Mike got jacked!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I can't believe you don't see my point. MY POINT is that "stupid people make derogatory comments about a place they know no history about!
Because they aren't denigrating the HISTORY.. they are complaining about NOW.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If I may ...

Thought those flat tops were off-base housing for Navy personnel back in the day. Had an in-law Petty Officer live in one of those tiny shacks with his family, circa '91? time frame. Rough, as in worn out, quarters then.

I wonder if Navy relocation packets for Navy personnel and Defense Contractors to NAS specifically say to avoid renting,or buying, or visiting, the Lexington Park area. Ya know, like, when the State Department issues travel advisories, or restrictions for Americans, to dangerous countries?

What is interesting, that since the Navy, and associated businesses, are of such a vital importance to St. Mary's, why isn't Lexington Park a topic of discussion at every single Commissioner's meeting trying to come up with a plan? Like the old Raley's building, and others. A good case of eminent domain as if I ever saw one.
I have a BIL that lived in the flat-tops, and as far as I know his wasn't a Navy family.. but I could be wrong.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
If I may ...

What is interesting, that since the Navy, and associated businesses, are of such a vital importance to St. Mary's, why isn't Lexington Park a topic of discussion at every single Commissioner's meeting trying to come up with a plan?
That would be racist......you have to admit you have a problem before you can solve it

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Everywhere you have a large concentrated group of certain individuals, you also have crime and squalor. I consider myself a realist. If you want to label me as something else, that's YOUR problem.

(not implying you BD)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm assuming it takes a lot to break the back of somebody like Mike.. it's a shame, but I have to guess this was the straw that broke him.

God only knows what he's had to put up with, and the battles he has had to fight with his location.. even WAWA (was it a WAWA?) surrendered to the criminal masses there, and it only took them a couple of months, not decades, to abandon all hope.

To endure this long speaks volumes to his strength and caring.. I hope he made a difference in a few lives in the process.

BernieP

Resident PIA
You forgot The Flat Tops, Lex Park was much more colorful when The Flat Tops were rentals.....
If I offended anyone besides Butt Hurt, so be it. The "Flat Tops" are a perfect case on point.
75 years ago they were probably considered decent, by military housing standards. There is nothing wrong with old buildings, old towns, with history and heritage. But they have to be maintained, if allowed to rot, they simply become a rat infested eyesore.
I'm terribly sorry if you (the butt hurt) grew up in the community when it was young, but there is little left there for civic pride.
A couple of new, functional government buildings and then run down or abandoned buildings. That includes the shopping centers.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Everywhere you have a large concentrated group of certain individuals, you also have crime and squalor. I consider myself a realist. If you want to label me as something else, that's YOUR problem.

(not implying you BD)
I've always wondered why pointing out the obvious somehow made you a bigot. In some people's mind.

BernieP

Resident PIA
If I may ...

Thought those flat tops were off-base housing for Navy personnel back in the day. Had an in-law Petty Officer live in one of those tiny shacks with his family, circa '91? time frame. Rough, as in worn out, quarters then.

I wonder if Navy relocation packets for Navy personnel and Defense Contractors to NAS specifically say to avoid renting,or buying, or visiting, the Lexington Park area. Ya know, like, when the State Department issues travel advisories, or restrictions for Americans, to dangerous countries?

What is interesting, that since the Navy, and associated businesses, are of such a vital importance to St. Mary's, why isn't Lexington Park a topic of discussion at every single Commissioner's meeting trying to come up with a plan? Like the old Raley's building, and others. A good case of eminent domain as if I ever saw one.

The Navy / US Government provided no such warning - at least for Federal Employees relocating. Contractors might get some information from Pax River, but I believe their relocation is handled by their company.

Most of the information came as word of mouth, from people who lived here. I know that the real estate agent we used only pursued two lines with us, (1) you don't really want to live across the bridge (in Calvert) and (2) all the schools are the same, they are run by the county.
By law, I don't think they can tell you where not to look. By law, they represent the seller unless you pay them to be a buyers agent.,

If you want to know what the federal government thinks of it's employees, look no further then the Defense Travel System and their priority hotel program. For those not familiar, the new rule is that DTS should book your room for you, they know better, i.e. they have hotels that have agreed to take a rate lower than per diem. If you choose to not use this option you will be billed for the difference, even if your room is within per diem.

The old Belvadere is on the list - what's in now, a Motel 6, we'll leave the red light on for you.

It wouldn't surprise me to find the A&E on the list soon, why pay for the day when you can rent by the hour.

Back to relocation, hotels on the Calvert side were not considered within the Pax River area when visiting, you were limited to the few hotels in town (if you wanted to be reimbursed).

Safety is not their concern, saving a few dollars is.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I've always wondered why pointing out the obvious somehow made you a bigot. In some people's mind.
It's always puzzled me as well. Back in the day, I was "outted" as a racist by a certain Gerber daisy farmer on these forums because I used the term "they". Not what I said about "them", mind you, just the fact that I referred to "them" as "they". I'm glad to know others are aware of the difference between race and culture.

I'm a culturist. :lmao:

BernieP

Resident PIA
I'm a culturist. :lmao:
Uncultured or cultured?

You can't even say that now. Can't judge, can't have the perception of prejudice towards race, or LQBTQxyz, sexist, not one
But white male stereotypes, well have at it.

But you can see the effect of the put upon culture in how they follow simple rules and obey laws.
Walk or ride a bike in the road, at night without lights and dark clothing.
Scream at law enforcement if they are stopped. They make a federal case of out of the smallest thing because they didn't do it.... even they are caught with their hand in the cookie jar.

Mayhem

Can I be your super hero?
How many years have you lived in Lexington Park? You seem to think you know about Great Mills Rd. Was it a bad street when you went to school, shopped, eat out at Pizza Hut, or Rustlers Steak House??? Before your time here huh? Thought so. The people that complain about St. Mary's the most are the transplants that are too stupid not to buy a house under the Naval Air Test Center's flight pattern. !!
You really trying to go back 50 or 60 years to defend great mills, Lexington park? It's a piece of crap always has been... definitely been for long enough...

Last edited:

gemma_rae

You really trying to go back 50 or 60 years to defend great mills, Lexington park? It's a piece of crap always has been... definitely been for long enough...
Please, please, please make this your avatar. Pretty please?:flowers:

DannyMotorcycle

I always say people need to abandon bad areas.. Luckily this time it was a distraction and theft... could have been a homicide and theft.. yes idiots do the stupidest things.. Hoods are self filtering.. the smart people leave.. the dummies stay and suffer..
Post pics of the bike so people can look out? hopefully you have the serial # recorded..
post video of security camera to embarrass the thieves?