take a look at what projects METCOM has in the coming years and their astronomical costs. Fat chance that those of us that use WAY less than the standard won't have to pay for others that have high usage. My guess is our bills will go up yearly for the next ten years...

Makes me wish I washed both my vehicles more and had automatic lawn sprinklers.

C

czygvtwkr

I did my own expansion tank installation today. Total cost $80, total time less than an hour. I also used the push-to-connect fittings without any problems. With those fittings, the only plumbing knowledge required was how to use a pipe cutter. No soldering, no blowtorch, just cut and press fit.

I was very careful to polish the pipe exterior and remove burrs from the pipe ends so that the internal o-ring gaskets would seal properly. Not properly cleaning the pipe is the main reason for leaks.

I posted some detailed step-by-step pictures and descriptive text here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/100307...ankInstallation?authkey=Gv1sRgCPCa6N372_auhgE

The comments for the pictures include a detailed parts and tooling list on the last image.

Did your tank come from Lowes? I have read a few reviews on there that claim the weld in the tank started leaking right after the warranty ran out.

Might want to check it occasionally, I would think it would only leak if the bladder was pushed down past the weld, but if there was a hole the pressurization of the tank would go to 0 psig and then it wouldn't provide expansion capability.

Goldenhawk

Did your tank come from Lowes? I have read a few reviews on there that claim the weld in the tank started leaking right after the warranty ran out.

Might want to check it occasionally, I would think it would only leak if the bladder was pushed down past the weld, but if there was a hole the pressurization of the tank would go to 0 psig and then it wouldn't provide expansion capability.

Yep, got it from Lowes. However, regardless of the vendor or manufacturer, the instructions AND numerous forum posts on various sites note that putting torque on the tank instead of using a wrench on the fitting can easily crack the neck weld, resulting in various Bad Things.

SexiYaYa

So metcom came and installed the new meter on my water yesterday. They also installed a backflow prevention device at no charge. However, they left me a note saying to contact a plumber and have them install a thermal expansion tank on my water heater immediately at my cost so my pipes don't get damaged by the water having nowhere to expand to when it heats.

Anybody know a reasonable and reputable plumber in St.Marys and how much it costs?

I just got my notice and need to have mine done prior to 07/14 :doh: Did you get your installed with a Plumber? If so, whom did you employee? How much was the cost?

Hate this..

imaref

I used B&W Plumbing (Lexington Park). If you look on yp.com they have a 10% off coupon. I waited until they gave me the total before presenting my coupon.

I like the way that he installed it--if the tank ever goes bad, it can easily be screwed off to put on a new one (and he showed me how to do this so I don't need a plumber to replace it).

SexiYaYa

I used B&W Plumbing (Lexington Park). If you look on yp.com they have a 10% off coupon. I waited until they gave me the total before presenting my coupon.

I like the way that he installed it--if the tank ever goes bad, it can easily be screwed off to put on a new one (and he showed me how to do this so I don't need a plumber to replace it).

THANK YOU for the info...do you mind sharing what your cost was for everything? Being a single homeowner living on a very modest salary, everything that needs to be repaired/fixed/replaced feels like a major blow...so, just trying to brace myself for the proposals when I get them. I will call at least three before I decide but nothing beats direct experience.:buddies:

dave1959

I just got my notice and need to have mine done prior to 07/14 :doh: Did you get your installed with a Plumber? If so, whom did you employee? How much was the cost?

Hate this..

I don't think you "have" to have one installed, only recommended.

SexiYaYa

Correct. However, from everything I have read and speaking with professionals (I work with construction professionals), it seems that this is a good precautionary measure installation. Also, it will be necessary for re-sale...which I do plan on doing within 5 years. Thanks again...this thread and all of the information have been very useful:buddies:

Correct. However, from everything I have read and speaking with professionals (I work with construction professionals), it seems that this is a good precautionary measure installation. Also, it will be necessary for re-sale...which I do plan on doing within 5 years. Thanks again...this thread and all of the information have been very useful:buddies:

Trust me.... you want one installed if Metcom installs the one-way check valve.

