Micheal's in California Closing????

sparkyaclown

I was passing the First Colony Shopping Center yesterday and saw a sign up stating that Staple's was here to stay but that there was a large space to rent next to them. Is Micheal's closing?

BernieP

Resident PIA
saw that over the weekend but there were no "gong out of business" type sales at Michael's - so who knows?

I have a friend that works there. Answer is NO. Staples is reducing their footprint so another store front will be built in between Staples and Michael's.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I have a friend that works there. Answer is NO. Staples is reducing their footprint so another store front will be built in between Staples and Michael's.

ah, kind of wondered if that was what was happening, certainly no room to build and as I said, Michael's didn't show any signs of trying do some inventory reduction.

ltown81

This is correct. Staples has the second biggest ecommerce retail site behind Amazon. My guess is they are moving to smaller stores because most large business customers order online and get free delivery.

ciwmj

This is correct. Staples has the second biggest ecommerce retail site behind Amazon. My guess is they are moving to smaller stores because most large business customers order online and get free delivery.

The last few times I have been to Staples it looked like they were going out of business, the shelves were almost bare in some areas. Have found that I can get same deal at BJ's on a lot of things.

Staples is getting rid of their furniture department, thus freeing up a lot of floor space. That, combined with some re-allocation of existing floor space will allow them to reduce their footprint.

I'm glad KMart is closing. Hopefully something good will fill the storefront. Even better, tear down the entire strip and re-build a better facility.

ltown81

The furniture department was pretty useless anyway. Kmart is kinda stange. On one hand, I prefer going there than Walmart because it is not as massive, and is actually kinda clean. The flip side is, NO ONE shops there, and it reminds me of Woolworths before it went out of business. With Target being a block down, it is doomed. Only time I go in there is when I am waiting on my Chinese food. Laurel Glenn is really about the slummiest shopping center on 235 (not counting Millison), however that all hinges on what is in it. When your anchors are Food Lion, and Kmart, with a Popeyes and McDonalds in the parking lot..not much you can do.

Staples is getting rid of their furniture department, thus freeing up a lot of floor space. That, combined with some re-allocation of existing floor space will allow them to reduce their footprint.

I'm glad KMart is closing. Hopefully something good will fill the storefront. Even better, tear down the entire strip and re-build a better facility.

Goldenhawk

When your anchors are Food Lion, and Kmart, with a Popeyes and McDonalds in the parking lot..not much you can do.
When I moved into this town back in '90, the only four shopping centers were San Souci, St Mary's Square, Millison Plaza, and Laurel Glenn. All three had the same basic problem. Of those, only San Souci seems to have moved forward with the times, and tries to attract an upscale clientele.

Maybe we can get Home Depot to move into the KMart space.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
When I moved into this town back in '90, the only four shopping centers were San Souci, St Mary's Square, Millison Plaza, and Laurel Glenn. All three had the same basic problem. Of those, only San Souci seems to have moved forward with the times, and tries to attract an upscale clientele.

You forgot Wildewood.

BernieP

Resident PIA

a Dollar store and an bigger liquor store?

ltown81

What is funny is San Souci, Millison Plaza, and Laurel Glenn are all run by the Millison's. I feel like they may have run the square at one point also. They seem to have trouble keeping anything high end. Even San Souci really does not have anything premium in it.

CrashTest

Everytime a center or business gets old and tired, the brainiacs in Leonardtown allow for the building of a new center or business, and the old ones just sit boarded up. Flavor of the Month Economic Development Plan.

ltown81

I would not say Leonardtown has anything to do with it. It is all about the talent managing the center. For instance, the new McDonalds, and Autozone along with a store like Peebles are actually overachieving for St. Mary's Square given the location. Wildewood has continually reinvented itself, and is now the best it has ever been IMO. First Colony has had the same name brand stores since it opened with no decline. The issue is..most every "not nice shopping center" in the county is managed by the same people being Millison. That is the overriding coincidence. The thing to about retail is companies are picky about what their stores are next to. No national brand is gonna want to be next to Food Lion, Hong Kong III, Third Eye Comics, and 4 vacant spots including an anchor.

Everytime a center or business gets old and tired, the brainiacs in Leonardtown allow for the building of a new center or business, and the old ones just sit boarded up. Flavor of the Month Economic Development Plan.