Metrocast being sold to Comcast?

koan00

I just heard some rumors about this and was wondering if it was true?

I thought the whole reason Comcast didnt own our county already was because they didnt want to get hit by anti-monopoly rules. (However Verizon Fios just recently expanded into other parts of this county, so maybe they dont have worry about that any more?)

Curiously, I have been getting speed test results in the 50Mbps range instead of the 35 I pay for. And wouldn't you know it Comcast's closest speed tier is a 50Mbps tier. Coincidence?

DEEKAYPEE8569

I just heard some rumors about this and was wondering if it was true?

I thought the whole reason Comcast didnt own our county already was because they didnt want to get hit by anti-monopoly rules. (However Verizon Fios just recently expanded into other parts of this county, so maybe they dont have worry about that any more?)

Curiously, I have been getting speed test results in the 50Mbps range instead of the 35 I pay for. And wouldn't you know it Comcast's closest speed tier is a 50Mbps tier. Coincidence?

This may be all well and good from a business perspective; but as customers, what can we expect, other than a possible rise in cable/internet bills?

If you're getting a faster internet speed, that's great. Right? I would just be paying closer attention to your bill. Don't want any of that, 'Oh, we weren't charging you enough, so you owe $xx to bring your account current; and oh-by-the-way, your future bills will be $xxx.00 (likely considerably higher)

There hasn't been anything in the local news or in the papers, has there?
Anything in the mail? Curious.....however, if Comcast can do better.....Wait-n-see how it shakes out I guess.

koan00

My bill hasn't changed, and I just got the updated Metrocast price flyer in the mail.

Metrocast's highest tier is 69.99 for 35/2 now. (Pricing)

Under Comcast, its 59.99 for 12 months then 74.99, for 50/10 (which is the closest in price to Metrocast's highest tier). They also have even higher tiers that Metrocast doesn't offer (Pricing)

To be honest, I wasn't too thrilled with Comcast back when I lived elsewhere and could get them. But the higher speeds are tempting and it would be nice to have a real alternative to DirecTV for TV.

Of course the point is moot if they aren't really being sold. And there hasn't been any flyers, just rumors.

wunsent

Please let Comcast buy out Metrocast! I want Internet service that doesn't routinely drop for no reason.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

I have FiOS 35/35 and routinely test out at 42

Last edited: