Micheal's in California Closing????

BernieP

Resident PIA
I know it shocked me. First example of a WaWa failure that I'd ever heard of.

We do need more liquor stores though....:evil:
in that case GMR is fairly well represented, if you include the one on Rt 5 at the light... 6 outlets to get you booze, 7 before McKay's closed.
How many miles form Rt 5 to Rt 235? 7 liquor stores within that distance.
Every center on 235 has one liquor store, I think we have it covered.

CrashTest

The answer is right there in your question: liquor licenses are specially regulated and controlled and special rules apply (rightly or wrongly..I happen to think mostly wrongly but that's separate debate). A special board approves and administers them (nothing to do directly with P&Z/Land Use either).

The same has never been true - and never should be true - of most all other retail activities.

The guy who owns the Long John's on GMR is not making any money selling fish so he applied for a liquor license in hopes of turning his building into a liquor store. He was denied. From what I read, he was denied for the following reasons...

1 - too many liquor stores already on GMR and more competition will drive someone out of business.
2 - too many liquor stores already on GMR and liquor stores attract seedy folks.

Either way, it's the county trying to "engineer" economic development.

Tech

I know it shocked me. First example of a WaWa failure that I'd ever heard of.

We do need more liquor stores though....:evil:

WaWa closes stores all the time when they become unprofitable. When they started, they were about the same size as a 7-11 and looked like them too. About 25 years ago they started adding fuel sales to the stores, the small ones were closed if there was a larger one with fuel was near by. Others were closed when changing demographics made them unprofitable.

BernieP

Resident PIA
The guy who owns the Long John's on GMR is not making any money selling fish so he applied for a liquor license in hopes of turning his building into a liquor store. He was denied. From what I read, he was denied for the following reasons...

1 - too many liquor stores already on GMR and more competition will drive someone out of business.
2 - too many liquor stores already on GMR and liquor stores attract seedy folks.

Either way, it's the county trying to "engineer" economic development.

The LCB has the right, the legal duty, to issue and supervise licenses for the sale of alcoholic beverages. That is a rather narrow scope of businesses that lawmakers (and citizens) have deemed necessary to regulate.
If you want the state to regulate more business send the list to your elected officials. I'm sure the idea of collecting fees and expanding government will fall on a receptive audience.
Until then, the zoning board has only so much say in land use. If they go beyond the legal authority they have been granted they will be facing law suites from landowners and developers.

CrashTest

The LCB has the right, the legal duty, to issue and supervise licenses for the sale of alcoholic beverages. That is a rather narrow scope of businesses that lawmakers (and citizens) have deemed necessary to regulate.
If you want the state to regulate more business send the list to your elected officials. I'm sure the idea of collecting fees and expanding government will fall on a receptive audience.
Until then, the zoning board has only so much say in land use. If they go beyond the legal authority they have been granted they will be facing law suites from landowners and developers.

But they are regulating based on economic reasons.