Michelle’s school lunch program going to the pigs

Hijinx

"We throw away a ton of food"....:mad:

It's a bit like horses I guess.

You can lead a child to healthy food, but you can't make them eat it.

Actually I would have thought the kids would eat the fruit and toss away the garbage they serve as an entree'.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
It's a bit like horses I guess.

You can lead a child to healthy food, but you can't make them eat it.

Actually I would have thought the kids would eat the fruit and toss away the garbage they serve as an entree'.

When I was younger and my mother was alive, she only made us baked chicken or fish sticks for dinner but more often than not, we had baked chicken. Sometimes we got a side to go with our fish sticks or baked chicken but most often we did not. And when we did get a side, it was stewed tomatoes which, even to this day, I'd rather eat dog crap vs. wet soggy bread and tomatoes or carrots (which made me happy but my sister, not so much).

We never had anything sweet in the house so we would put butter and sugar on bread and lightly toast it in the oven.

So when I was growing up, my sister and I loved school lunches. :lol:

The problem with fruit is that many people on a budget will buy cheaper foods, canned veggies vs. expensive fruits and fresh veggies. Many children are not exposed early on to healthy eating. For my sisters and I, it came much later when we got older.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
None of this is new - kids have been throwing away their school lunch for at least 45 years (which is my period of personal observation). Nice, though, that the food is being repurposed instead of just wasted.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
None of this is new - kids have been throwing away their school lunch for at least 45 years (which is my period of personal observation). Nice, though, that the food is being repurposed instead of just wasted.

Not just repurposed but used to make bacon. :cartwheel

PJay

When I was younger and my mother was alive, she only made us baked chicken or fish sticks for dinner but more often than not, we had baked chicken. Sometimes we got a side to go with our fish sticks or baked chicken but most often we did not. And when we did get a side, it was stewed tomatoes which, even to this day, I'd rather eat dog crap vs. wet soggy bread and tomatoes or carrots (which made me happy but my sister, not so much).

We never had anything sweet in the house so we would put butter and sugar on bread and lightly toast it in the oven.

So when I was growing up, my sister and I loved school lunches. :lol:

The problem with fruit is that many people on a budget will buy cheaper foods, canned veggies vs. expensive fruits and fresh veggies. Many children are not exposed early on to healthy eating. For my sisters and I, it came much later when we got older.

Was that all she knew how to cook? Or were you poor?

I had a wicked stepmom....all I got every day was a cheese sandwich..

One time an Aunt and Uncle came to visit, and so there was a plate of fried chicken in the fridge. I was so hungry I ate all of it. When it was discovered missing my Aunt took the blame.

Last edited:

ironintestines

Non-Premo
Kudos to the hog farmer for making use of excellent feed supplement.
I raised hogs 27 years ago and used to get a truck load of day old bread, milk, yogurt, pies, cakes, ect on Tuesdays & Thursdays. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the product, it was just out dated and had to be removed from the shelf. I had hungry hogs and a friend that was a manager at foodlion who was throwing this stuff away. It was a great deal.
Fast-forward to today, and the same outdated stuff is removed from the shelves and thrown away, EXCEPT, no one can get any of the product because corporate policy is the outdated items are to be destroyed. It's now thrown into a locked dumpster and bleach is poured on it to insure it can not be recycled.

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Was that all she knew how to cook? Or were you poor?

I had a wicked stepmom....all I got every day was a cheese sandwich..

One time an Aunt and Uncle came to visit, and so there was a plate of fried chicken in the fridge. I was so hungry I ate all of it. When it was discovered missing my Aunt took the blame.

It was a combination of both and my mother suffered horribly from severe depression that began after the birth of my handicapped sister. My sister and I got invited to have dinner often at other people's houses close by so that was always nice. Neighbors knew something wasn't right; something I learned much later in life. Depression wasn't even spoken about in the 70's. When my dad was home in the evenings, he cooked and it wasn't baked chicken or fish sticks.

Now, I was served a Banana Mayonnaise Sandwich at one of the houses I frequented, often and I ate it. I learned to like to. :biggrin:

If it wasn't for neighbors, school lunches and my grandparents, I might have thrown myself off a bridge eating baked chicken and fish sticks every night.

Iron,

Wow! I grew up next to a working farm and was there often. They always fed the pigs food from area stores and restaurants.
I didn't realized that changed. You know.... they want us to save the enviroment and using food that is tossed away for another purpose seems like a perfect start.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
You know.... they want us to save the enviroment and using food that is tossed away for another purpose seems like a perfect start.

However, "they" don't want us eating beef, pork and other wholesome foods because the so-called 'carbon footprint' on these foods is causing the earth to burn up from climate change. "They" would prefer we die in a fire and reduce the population so 'they' can enjoy all that green. In the interim, 'they' would prefer we take that uneaten food and give it to the homeless (and why not just give the homeless our homes while we're at it?)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
However, "they" don't want us eating beef, pork and other wholesome foods because the so-called 'carbon footprint' on these foods is causing the earth to burn up from climate change. "They" would prefer we die in a fire and reduce the population so 'they' can enjoy all that green. In the interim, 'they' would prefer we take that uneaten food and give it to the homeless (and why not just give the homeless our homes while we're at it?)

Who is "they"? That handful of nutters whom we should be ignoring and not giving legitimacy? Why give a damn about what some tiny little group of fringers think? They are not a threat to you.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Who is "they"? That handful of nutters whom we should be ignoring and not giving legitimacy? Why give a damn about what some tiny little group of fringers think? They are not a threat to you.

Through the omnipotent forces of entities like FDA, DoE and EPA..."they" most certainly are legitimate and "they" most certainly are in control of more and more every year that passes.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka

You obviously haven't been listening to NPR lately.

ironintestines

Non-Premo
Through the omnipotent forces of entities like FDA, DoE and EPA..."they" most certainly are legitimate and "they" most certainly are in control of more and more every year that passes.

Preach!!

"They" most certainly are the ones who are whittling away at our rights, day after day by 6 people committee votes. "They" ruined the light bulb, "They"'re destroying the coal industry, "They" ruined small engine carburetors, "They" are turning the internet into a utility.

Here's a list of who "They" are-- http://www.usa.gov/directory/federal/index.shtml

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Another thing I find incredibly amusing about the right -- fighting AGAINST people eating healthier school lunches and having a healthier lifestyle, just because Michelle Obama and Mika Brzezinski want younger Americans to have a healthier lifestyle.

When I was a kid, I didn't touch school lunches -- not because they were healthy or unhealthy, but because the food was genuine ####. Honestly, the elementary and middle schools I went to, they served ####ing straight grease for lunch. I don't think I touched a school lunch my senior year in high school.

Last edited:

BigBlue

THEY is whomever will scare you , if you think the government is after you it is the goverment ,if you think it is the tea party it is them , if you are afraid of Blacks then it is them ,etc .

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Another thing I find incredibly amusing about the right -- fighting AGAINST people eating healthier school lunches ..

One again...you miss the main point: What I and many others (not including you..I get that) actually oppose is the ever-expanding control and overreach of the Federal government. In whatever forms it takes.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
One again...you miss the main point: What I and many others (not including you..I get that) actually oppose is the ever-expanding control and overreach of the Federal government. In whatever forms it takes.

Dude, it's a school lunch. A government program. Why wouldn't they control it?