Metrocast--anybody seeing the new internet speeds yet?

wubbles

Since it hasn't been advertised in St. Mary's, I'd say we're at least 10 months away from any speed increase. It looks like the information the OP had was specifically for New Hampshire.

Sigh, I guess it's another year of internet in 2 dimensions. One of these days I'll have a helmet for internet.

imaref

Thanks koann00 and wubbles--after resetting everything I'm getting 112/12. Curious to see how the speeds hold up in the evenings during peak Netflix use...

Danzig

5106044786.jpg

Last edited:

koan00

I think all the tiers are getting speed bumps. Try unplugging and re-plugging the power to your modem, and then run a speed test. I think you might be bumped up to 35 Mbps.

Last edited:

Danzig

$73.95, I had to look it up, I auto pay.

I disabled the wireless on my all in one modem/router and bought a nighthawk wireless router.

My wireless modem/router NEVER got wireless speeds close to what it should have, I got sick of trying everything from resetting, upgrading firmware, etc. It was well worth the $ for a good wireless router with a much stronger signal.

imaref

It's rare to get advertised speeds if you use wireless. When the Ultra package download speed was 75, I would get around 78 when using an ethernet cord, and about 36 when using wireless. Since my router is on the second floor but I use a laptop downstairs, I ran a really long ethernet cord under the carpet on the stairs and around the edge of the living room so I can plug in the laptop and get the speed I'm paying for.

TWL

Kernel panic: Aiee.......
It's rare to get advertised speeds if you use wireless. When the Ultra package download speed was 75, I would get around 78 when using an ethernet cord, and about 36 when using wireless. Since my router is on the second floor but I use a laptop downstairs, I ran a really long ethernet cord under the carpet on the stairs and around the edge of the living room so I can plug in the laptop and get the speed I'm paying for.

I use a couple of moca adapters between floors. RG6 cable is already run in the walls, so no need for a CAT5 ethernet cable to trip on or get crushed.

Looks like I was wrong about the speed upgrade. One of the times I don't mind being wrong. I've been getting 36/4 consistently all day. I have a lower Tier VIP package.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I use a couple of moca adapters between floors. RG6 cable is already run in the walls, so no need for a CAT5 ethernet cable to trip on or get crushed. Looks like I was wrong about the speed upgrade. One of the times I don't mind being wrong. I've been getting 36/4 consistently all day. I have a lower Tier VIP package.

How are Tig and the kids?

yobear

I am seeing about 110 Mbps down 12 Mbps up..I am however getting great ping speeds of < 8ms.

Screen Shot 2016-02-23 at 4.40.06 PM.jpg

Last edited:

imaref

Just did a speed test at peak usage time (8:30PM) and I'm pretty pleased (with both the speeds and the ping time):

Goldenhawk

I have the Metrocast "Turbo" plan (next to highest tier). My results were still showing 20 down, 2 up. So I restarted the modem and it bumped up to 33 down, 2 up. Yay! Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
I think all the tiers are getting speed bumps. Try unplugging and re-plugging the power to your modem, and then run a speed test. I think you might be bumped up to 35 Mbps.

I have the Metrocast "Turbo" plan (next to highest tier). My results were still showing 20 down, 2 up. So I restarted the modem and it bumped up to 33 down, 2 up. Yay! Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

We have the "Turbo Plan" too.
After the last power outage which restarted the modem we are getting 38 down/ 5 up.
$62/month

imaref

While we're happy with the speeds (which have been rock steady even during evening hours), they need to increase the data caps. The top plan (which we have) has a data cap of 350GB a month. With three adults, that's nothing. I'm afraid to subscribe to Netflix for fear of hitting the cap and getting told to take a hike (and having no other competitors to switch to). Even stingy AT&T Uverse just upped their caps--customers who have 100Mbps service (like we have with Metrocast) have a data cap of 1 TERABYTE per month. That seems a whole lot more reasonable for a household per month. My guess is they don't want people signing up for Netflix and cutting their cable.

I read online that to help fight data caps, customers should complain to the FCC. I did this about two weeks ago and once the complaint is made online with the FCC, Metrocast had 10 days to respond to my complaint by mail. You should see the form letter that arrived yesterday. What a piece of dreck. We all know it's about money.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
While we're happy with the speeds (which have been rock steady even during evening hours), they need to increase the data caps. The top plan (which we have) has a data cap of 350GB a month. With three adults, that's nothing. I'm afraid to subscribe to Netflix for fear of hitting the cap and getting told to take a hike (and having no other competitors to switch to). Even stingy AT&T Uverse just upped their caps--customers who have 100Mbps service (like we have with Metrocast) have a data cap of 1 TERABYTE per month. That seems a whole lot more reasonable for a household per month. My guess is they don't want people signing up for Netflix and cutting their cable.

I read online that to help fight data caps, customers should complain to the FCC. I did this about two weeks ago and once the complaint is made online with the FCC, Metrocast had 10 days to respond to my complaint by mail. You should see the form letter that arrived yesterday. What a piece of dreck. We all know it's about money.
There is a max download cap?

officeguy

What is the highest wifi standard your laptop supports ? If it is a newer laptop with wireless N or wireless AC, you should not run into a speed issue on the wireless limb of the connection. If your laptop has a wireless N or wireless AC card, upgrading your wireless router may give you the full speed.