If you read back on my posts here, my static pressure was about 55 psi. Without the expansion tank, I saw pressures exceed 100 psi. With the expansion tank, not more than 65 psi.

SexiYaYa

Trust me.... you want one installed if Metcom installs the one-way check valve.

If you read back on my posts here, my static pressure was about 55 psi. Without the expansion tank, I saw pressures exceed 100 psi. With the expansion tank, not more than 65 psi.

Thank you GWguy...I did read your post as well:coffee:

I am NOT capable of doing this myself:killingme

Last edited:

imaref

THANK YOU for the info...do you mind sharing what your cost was for everything? Being a single homeowner living on a very modest salary, everything that needs to be repaired/fixed/replaced feels like a major blow...so, just trying to brace myself for the proposals when I get them. I will call at least three before I decide but nothing beats direct experience.:buddies:

Because I had my rusting/leaking garbage disposal uninstalled at the same time, I don't really know. I would say $125-$150 range if you're the only one doing it; if you get a neighbor or two have it done with the same plumber on the same day, I'd say $100-$120.

DO NOT tell them you have a coupon when you call for an estimate!!!:whistle:

SexiYaYa

Because I had my rusting/leaking garbage disposal uninstalled at the same time, I don't really know. I would say $125-$150 range if you're the only one doing it; if you get a neighbor or two have it done with the same plumber on the same day, I'd say $100-$120.

DO NOT tell them you have a coupon when you call for an estimate!!!:whistle:

panic attack avoided...thank you so much:smoochy: I just wanted a general idea of the cost before I started to call and get estimates. I don't like to get fu*&ed unless I know it's coming:lmao:

imaref

panic attack avoided...thank you so much:smoochy: I just wanted a general idea of the cost before I started to call and get estimates. I don't like to get fu*&ed unless I know it's coming:lmao:

Glad your panic attack was avoided. I watched him install it. It only takes about 20 minutes so a large part of the cost is the tank itself and the T valve.

You will need to turn off power to the water heater, then the plumber will ask you to turn on a couple of the hot water faucets to drain some hot water from the tank. You will also need a bucket under your T&P valve to catch overflow while he's working. They will cut the pipe running into the water heater, install a T joint, and then screw on the expansion tank. Some people have the expansion tank installed with a bracket on the wall, but I like the way he did it so I can unscrew/replace it myself if it ever goes bad.

Glad your panic attack was avoided. I watched him install it. It only takes about 20 minutes so a large part of the cost is the tank itself and the T valve.

You will need to turn off power to the water heater, then the plumber will ask you to turn on a couple of the hot water faucets to drain some hot water from the tank. You will also need a bucket under your T&P valve to catch overflow while he's working. They will cut the pipe running into the water heater, install a T joint, and then screw on the expansion tank. Some people have the expansion tank installed with a bracket on the wall, but I like the way he did it so I can unscrew/replace it myself if it ever goes bad.

You didn't mention a few key steps, hoping the plumber did this...

In order for the expansion tank to work properly, you have to know the line pressure before the installation. This means a pressure gauge has to be installed, or at least one used temporarily to get a reading. This pressure is required for the expansion tank charge. The tank comes pre-charged with a few pounds of air in the bladder, but it needs to be inflated (charged) to a few pounds OVER the static pressure of the line, or the tank isn't doing it's job.

imaref

You didn't mention a few key steps, hoping the plumber did this...

In order for the expansion tank to work properly, you have to know the line pressure before the installation. This means a pressure gauge has to be installed, or at least one used temporarily to get a reading. This pressure is required for the expansion tank charge. The tank comes pre-charged with a few pounds of air in the bladder, but it needs to be inflated (charged) to a few pounds OVER the static pressure of the line, or the tank isn't doing it's job.

There is a pressure gauge on the water line right near the water heater so I assume he used that.